IGNORED

Centech Fuse box for R1200RT

Tina

I've recently found that the powerlet plug on my new RT doesn't support my Gerbing vest or my Cycoactive tire pump. So I've purchased the Centech fuse box. Has anyone installed this that could give me some advice as to where would be a good place to mount it? Thanks.

Tina

confused.gif

Limecreek

What do you mean by support? Are you blowing a fuse? You need to match your current draw with your wiring and fuse. Is this an 1150? 1200?

I mounted my Touratech box under the passenger seat, on the surface of the fender, or what ever its called. Used some of that sticky on both sides foam tape to secure it. The Touratech box came with a relay built in. You might consider a relay so the power to the Centech shuts off when the bike is shut off. In regards to the previous reply to your post, there are no fuses on the R1200RT. The computer shuts off the outlet if the current draw is too high.

What jsiets said. I too used the Tourtech and mounted with double sided mounting tape on the forward section of the fender just in back of the cross bar. In fact, I put the double sided tape on both the fender and cross bar surface. Works great. Get your "switched power" trigger from the parking light, not the accessory plug would be my recommendation.

ShovelStrokeEd

Tina,

The simple solution is to purchase the Gerbings direct connect wiring harness and connect right to your battery. A few $ more for a glove harness as well. Wire the direct connect harness according to the Gerbings instructions and sacrifice the glove harness to obtain a matching connector for your compressor. You could even Y-splice the Gerbings lead and retain both plugs. The Gerbins direct connect harness comes with a 15 amp fuse so your all set.

The Centech is a better idea if you are going to wire other stuff as it serves as a power distribution buss. Fusing is kinda moot and triggering with a relay a matter of personal choice. Since I prefer to keep my GPS powered up when the bike is switched off, I wouldn't want the relay option. The total draw of all my stuff is only a few hundred milliamps, (XM SkiFi, V1, Garmin) so I don't worry about a one hour fuel/lunch stop killing the battery and the whole thing goes into my tail trunk or the hotel room for overnight stops anyway.

Tina, under the passenger seat in the rear flat hollowed out section you will find a small hole just behind a steel crossmember. One of the Centech screws fits in that hole perfectly. It won't protrude through the fender and poke a hole in your rear tire so don't worry about that issue. Then place the opposite corner on a raised plastic mounting point and mark it. Remove the fusebox and using a awl dig out the plastic till you can screw another of the centech screws into the plastic. Make sure the power lugs of the centech fuse box face forward towards the battery. You will need stubby phillips screwdriver to reach the rear hole in the raised plastic you've drilled through.

I've recently found that the powerlet plug on my new RT doesn't support my Gerbing vest or my Cycoactive tire pump.

I wired the outlet directly to the battery, bypassing the CANBus.. I'm using the original feed to run the intercom..

Many thanks for all your input. What a great forum. I can now attack this with a whole lot more knowledge then before.

clap.gif

Another good solution depending on your needs is to have Jim Davis at Easternbeaver.com custom build you a wiring harness. I had him put one together for the ST and he does superb work, custom length, connectors, etc...whatever you need.

Captain_Pat

Another vote for the Blue Seas fuse box under the seat--in my case I have it powered via a relay so it shuts down when with the bike.

Archived