IGNORED

Re: Tires...Car

Skywagon

Aren't you glad this isn't a motorcycle tire thread.  I'm pretty conservative on my tires.  I change them before they are worn out.  I have a 2018 Tahoe that is mostly a passenger vehicle but does pull things from time to time.  It came with Continental Cross Contact LX 20 275/55/r20 rated for 70000miles.  They are worn out now at 42000.  I've not replace tires with anything other than Michelin for decades....but these tires have been quite, no issues, and have good traction.  Im probably going to buy them again...even though I hated the continental tires that came on my bike.

I am on another website where they are bashing Discount Tire since they changed hands. Story after story of cross threaded lugs, missing lugs, rims scratched, etc.  I don't know if that is usual internet complaining or they aren't as good as they once were.  Thats where I buy tires and I have always had good luck with the franchise. I would like your thoughts on where you buy your car/truck tires and any recent experience you have with Discount Tire.

Thanks

szurszewski

Costco. 

Used to use Sears back in the day. 

Here in the NW Les Schwab can be good but I don’t think they are an option for you. 

Recently used Discount Tire to mount two sets of tires purchased from Discount Tire Direct. These were mounted on OEM wheels and Neuspeed wheels, I told them I expected the wheels not to be damaged and left them at the store. They were very careful and when I picked them up the wheels were as I left them, that is no more damage. I did take each set home and mounted them on the car. I would just say that I don't care what company is doing the work if I were concerned I would stay and watch them to be sure it is done correctly and as I want it. I have done this in the past when I have used Discount Tire. 

On my 2016 Colorado, I have Yokohama Geolander tires and have been very happy with the smooth and quiet ride. I got them from Tirerack.com and had them installed at the hobby shop on base but they have arrangements with numerous shops that will accept the shipment and mount.

Do you have a local mechanic you like and trust? If so give them a try for tires. Many times my mechanic can match the best price I can find online, and if so I buy from him. Otherwise I buy online from tires-easy.com and have them drop shipped (free) to my mechanic, who charges me $18/tire for mounting/balancing/installing.

I'm not finding any information about DIscount Tire (Tire America out west) changing hands - maybe the bashing referred to Mavis Discount tire? That company had a merger in 2018 and there has been some dispute about the name

I've always had excellent service at Discount Tire/Tire America.  I've used four different locations from Portland, OR to Norfolk, VA. Good pricing, pleasant people, never had a wheel damaged, free balance checks whenever I've asked, free puncture repairs, decent coffee in clean waiting rooms and their magazine selection often includes Roadracing World. They usually meet me at the car as soon as I park, and bring the car to the door when they finish.  It was raining when I parked at the Norfolk store, and the guy met me at my door with an umbrella to keep me dry.

I didn't know Discount Tire was bought out? But it might explain things. I used to know some people in management with them, and customer service was very much what they worked on continuously. 

I too had a poor experience with Continental tires on the RT. BUT...as you already know that does not mean the brand cannot make good tires. I think the Continentals like your Tahoe came with are hard to beat. I literally HATE a tire that gets noisy, and the last set of Michelins I had came off less than half worn because of that! I put Continentals on the F-Type and they were a huge improvement. If you find a tire that is quiet, drives good, handles good in dry and down here especially in hard rain, stay with it. 42,000 miles is plenty good for tire wear. 

Back to Discount Tire. They have to be watched. The last three times I have done business with them they done something wrong. From putting the wrong side of the tire out where you can see it, to the wrong tire, to mounting them backward ( some performance tires are directional ). That really doesn't bother me, I stick my nose in there and get it fixed before I leave. But it would explain an owner change.....

Thanks all...all though those guys on my fishing site are claiming sold, Like lkraus I couldn't find anything about them.  For those who suggested local mechanics...yes thanks I like to do with local and small, but for tires and the amount of travel I do I really want to have a nation wide chain in most cities I can go to if an issue....it's rare I say I want a major franchise, but this is one of the times I do..  Food........never.  Thanks Terry

I've had mostly good luck with Discount Tire (plus I get 10% off thru work), but last time I had to return with new tires for rebalancing. Since a local shop closed quite a few years ago, Discount has been my tire shop of choice.