IGNORED

2007 RT Clunks Over Bumps

MikesBikes

2007 R1200RT - I'm hearing a clunk noise when I go over sharp bumps on the road, at most any speed. It sounds like it's coming from the rear brake caliper area but everything is working well. The noise sounds like metal on metal, or metal on hard plastic. When the bike is cold the rear wheel does have a little play top/bottom but no play side to side, is that normal? There is no luggage on the bike. I changed all fluids and lubed splines at beginning of this season and noise still there. I have been troubleshooting since last season and I'm baffled. I'm trying to avoid going to the dealer if I can. Has anyone experienced this on their RT? Do you know what the fix might be? Thanks, Mike.

17 minutes ago, MikesBikes said:

2007 R1200RT - I'm hearing a clunk noise when I go over sharp bumps on the road, at most any speed. It sounds like it's coming from the rear brake caliper area but everything is working well. The noise sounds like metal on metal, or metal on hard plastic. When the bike is cold the rear wheel does have a little play top/bottom but no play side to side, is that normal? There is no luggage on the bike. I changed all fluids and lubed splines at beginning of this season and noise still there. I have been troubleshooting since last season and I'm baffled. I'm trying to avoid going to the dealer if I can. Has anyone experienced this on their RT? Do you know what the fix might be? Thanks, Mike.

Afternoon MikesBikes

You want to see a LITTLE rear wheel movement cold, not a lot but the spec is up to 1mm at the wheel rim cold. The (crown bearing)  usually fails from being too tight not being slightly loose. 

On the clunk, it could be in the shock, or  a loose shock bolt (worth a check).

I have seen the rear lower shock (strut) bolt break on the 1200 bikes then rattle like crazy (until the bolt falls out).

That rear lower bolt threads in through the lower strut  bushing but the bolt head just free floats in the swing arm hole (not a robust design).

Otherwise check the link attaching bolts, check the pivot bearings, check the plastic attachment & mounting, check under the seat for a loose module, or something floating around in there, check for a loose tail/brake light assembly, tap on everything with a soft rubber hammer.

Check the rear brake caliper for being tight as well as checking the brake pads for being loose & rattling. OR, if you find a bump that will reliably incite your clunk then re-ride over it with the rear brake held on slightly (this will tighten up the caliper & brake pads). If clunk noise stops then you know where to start looking.    

After posting this, I'm sure some of you will send the white-coat-guys to collect me for the asylum, but here goes...it might create some laughs.

I hear that same-described "clink" on my '17 RT when hitting a sharp bump in the road.  After months of going anal in an effort to find what was causing it, and failing to do so, one day I had put my earplugs in while still in the house and when clumping down the steps on the back porch, I heard that same metallic click!  WHAT THE HELL!?  Naturally, I assumed that something in my riding jacket was causing it, but NO!  

Two days ago I had a series of MRI's of my head/neck and nothing metallic is clinking around in there, so the only thing I can come up with is that the plastic (teflon) in my knees has worn out over the past 13 years and the metal components are clanking around when I'm walking or riding and the only time I hear it is when I have my earplugs in place.   :3:So my solution is to turn up the volume on my tunes......

• Haha 1

My 17 RT also talks to me over harsh bumps. My back seat has a tad of play in it and I keep meaning to shim/pad it to fix it. I checked everything else I can think of and just figured it was the seat. Come to think of it my 09RT did it too. 

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks guys. After one year of diagnosing I finally figured out the problem, and I still have a hard time believing  it. The noise that I swore was coming from the back of the bike was actually originating from the front. Ready? The ugly clunking noise was coming from the windshield when raised. When the windshield is lowered, there is no noise at all. It is the windshield mechanism causing the noise. What a relief. I hope someone else finds this helpful.

• Like 1