IGNORED

Anybody use a bicycle torque wrench on motorcycle? Recommendations?

paRTy

Looking to get a small torque wrench for smaller settings (6-8nm).

Has anyone used a bicycle torque wrench. Most I see are for smaller settings. I know there can be "feel" for small settings, but want to try and be as accurate as possible.

I have a CDI wrench for bigger settings, and it comes close to providing small NM but probably not reliable at those lower settings. Plus, don't want to shell out another $115.

Any recommendations?

Thx, 

szurszewski

I had to google bicycle torque wrench - I didn't know they could tell what tool was being used ;)

I found links to "regular' 1/4" drive wrenches and t-handle wrenches. Is one of those what you're asking about? 

I've never tried a wrench that said it was bicycle specific, but I do have a 1/4" drive "clicker" torque wrench in my tool box that gets used for things in the inch-pounds category (converted to metric that would equate to single digit nm torques basically). 

A good feel and a SHORT wrench gripped close to the fastener is a good idea for low torque applications. A torque wrench where the desired torque is in the middle of the wrench's listed range is also good - but used with caution of course. A wrench were the desired torque is at the low end of the range is a good way to accidentally over tighten and break stuff. 

I have used the calibrated arm also in the past, but want to get a specific 6nm on one bolt and a specific 8nm on another.

I could probably get close, but......

1 hour ago, Rougarou said:

I use a calibrated right arm

Is that something like “Armstrong Steering” The first truck I drove had it, AKA no power-steering! :grin: 

szurszewski
4 hours ago, paRTy said:

thx.....what make clicker do you use?

I have a harbor freight clicker and an old craftsman beam in 1/4”. I also have craftsman beams in 3/8 and 1/2”, and a couple of harbor freight 1/2” clickers. I have not had any trouble with any of the harbor freight wrenches. I make sure to keep them stored without tension (“unset”) and occasionally check them against the beam wrenches and they seem good.  I also don’t use them every day, so they are a good value for me. 

The 1/4” HF is usually $20 but often on sale (including right now) for $10. 

http://www.hfqpdb.com/best_coupon/PITTSBURGH+CLICK-TYPE+TORQUE+WRENCHES

The 1/4" drive version is for 20-200 in-lbs (2.25 - 22.5 Nm)

I have these in 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" drive.  I've tested the accuracy of these and four others and and found one to be within 2% of the set torque, the others were within 1%. I check my three annually, and they have maintained their accuracy.  Snap-On only promises 4% accuracy. 

In the 1/4" drive size, you are dealing with small amounts of force, so the "click" will be relatively quiet. Rather than listen for the click, watch the pivot point and stop when you see it break.

EDIT: great minds... :)

• Haha 1

Thanks,  Appreciate all the info very much.

Will give Harbor Freight a try based on recommendations. Have been thinking of giving them a try for a while now.

Thx for link and coupons too!

I have had this digital product for several years and I find it very useful, I have checked it on our calibration equipment and it is within 1-2% through most of the range:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B004VYUKTC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I see there is another similar tool that looks like it improves on it with added adapters and a bigger range:

https://smile.amazon.com/KAIFNT-Digital-Adapter-Notification-Direction/dp/B0852JFT23/ref=psdc_559968_t2_B004VYUKTC

I use torque wrenches at my job and I find that the biggest variable is the user!

If your looking to use a torque wrench with such small torque values and it's important for you to make sure that you do not apply too much torque to a small bolt or screw then you need to buy a reliable torque wrench that comes with calibration documents. Harbor freight has good stuff but not measuring tools like torque wrenches because they do not have calibration documents. You don't know what final torque your applying on a bolt especially with such small amount of torque settings. If your looking at torque values of 100 ftlbs or more then the error rates are not as critical. Remember that you are looking for a measuring instrument so you expect it to properly measure the application it was intended for. I have various torque wrenches for various torque values and they are all calibrated from the factory with documentation except my 1/2" drive SnapOn that is almost 40 years old and needs to be calibrated. 

Here is what I have for very low torque settings that are critical because of the size of the bolt or screw as well as the fastener material. It's not cheap but you get what you pay for. At the end it is always your choice. Good luck.

https://www.protorquetools.com/1-4-dr-4-40-in-lbs-45-4-5-nm-cdi-preset-torque-screwdriver-401sp/

Having the calibration document does not change the accuracy of the reading, it only says that at some point in time, a particular value was measured.  Failure to document a reading does not mean that the reading was inaccurate.

Torque=Force x Distance.  A ruler measures distance, a digital scale measures weight that provides the force, a vise holds the wrench.  Mark the wrench handle twelve inches from the center of the drive. Make up a container to hang the weight from a string with a loop on the end of the string - a handled plastic jug with a hole cut in the side works well.  Set the wrench at a convenient number in the middle of its range, clamp the drive in the vise, hang the string loop at the mark. Add weight to the jug until the wrench clicks, weigh the jug, weights and string. Calculate the torque (eg. 64 ounces times twelve inches = 48 in-lbs.)  Repeat a few times to check for consistency and establish an average value. If it matches the setting, you are done. I use whatever weights are handy, but use small items like nails or screws as I approach the target value to improve the precision.   

YouTube will explain any part you can't figure out yourself, even how to adjust most click-type wrenches if yours does not measure up. 

It's not complicated.