IGNORED

Reader survey - KTM 790 vs. BMW 850GS

RandyShields

interesting quick read, but honestly since the evaluators didn't rate both bikes, the scores can't really be a side by side comparison.  It's kind of like I drove a chevy truck and I decided I like it better than ford even though I didn't drive the ford....  Kind of odd on adv's part.

"Ultimately 66% of participants chose to rate the KTM while 34% decided to evaluate the BMW." 

Test rode the 790 and a 750GS back to back courtesy of Eurosport in Asheville.  Think all of the scoring seems reasonable. While the BMW has reliability issues if you read the threads on advrider about both bikes and FB postings would indicate the 790 is a endless nightmare for some. That alone led me to the BMW and absolutely love my 850 adventure, not boxer nirvana mind you but at 71 years old and 145 pounds concessions had to be made. 

RandyShields
5 hours ago, Skywagon said:

interesting quick read, but honestly since the evaluators didn't rate both bikes, the scores can't really be a side by side comparison.  It's kind of like I drove a chevy truck and I decided I like it better than ford even though I didn't drive the ford....  Kind of odd on adv's part.

Agree!  When you read down through the comments, there are a lot of similar observations.  Not sure how you can come to a valid conclusion when folks are only assessing one bite.  I think short of a direct comparo by the same evaluators it is, at best, interesting.

Evening

I guess I see it from a different angle.  The riders were not asked to compare one bike to the other, they were simply asked to rate "THE"  motorcycle they either have, or have ridden, on a 1-5 scale.   (auto manufacturers do this type of rating research all the time).

Once the riders rate "THEIR" motorcycle in all the categories then those ratings were then averaged per category then that average is plotted against the same average of "THEIR" motorcycle for the other make/model compared to.  

The fly in the ointment with this type of rating is: there is a chance the riders of one make/model expect something different (performance wise or  usage wise) than the group rating the other  make/model.