Re-beemer

Is clunky shifting sound normal?

Re-beemer

Just bought ‘13 Camhead.. Previously owned ‘93 K75,  which I sold in ‘03, so it has been awhile since I have driven a Beemer.  Gear changes on ‘13  ,particularly going from 1 to 2 amd 2 to 3, soundsp “clunky”.   Upper changes are “quiet”. Don’t remember that on my ‘93.  Normal?

Rinkydink

LSSL

Loud shifts saves lives!

Pappy35

I bought mine used a couple of years ago and it was my first ever BMW. It's like shifting a farm tractor. 14,000 miles later, it's the same. Thus I conclude this is completely normal and I like it.

MontanaMark

ReBeemer,

I upgraded from a 1999 RT to a 2013 RT last August.  Shifting on the 2013 is deluxe compared to the 1999.  Still, there is the classic Oilhead 'clunk', just not as pronounced.  Overall, I really like the 2013;  smooth, powerful, light and best of all - cruise control!

Seriously, if you want to see what a real tractor transmission feels like, ride a R1100RT!

Cheers,

Mark

• Haha 1

Rinkydink
8 hours ago, MontanaMark said:

ReBeemer,

I upgraded from a 1999 RT to a 2013 RT last August.  Shifting on the 2013 is deluxe compared to the 1999.  Still, there is the classic Oilhead 'clunk', just not as pronounced.  Overall, I really like the 2013;  smooth, powerful, light and best of all - cruise control!

Seriously, if you want to see what a real tractor transmission feels like, ride a R1100RT!

Cheers,

Mark

If you want a real tractor transmission ride a R90/6  

• Like 1

MontanaMark

Forgot to mention, I have a 92 K75s as well,  I shifts like butter.  Never could figure out how BMW managed to make such a nice transmission for the K bikes, yet still have a such a clunker for the R bikes!  In this world, some questions were never meant to be answered...

Cheers,

Mark

Re-beemer

Thanks guys!

Hosstage

If you want real tractor like clunk-shifting, try a 2007 up Harley 6 speed, it actually sounds like you are shifting without using the clutch. Trust me, after riding one of those, you will think yours is the smoothest shifting bike you've ever ridden.

Much like the HD engines have nicknames, the 6 speed Cruise Drive is affectionately called "The Clunk Drive", for good reason.

lkraus

When I first got my RT , the clunking convinced me that I had essentially bought a truck with three on the tree.  Leaving work, everybody would turn and look to see what made that horrible sound when I shifted from neutral to first. I had a habit of coasting to stop signs while shifting down to first - clunk, clunk, clunk. Passengers wondered how soon they would have to get off and push.

The clunk comes from gears meshing while rotating at different speeds,  slamming into each other. The clunk is worse in lower gears because the difference in ratios is greater.They start out at compatible speeds, but they get out of synch as soon as you pull in the clutch. So if you pull the clutch, then shift, then release the clutch, you will get a pretty good clunk, because there  is an instant that the gears are not engaged .  If you apply light pressure on the shift lever until you feel resistance while at the same time pulling in the clutch, the gears will shift as soon as the clutch relieves sufficient pressure on the driven gears, the gears will have no time to slow down, and there will little/no clunk.  This takes some practice, as you can damage the shift forks with too much pressure or by applying prolonged pressure without shifting. The key is operating the shift lever and clutch together, not as separate motions. Keeping the gears engaged as much of the time as possible will greatly reduce the clunking, and N->First can be quiet enough that you will need the dash indicator to be sure it is in gear.

But yeah, it's gonna clunk at times.

Glockdawg

Clunking is normal across the line up.  However, I've found the right oil does minimize the feel, but not the noise.