IGNORED

Which one is the best choice ?

legarem

Hello

Presently, I have a R1150RT with 132 000 kms (82 500 mi)  I want to change for a 2012 R1200RT which I loved to drive,  Locally, I found two 2012 R1200RT which can be interesting.

#1- One with 95 000 kms (59 375 mi) with top case and comfort saddle, new tires, good maintenance done to the dealer for $ 9600 CDN ( $ 7384 USD) 

#2- One with 53 000 kms (33 125 mi) no top case, low saddle, new tires, maintenance unknown for $ 8995 CDN ($ 6900 USD)

Both gives me $ 3500 CDN ($ 2700 USD) for my 130 000 kms (81 200 mi) bike which is as clean or cleaner than the two R1200RT I want to buy.. What bogs me with the #1 is the milage for the price asked. #1 would be my first choice because it has the top case and the comfort saddle I really love. I hate the low saddle on the #2 but it can be changed.

The two bikes are cosmetically in the same condition. We're often two on the bike so I need a top case or a backrest. The comfort BMW saddle is top rate for me. 

As I really do and know the R1150RT maintenance but I don't know the R1200RT mechanics, is there something special to took on R1200RT bikes ? Which one would be the best choice.?

Should I spend more $$$ and look for the next generation 2013 R1200RT water cooled bike ? (I never tried one)

Thanks

104232291_2712167459054457_8278877278583535506_n.jpg1771432200.jpg.273a87ea9aef78ece7f38e1f3054c7e2.jpg

I have a 2012rt. Comfort seat and both top cases. The low seat one is good if you need a low seat. Is the low seat also a low suspension? I prefer the one with the top case and comfort seat. You have to decide which one will suit your ride and comfort best.

Good luck. 

Hi 6speedTi. I also prefer the one with top case and comfort seat. I measure 6 ft tall. But as mentioned. should I be afraid with it's mileage ?  Changing a 130 000 kms bike for a 95 000 one is perhaps non sense. When I tried it I felt my 2003 RT was outdated and old even it it is still in great condition.

The seat shouldn't be a factor as you can easily change it out (either used or some kind of new aftermarket like a Russel or whatever). I would prefer the one with lower miles and no ESA if that's an option (those ESA shocks are $2,800 just for the REAR! And $1,600 for the front). There are aftermarket variants but still. Day-um!

PS - That comfort seat is based on a design from a medieval torture harness. :eek: 

I tried the bike with the comfort seat for a short time. I have a Russel I bought used for my R1150RT and I loved the comfort seat on the R1200RT better than my  Russel RT1150 seat. 

Could the R1200RT have also a lowered stock suspension ? Was that an option on this bike ? Thanks.

6 hours ago, legarem said:

Hi 6speedTi. I also prefer the one with top case and comfort seat. I measure 6 ft tall. But as mentioned. should I be afraid with it's mileage ?  Changing a 130 000 kms bike for a 95 000 one is perhaps non sense. When I tried it I felt my 2003 RT was outdated and old even it it is still in great condition.

I have 85,000 miles on the odometer. I've owned it since new and did all my servicing. It has been reliable since day one. Had to deal with the switch block issues but that's covered by BMW. I'm 5'12" tall opps meant to say 6' tall and have no issues with my comfort seat. The RT comes in a standard height and low suspension model. There are differences on options and seat choices. Ride heights differ a bit as well. You have a low seat for standard height bike and a low seat for a low suspension bike. The seats are not interchangeable and have different ride heights. Options differ as well. The lower mileage bike has a low seat but you need to see if it's a low suspension as well. You might be too tall for the low seat. There is a data base online that you can run the VIN's to see all the options the bike was delivered with. The one important thing is to get as much history on both bikes to see how many owners they both had and servicing records if available. Good luck. 

Thanks a lot 6speedTI. I didn't ride the one with lower seat but feel a lot cramped on it with the low seat. As the seats are not interchangeable, this ends the possibility for the #2. I also plan to try a Ducati Multistrada touring. The roads here are in bad condition so extra suspension is welcome. 

The one with the low seat looks like the factory low suspension version. Can be changed but not cheaply......

I wouldn't be afraid of the miles on the other one if you know all the maintenance has been done.

19 hours ago, legarem said:

Could the R1200RT have also a lowered stock suspension ? Was that an option on this bike ? Thanks.

I don't know about the two the OP listed but to answer your question more generally, yes. Mine is a 2013 and has the factory-lowered suspension and no ESA as a result (which is a plus for me).

14 hours ago, legarem said:

As the seats are not interchangeable, this ends the possibility for the #2.

STOP! Don't rule out #2 for this as it's wrong. I've had both of those seats and now a Russell all on the same bike. The Extra Low and Comfort are fully interchangeable with no tools or mods needed; Remove one, install the other, done. All you need to go from the bench seat to a two piece aftermarket are these mounts and the four 10mm bolts and nuts that attach them.

Capture.JPG

I bought the one with 95 000 kms. The maintenance was regularly done by the BMW dealer. At the service dept , they told me I should not be afraid by the mileage because its just broken in.:D

1 hour ago, legarem said:

I bought the one with 95 000 kms. The maintenance was regularly done by the BMW dealer. At the service dept , they told me I should not be afraid by the mileage because its just broken in.:D

CONGRATULATIONS. 

I believe you made the right choice since your tall and the other bike appeared to be the low suspension model. Enjoy. Safe riding.

Wow !

It is over my expectations. Smooth, fast, agile. Suspension on bad roads and cruise control are also great. It is really a BIG step over my 2003 R1150RT I loved a lot. Why did I wait so long ?

Is there a place I could download the service manual ? Thanks

BMW Manual Site

You need to know the the VIN prefix from your bike (though I'm pretty sure it's 0440) to download the correct manual.

Congrats. I love my Camhead and I'm sure you'll love this one.