IGNORED

Anyone use this unswitched power connector?

Miguel!

You can connect an aux power port (aka powerlet port). My RT had a stock port attached to it I believe. Useful for powering an air pump or anything you use short term/intermittently when the bike is off.

9 hours ago, Claudio said:

You can connect an aux power port (aka powerlet port). My RT had a stock port attached to it I believe. Useful for powering an air pump or anything you use short term/intermittently when the bike is off.

I also use it with my battery tender.  Eliminates redundant unswitched connectors, and works well in that application.

It has been so long since I bought it for my R1100RT, but I believe this was a BMW OEM dual socket kit that plugged into that lead. It was bolt on plug & play accessory.  I use one of the sockets with my heated vest as it keeps the wires out of the way from the handle bars. These days I suspect you'll have to keep an eye on Ebay for a used one to come up.

https://s.yimg.com/aah/yhst-15102260216258/r1100rt-dual-auxillary-socket-kit-3.jpg

I personally purchased mine off Amazon.  Just type in "powerlet" in the search box and click search.  I hard wired a powerlet plug to a micro air pump, which I keep in a rolled towel in the tank cavity over the air filter.  I keep a tire plug kit with the tools, so I'm ready for a flat on the road.  Only took one time for me to realize those CO2 cartridges are dangerous and ineffective.

On 7/31/2020 at 11:56 AM, Paul De said:

It has been so long since I bought it for my R1100RT, but I believe this was a BMW OEM dual socket kit that plugged into that lead. It was bolt on plug & play accessory.  I use one of the sockets with my heated vest as it keeps the wires out of the way from the handle bars. These days I suspect you'll have to keep an eye on Ebay for a used one to come up.

https://s.yimg.com/aah/yhst-15102260216258/r1100rt-dual-auxillary-socket-kit-3.jpg

Thats the aux sockets on my bike.  Used for heated gear, no issues for full sleeve vest and gloves.  I use the socket on the top left bank of switches left of the 3 toggle switches for battery monitor. 

Thanks MarinPhil. I've been looking at battery monitors with USB connectors to plug into the dashboard connector above the switches as you have. I use my iPhone as a GPS which runs the battery down so having a USB connector in the cockpit is quite convenient and useful. Then I discovered that most USB adapters included a battery monitors with the USB adaptors. Clever.  Currently I don't use that dashboard connectors so thought it'd be a a useful addition. 

Phil, Do I remember you have the same bike I do (R1100RT) with the same paint (Opal Blue)?

Miguel 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/6/2020 at 10:18 PM, Miguel! said:

Thanks MarinPhil. I've been looking at battery monitors with USB connectors to plug into the dashboard connector above the switches as you have. I use my iPhone as a GPS which runs the battery down so having a USB connector in the cockpit is quite convenient and useful. Then I discovered that most USB adapters included a battery monitors with the USB adaptors. Clever.  Currently I don't use that dashboard connectors so thought it'd be a a useful addition. 

Phil, Do I remember you have the same bike I do (R1100RT) with the same paint (Opal Blue)?

Miguel 

Sorry, havent seen your post and been gone a while. Yes, we do have the same bike and she is doing just fine. This is a pic of the wire i use for up top battery monitor.  SAE on one side to battery monitor ( Cetek or whatever you use) and DIN to bike.  I case you have to make your own wire, SAE wire- red stripe is +, and on DIN plug, the wire that goes to the center is+.  Or you can just buy one on amazon. 

6274B1A7-B03C-4CCB-A647-AF70EB5EF79C.thumb.jpeg.b78cb3c2166aed2b2cb17e991d5f4454.jpeg