IGNORED

Oil consumption 2009 R1200RT

eisenwal

I'm interested in whether this bike is a known user of oil. Could other riders of this type of bike let me know their oil consumption?

47 minutes ago, Eisenwal said:

I'm interested in whether this bike is a known user of oil. Could other riders of this type of bike let me know their oil consumption?

Evening  Eisenwal

My personal 2009 1200RT has not used a drop of oil since I bought it. 

But, I have seen 2008/2009 1200RT's that do burn some oil, it kind of boils down to how the engine was originally broken in  (run in), if they are broken in correctly then typically they don't use oil.

I have an 08 with over 130,000 miles.  It is just now beginning to use some oil at high rpm.    Time for new rings.   Easy job.  

I have a 2013 R1200R. I bought it used with 1200 miles on it and it had a powerful thirst for oil. Below is a thread I started about the oil usage. My last oil change at 37,000 miles I put in Mobile 1 15W-50 full synthetic oil in the bike and I ridden almost 3000 miles and I have not added oil to the bike. The oil level is in the center of the sight glass. I am happy with the current oil usage of the bike. I know the bike is a camhead and you are asking about a hexhead but the motors are very similar.

Roger L

The Rocketman

My '09 RT does like oil. Purchased with I think 18,000 miles. Approaching 50,000 now. Goes through maybe 1/3 of a quart every 1,000-1,500 miles. No leaks, no smoke, just disappears. Used to carrying an extra quart with me all the time.

2006 purchased used with just under 17,000 miles. Used about 4 to 5 ounces per thousand miles initially.  At about 21,000 miles, I took a week-long trip that included a day of riding in West Virginia mountains, making regular use of the 5000-7000 rev range.  Zero oil consumption since that time, now at 46,000 miles.

On 8/2/2020 at 5:04 PM, The Rocketman said:

My '09 RT does like oil. Purchased with I think 18,000 miles. Approaching 50,000 now. Goes through maybe 1/3 of a quart every 1,000-1,500 miles. No leaks, no smoke, just disappears. Used to carrying an extra quart with me all the time.

My ‘05 used at least that much oil. Maybe more. It got tiresome:  checking-filling-checking-filling. 

On 7/31/2020 at 4:38 PM, dirtrider said:

Evening  Eisenwal

My personal 2009 1200RT has not used a drop of oil since I bought it. 

But, I have seen 2008/2009 1200RT's that do burn some oil, it kind of boils down to how the engine was originally broken in  (run in), if they are broken in correctly then typically they don't use oil.

Wife and I broke our '07 RT's in the same manner, following all guidance, on the same roads at the same time.  Mine drinks like a fish and hers doesn't usually use a drop.  I generally have to top up with 500 mL, or a bit more halfway into a 6000 mile service interval, and then I'm low again at the 6000 mile mark.

Also, it very definitely depends on riding conditions.  Stop and go traffic in hot weather is a deal breaker.  You can smell the oil burning off.  It also depends on the grade of oil, I think.  I've run anywhere from 5W50 to 20W50.  20W is more resistant to burning off, but in cold starts in cool weather, common in the morning in our climate, you'll have hard starts and likely poor starting lubrication.  As well, I think engine RPM is a significant factor.  I burn more in a day of hooning than in more sedate conditions.

Also, oil consumption threads were very common in the Hexhead forum in the early days of the model series.  It was always said that BMW's standard is, IIRC a qt per 1000 miles is the limit of normal... maybe someone with a better memory than I can back that up or provide a more accurate number.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...