IGNORED

cruising rpm

bob duke

whats a safe cruising rpm for the boxer on the highway?

usually i am at 5000-5500rpm  at the highway  and maybe hit 6000 once in a while only for overtaking.

I am used to 4cylinder bikes, but if that rpm stress the boxer i will slow down a bit.t.Love my 1100rt and taking care of it.

31 minutes ago, bob duke said:

whats a safe cruising rpm for the boxer on the highway?

usually i am at 5000-5500rpm  at the highway  and maybe hit 6000 once in a while only for overtaking.

I am used to 4cylinder bikes, but if that rpm stress the boxer i will slow down a bit.t.Love my 1100rt and taking care of it.

Afternoon Bob  

The BMW boxer is a rather large piston, short pushrod, conventional bearing,  very durable engine. 

It is neither a high revver or a good low RPM lugger so the sweet spot seems to be in the 3000-6000 RPM area.  

Some running at over 6000 sure won't hurt it (probably better for it than trying to lug along at 1500 RPM in too high of a gear. 

Riders have been abusing the BMW boxer for many years now & seldom if ever do you hear of a Boxer engine failure that isn't due to neglect, mistreatment, long (improper) storage, or bad workmanship during service. 

For sure much below 3,000 RPM and you will note the R1100 boxer will lug.  I will say with a light load and moderate speeds (tooling around) 2,500 is OK, but this motor is happiest at 3,000 RPM and up.  I think max torque is around 5,500 RPM, so the heart of the sweet spot would be in the 3-6 K range DR spoke of.  Throttle body synchronization should be spot on particularly in the 4,000 to 5,000 RPM range for a no/low beemer buz ride at highway speed.  I recently took my  R1100RT for a 5 hour jaunt where I wanted to get to Point B fast, so I super slabbed it to that location at 75-85 MPH and that old boy happily spent hours above 4,000 RPM, no harm, no foul and thankfully no tickets.

• Like 1

Cruising for me is best  a little over 4K rpm, around 80 mph.  That is when the spark advance and valve timing/opening are at optimum and both plugs firing.  And the wind is bordering on intrusive.  And the exhaust note best.  And most cops give you a pass.

• Like 3