IGNORED

Introducing the New ART Team

Indy Dave

With Kinsley’s passing, naturally there have been questions about the future of the ART gatherings. Kinsley and I had been talking about expanding the team for the last year or so. Kinsley’s routing participation dates all the way back to the first El Paseo and he was also involved in the background of many other events (yet always shunning the limelight).

Kinsley was ready to become less involved in future events and we were going to approach a few riders at START 2020 about joining us. We wanted to have more team members involved so there were more points of contact at events. We also wanted to avoid having events tailored to our own preferences. Part of Kinsley’s legacy is his long term planning, and as we are embarking on expanding the ART team to continue and improve events, this is an extension of that plan.

Bernie and Indy Dave will be assisted and supported by BMW_Ken, Twistyguy (Peter), Marcopolo (Mark), Endobobdds (Bob), DaveCinNO and terryofperry. Collectively - after confessing to various two-wheeled misadventures - we’ve been loosely referring to ourselves as The Bumbling BackRoad Riders, although “Bumbling” applies more to some of us than others. :whistle: 

Much like before, events will continue to maintain a low-key vibe and we will continue to make some subtle additions as we move forward. This team brings a wealth of passion and backgrounds that will be focused on what the ART’s have always been about – the riding and the people. Bernie will be developing routes for future events, and he needs no introduction in that regard. Bernie has been routing and leading rides for decades and so this is right in his wheelhouse. Twistyguy will be focused on non-pavement routes and the rest of us will be Bumbling around as best we can.

Kinsley will be missed by all of us and these events won’t be the same without him. But he’s left his mark on all of us, and it’s in that spirit and vision that we’ll move forward together.

Meet The Bumbling BackRoad Riders:

473507986_BlowingRock2018.jpg.eef7bc7a16d6f2015cedd81840e10a53.jpg

L to R: Indy Dave, Twistyguy, Endobobdds, Bernie, Kinsley and terryofperry.

1508419415_fallsorigionalcrop.thumb.jpg.6b51dca7c10da4e5e206ac93b93b9fc9.jpg

L to R: (Indy Scott) Indy Dave, (Indy Phil), BMW_Ken, Endobobdds, Twistyguy, Marcopolo and DaveCinNO

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Indy Dave featured this topic

Thanks Dave.  This answers a couple of questions for me:  1. moving forward?, and 2. what/who are the "Bumbling Backroads Riders"?   I am looking forward to the gathering at FART and appreciate everyone's efforts for the group!  jb 

• Like 2

Good to hear Dave. Thanks to all for keeping the spirit alive

Boy, there are a lot of board members with Indy in their screen names.  Must be a popular place.  :18:  

• Like 2
7 hours ago, BamaJohn said:

2. what/who are the "Bumbling Backroads Riders"?   jb

John - to understand the origins of The Bumbling BackRoad Riders™, like most things, it's best to start near the beginning. This is the Cliff Notes Version, BTW  :lurk:

With a long way to a tire shop, a "short cut" that looked promising initially . . .  that didn't work out . .

20180601_163308.thumb.jpg.63c96db0d03681703ec77ed7eb86c013.jpg

20180601_164109.thumb.jpg.9d167e3cfb77726de7da31130a1779b0.jpg

20180601_164404.thumb.jpg.36efd4f202ac90ab6bbf34ef48d66ff5.jpg

and Another short cut that didn't go as planned . . .

20180712_163959.thumb.jpg.39fd3f9716aa51b92616dcb1d0aef2a3.jpg

and some randoms . . .

20170712_091900.thumb.jpg.ec789e566e20eecf01e6867ca4730b46.jpg

1228315931_maggievalley.jpg.c82ce4dce837f82a9fa6334a6e1335c7.jpg

461947763_roadendsinwater.jpg.739f95cc83fa0120161cb62b1131a76f.jpg

And trying to escape Indiana for START 2019:

1249889865_flood1.jpg.0ae13e41065b252a17406b47feaf8128.jpg

940718639_flood2.jpg.d1ebd978aff4f1e435f10fc0c5e348e0.jpg

1997086070_flood3.jpg.ca7b25f03f67d0f2e019da585d25066f.jpg

210180170_flood4.jpg.2dab58dd92171de2782d05dec8e2bfa3.jpg

211136817_flood5.jpg.54548ad0becd43e57ade782a7cb9e7d9.jpg

As I said - this is the cliff notes version :ohboy: . . .

Ultimately, I think what happened was, after hearing and viewing some of my more... interesting rides :whistle:  (which also coincided with their taking a few steps back and away from me - implementing what is now commonly referred to as "Social Distancing") someone first coined the moniker "Dead End Dave"  :wave:  and then, perhaps taking pity - one by one, they each confessed their own 'sins'  - a flat tire here, an aching muscle there, leaking rain gear, Pay at the pump issues, a hostile shop owner in a plaza parking lot and boots with buckles :stir:  :rofl: . While they all still kept their distance - there was a (very brief) sense of vulnerability as even Kinsley:bike: shared a tale or two (it's true!) and someone came up with Bumbling BackRoad Riders and - over time - it began to stick. But like I said, it applies more so to some of us (some might even say one) more so than others.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
2 hours ago, marcopolo said:

There goes our leader.

Yes, we will follow our leader, until our GPS units tell us to recalculate. :3:

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
Slumgullion

It seems to me that we have an Indy takeover coup in the works! Is there an Indy cult I don't know about? Why haven't I been approached to join? I rode through Indiana Pa once I think. If I add Indy to my handle I would I be admitted  to the "Indy Club"?  Indy Slumgullion has a nice ring to it, just sayin'. 

• Haha 3
3 hours ago, Slumgullion said:

It seems to me that we have an Indy takeover coup in the works! Is there an Indy cult I don't know about? Why haven't I been approached to join? I rode through Indiana Pa once I think. If I add Indy to my handle I would I be admitted  to the "Indy Club"?  Indy Slumgullion has a nice ring to it, just sayin'. 

Joel you will always be part of the team and I hope you will, no Indiana connection required .

I think all @Indy Dave is  trying to do is expand the group in charge of hosting the event, to even out the workload. This is something that our friend Kinsley and Indy Dave had already planned to do. 

@Slumgullion  Joel, I admit that does have a good ring to it. better be ready to get your checkbook out because there is an initiation fee, and I'm currently signing up new members...

Here's many of the new converts...

20200808_064047.thumb.jpg.992f24b152ee397d4db24b3716579941.jpg

Dave et al (a.k.a. BBRRs),

Thanks for taking over and keeping things moving along!  Looking forward to the Spring, since I can't FART this year. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
RandyShields
26 minutes ago, TyTass said:

Dave et al (a.k.a. BBRRs),

Thanks for taking over and keeping things moving along!  Looking forward to the Spring, since I can't FART this year. 

You know that can be unhealthy. 

• Haha 5

I don't know if I can trust Bernie, rumor has it he once was a Colts fan after they left Baltimore. Just need to be careful with those Indy Cultist, I've heard!

• Haha 3
17 minutes ago, Slumgullion said:

I don't know if I can trust Bernie, rumor has it he once was a Colts fan after they left Baltimore. Just need to be careful with those Indy Cultist, I've heard!

Wrong Bernie, Joel. I don’t like egg-football or Round football. 
Where is Indy anyway? Recalculating!

:14:

• Haha 2
On 8/7/2020 at 2:13 PM, Slumgullion said:

@Slumgullion - Ha, while @indy Phil and Scott were in "that" picture, we are not in the "BIG" picture LOL.  Hope to see you at FART!

On 8/13/2020 at 3:21 PM, Slumgullion said:

On 8/7/2020 at 2:13 PM, Slumgullion said:

@Slumgullion

As far as the Colts go - Yours Truly has NEVER been a fan of the original midnight moving van team. Bob Irsey was a total tool. The Colts played in the "Hoosier Dome" for many years. Many of us found that name somewhat lacking creatively, and we referred to it as The Loser Dome.

When The Colts again threatened to pack up and leave (Indianapolis this time) the city and state subsidized the Irsey Family's business massively with tax breaks, incentives and percentages. And of course a new stadium - never mind the fact that the city still owed $70 Million in principle on the bonds issued for construction of the stadium that was now to be demolished! We'll be finished paying off the old stadium next year, BTW. :16:

Joel - I must say, the boys and I are flattered on the one hand, and perplexed on the other. We here in middle Indiana curse our own lot when it comes to riding, as these here parts are flat and straight. It's an all day commitment if you want to ride some elevation and twisties. None the less, there are standards ya know! We'll be happy to begin considering your application upon remittance of the initiation fee.

In the meantime - while not a quorum - the Clean Living Hoosier Welcoming Committee raised our BMW Dixie cups in your honor yesterday.

CLH phoyo vevay in.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
RandyShields
28 minutes ago, Indy Dave said:

In the meantime - while not a quorum - the Clean Living Hoosier Welcoming Committee raised our BMW Dixie cups in your honor yesterday.

Joel, that looks like a water crossing in the background.

• Haha 1

I am truly touched, what a gracious thing to do even though by such a motley looking crew. There is a catch in my voice and a bit of moisture in my eye to be so honored by those who have to work so hard for a few sorrowful twisty roads while I'm just a short ride up 400  to enjoy so much. Thank you gentlemen!

• Haha 1
8 hours ago, RandyShields said:

Joel, that looks like a water crossing in the background.

...it would take a helluva ramp to jump THAT water, Randy!  

6 hours ago, BamaJohn said:

...it would take a helluva ramp to jump THAT water, Randy!  

Naw... No. He said Water Crossing, not jump. Randy knows me only too well. :ohboy:

• Indy Dave unfeatured this topic