IGNORED

New member, questions re: losing weight on a '96 RT

MingOnMongo

MingOnMongo

Hi, folks... newbie here from AZ, though longtime RT fan, now with an '82 R100RT, and about to purchase a '96 R1100RT.

Two questions, maybe covered before elsewhere. Have owned previous 1100 & 1150RT's and great, durable machines, though the 'weight' has always bugged me. Understood about bypassing and removing the 20-30lb ABS unit, and also maybe saving a few lbs by not always topping off the tank. But any other ideas for losing a few more pounds on these kinda 'top heavy' feeling beasts (especially at low speeds)?

Second, 25+ year old machines in AZ can register as 'exempt' classic vehicles, but dunno whether the '96, which will be 25 y.o. next year, would qualify, as it has to be recognized somewhere as a 'classic' vehicle. But would imagine that this being the first year of an entirely new model and series for BMW might possibly qualify, though dunno what organization, if any might determine such a thing. Any thoughts?

• Like 1
5 hours ago, MingOnMongo said:

Hi, folks... newbie here from AZ, though longtime RT fan, now with an '82 R100RT, and about to purchase a '96 R1100RT.

Two questions, maybe covered before elsewhere. Have owned previous 1100 & 1150RT's and great, durable machines, though the 'weight' has always bugged me. Understood about bypassing and removing the 20-30lb ABS unit, and also maybe saving a few lbs by not always topping off the tank. But any other ideas for losing a few more pounds on these kinda 'top heavy' feeling beasts (especially at low speeds)?

Second, 25+ year old machines in AZ can register as 'exempt' classic vehicles, but dunno whether the '96, which will be 25 y.o. next year, would qualify, as it has to be recognized somewhere as a 'classic' vehicle. But would imagine that this being the first year of an entirely new model and series for BMW might possibly qualify, though dunno what organization, if any might determine such a thing. Any thoughts?

Hmmm .... not sure I've ever heard that question asked but just thinking about it .... you could lose quite a few pounds with an aftermarket exhaust,  If it has a radio that could go and if it has a top box that too could go as could the side cases.   But honestly its a pretty well balanced bike and hard to remove stuff that you might otherwise want.   My first BMW was a '97 R1100RT and never thought it top heavy and for its class its pretty light. 

• Like 1
MingOnMongo

Understood. It's fine underway, but pushing around on the pavement, and gods forbid, picking it up, there's definitely a lot more 'noticeable' weight than my old airhead RT which is about 100 lbs lighter and easily flicks around. But just knocking off 50-60 lbs would be great, and losing either 'sprung' or 'unsprung' weight would both make a difference. Hadn't realized there might be any significant weight saving re: the exhaust. Will have to look into that, thx!

13 hours ago, MingOnMongo said:

Understood. It's fine underway, but pushing around on the pavement, and gods forbid, picking it up, there's definitely a lot more 'noticeable' weight than my old airhead RT which is about 100 lbs lighter and easily flicks around. But just knocking off 50-60 lbs would be great, and losing either 'sprung' or 'unsprung' weight would both make a difference. Hadn't realized there might be any significant weight saving re: the exhaust. Will have to look into that, thx!

From what I've heard you can save something like 20 pounds by swapping the exhaust

• Like 1
fourteenfour

I would lower the seat and pegs instead of yanking bits off especially an ABS setup.  if you are really worried about picking it up then crash bars front and rear to minimize how far over it can get and learn how to pick a bike up. I have seen my father teach little ole ladies who rode on the back of a Goldwing how to get it upright.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

I noticed that tires play a big part in how a bike feels at slow speed.  Same year KZ1000Ps felt very different with new and worn tires as well as with different brands.  My R12RT does the same.  Feels very light with new.  Pressure can be a second order player as well.  Now, any bike standing still with a 30 degree lean is going to be pretty heavy too! :) 

• Like 1
fourteenfour

have to agree on tire pressure, get my current RT anywhere below 34 and it feels completely different, sluggish even.