IGNORED

Top box and/or trunk on 1200RT

eisenwal

I'm new to this R1200RT. I bought one recently and it has a huge top box. It is so big I don't keep it on the bike.

How many sizes are there? I would like to get a somewhat smaller one that can hold my modular helmet when I'm stopping for coffee.

Any info in this?

BMW makes a smaller and more aesthetically pleasing 28L one.... meaning it is curved. MSRP is around $400. And it can be keyed to your bike. I believe you have the big square one?? That one is 49L.

Lots of non factory options as well. I'm sure others will chime in with their favorites, but the 28liter is the only smaller option from BMW. 

There is a license plate holder available with 2 locks for helmets. Bmw also makes a soft top box that I used for 10 yrs. I have a lightly used one If you’re interested. 

edit. I also have a bmw tank bag for hexheads lightly used  

I have to say I really like the luggage capacity you get with the big top box, it also holds things like backpacks or two helmets a cooler big enough for lunch for 2 :) 

also give my wife a nice place to lean against.  the funny part for me is the side bags are nice for cloths and such but have a hard time with most things that are square or a rectangle like my camera gear even rain gear and  a cover quickly fill up the side bags. 

My wife does not like the side bags as they crowd her legs to two up I use a tank bag and the top box. 

495312D9-A486-4963-900C-E82C71432ED5.jpg