IGNORED

IPhone Hardware

KeyLime

What’s my best bet attaching an iPhone 7 to my F650GST handlebar.   I think I’ve narrowed it to Tackform or Techmount.  Any other suggestions will be appreciated.

Your best bet is to not attach your iPhone to the bike.  More often than not the iPhone optical image stabilizer mechanism will be destroyed by vibration.  Google it a bit. I see lots of failure reports, nobody saying they have done it long term with any mount.  

szurszewski

I have an iPhone X - I run it on or near the bars on my R1200GS and R1100S. I did kill the bit you mentioned on a previous iPhone X that was mounted on the bars of an R9T. Not sure if I had bad luck then or good luck now. 

I use a Perfect Squeeze mount. Very happy with the mount, but I suspect lkraus is correct and the camera stabilizer mechanism is really just not robust enough to expect it to withstand handlebar vibrations. 

18 hours ago, lkraus said:

Your best bet is to not attach your iPhone to the bike.  More often than not the iPhone optical image stabilizer mechanism will be destroyed by vibration.  Google it a bit. I see lots of failure reports, nobody saying they have done it long term with any mount.  

I dunno, I've had my current iphone 8plus since January 2018 and I have no issues (iphone 5 before that with no issues).  It's been mounted on the handlebars of the RT, honda shadow, HP4 and now the GSA.  I use a Ram x-grip for each of those.  Might be alot of failures, but might be alot of non-failures as well.  So, since 2012 with the iphone 5 to present and about 130-140000 miles+, I'd say it's good.