IGNORED

GPS Manual Lock Install

MachineJoe

I installed a manual lock today. This is the same setup that’s been posted on another forum a few years back.

It took a lot of tweaking to get it just right but I think it turned out pretty good.

466664CB-0CB1-4ED2-9F25-CA7A1A9D7885.jpeg

27C77C4D-B15C-4A21-BF98-26778953C4F8.jpeg

D2F9BCF3-0094-4A02-BD46-0CA23FBC90E9.jpeg

C90C6DAA-3A40-47A0-884B-5FB478DE01AA.jpeg

7 hours ago, MachineJoe said:

I installed a manual lock today. This is the same setup that’s been posted on another forum a few years back.

It took a lot of tweaking to get it just right but I think it turned out pretty good.

Good morning Machine Joe.

I would love to know if you can add any more detail to the historic information that has been posted.

Did you document it in any way. 

The choice of lock is important in terms of barrel length and locking arm length.

It would be great to have a more detailed walkthru. It certainly looks way better than the electric one that is available.

• Thanks 1

Hello AndyS and Carlisja,

https://1200rt.com/index.php/topic,1325.0.html

This guy did a good job in making pics and noting.

A few of my own notes to add to his,

1) don't use duct tape on the plastic. I used it on the underside to protect the paint. The paint peeled off with the tape. I didn't dare use it on the top side after that.

2) Tubular Cam Lock, I liked this one for the black finish. FJM Security 2400AS-BLK-KD Tubular Cam Lock with 5/8" Cylinder and Black Finish, Keyed Different

3) I had to custom make a washer on my lathe from black plastic to raise the lock plate/blade (underside) to proper height. You can see the washer on the last pic posted.

4) The lock plate/blade needs to be thinned down at the tip from 1/8" thickness to 3/32 or 1/16" . there's not much room in there when it's all assembled. I had to make those mods to the blade after the 3rd pic was taken.

5) It's easy to screw up the plastic parts so bring a bag of patients with you as you're locating the 3/4" hole through the top and slitting the slot for the locking blade.

I was thinking of offering the installation work for a fee to anyone interested.

Maybe I'll bring it up this fall/winter as us in the north half of the states put our bikes on their center stands for longer periods of time.

• Thanks 1