IGNORED

Street only tires for 2007 GS? Whose?

EffBee

I'm picking up a 2007 GS from a friend.  I don't ride off-road any more.  Just sport touring.  It'll be a stable mate to my RT.  GS for rides under 250mi or so, and the RT for the longer distances.  

Anyway, the GS is going to need tires and I'd like to get some street only tires and see if I can get 8000+ miles like I do on the heavier RT.  I recall, back when I had a V-strom as a second bike, that many manufacturers offered street tires in the 110/80-19 and 150/70-17 sizes that the GS requires.  Can't seem to find any today.

Can anyone steer me in the right direction? 

This may not be the answer you’re looking for (I seem to do that a lot :dontknow: :grin:) but, being where you are now located I just thought I’d remind you of the heavenly backyard you have. :classic_love: 
These two passes are very mild and so peaceful to ride. You may just fall in love with dirt riding again! :thumbsup:

So far I’m loving these tires!

extra_large_2270db7e59a100ed736c0cb48391

Marshall-Pass-Colorado-2.jpg

Fernando, I would also recommend the Anakee 3's. They are my favorite street only tire for the GS and burned through many a set on my 07 GS.  You will be amazed how much easier the GS is to ride twisties than the RT. 

I now run more 80/20 tires and so far am very impressed with the Dunlop Trailmax Mission after running thru 5 sets of the TKC 70's on my GSW. 

• Like 1

Thanks all.  I don't ride off-road any longer.  I had to give that up because of a back issue related to getting rear-ended in my car in 2013.  But after a surgical improvement, I'm still very leery of off-roading and putting my spine through that kind of punishment.  Additionally, I now have a passenger, and off-roading two up is not in the cards.

I'm interested in street only tires for those reasons.

Take a look at the Michelin Anakee III. I used them on a 955i Tiger that never went off asphalt ('cause it doesn't work there), and they were excellent. Grip, wear, and wet grip were all great. They were quiet as well......

I'm surprised to see recommendations for the Anakee III. I was not impressed with the set I had. My sentiments echo this quote from a tire thread at advrider.com: "Similar experience to others re the "snake" repair strips, Anakee 3 slipped like an eel, the scorpions held solid". The only thing I found impressive about the Anakee III was mileage. They did last a long time.

On 7/23/2020 at 11:18 AM, AZgman said:

I have the Dunlop Roadsmart IIIs on my R1200GS. Fabulous! There is a $60 rebate from Dunlop right now as well.

I've been on the Dunlop website.  How/where do I secure this rebate?

If you want a really good tire at a good price, check out a set of Bridgestone T31s. They usually sell a discount. You can get a set for the GS for about $275.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Dave_in_TX said:

If you want a really good tire at a good price, check out a set of Bridgestone T31s. They usually sell a discount. You can get a set for the GS for about $275.

At the moment, they're a leading candidate.  Online mag reviews are excellent grip and feedback with pretty decent mileage.  About $245 a set.  However, If I can find the Sportmax 3 at around $340 a set, and can find how to get the $60 Dunlop rebate AZgman mentioned above, then that might be an even better deal.  A few more bucks, but very long wear and great grip.

I'll have to see.  So far, doesn't seem as if I can use apply for the Dunlop rebate if I buy mail order, so it may well be the T31's.

6 hours ago, EffBee said:

At the moment, they're a leading candidate.  Online mag reviews are excellent grip and feedback with pretty decent mileage.  About $245 a set.  However, If I can find the Sportmax 3 at around $340 a set, and can find how to get the $60 Dunlop rebate AZgman mentioned above, then that might be an even better deal.  A few more bucks, but very long wear and great grip.

I'll have to see.  So far, doesn't seem as if I can use apply for the Dunlop rebate if I buy mail order, so it may well be the T31's.

Are you sure you meant Sportmax and not Roadsmart? From the Dunlap website:

"More grip PLUS more tire life equals the Sportmax Q3+. This is the ultimate in hyper-sport tire performance for serious sport riders and track-day riders, and offers extended tire life so you can spend more time on your favorite tracks and roads."

17 hours ago, Dave_in_TX said:

I'm surprised to see recommendations for the Anakee III. I was not impressed with the set I had. My sentiments echo this quote from a tire thread at advrider.com: "Similar experience to others re the "snake" repair strips, Anakee 3 slipped like an eel, the scorpions held solid". The only thing I found impressive about the Anakee III was mileage. They did last a long time.

find the YouTube video of Adam Chandler hitting a tar snake on his Anakee III

1 hour ago, Carlisja said:

find the YouTube video of Adam Chandler hitting a tar snake on his Anakee III

If I found the correct video, the tar snake that took him down looked to be a small one. However, I think the tires he was using are Anakee Wilds, not Anakee IIIs.

• Thanks 1
14 hours ago, Dave_in_TX said:

EffBee, These are my go to tires on the K1600GT.  You cant beat the price although that is not my only criteria for selecting a tire.  The grip both wet and dry is comparable to any other sport touring tire I've mounted on the GT and with 45000 miles on the clock, its gone through a bunch of tires.  I'm hard on tires and so is the GT but I manage about 4500 to 5000 on the rear and typically change the front at that point as well.  Realshelby uses the T31 on his RT and is satisfied as well. 

I did mount a set of Roadsmart IIIs for my trip to the UN last year.  Also a great tire but I find the grip equal to the T31s and with the difference in price, I replaced them with a set of T-31s.  The Roadsmart IIIs were smoked at 4200 but I chased ChrisK and Foot back from the UN so I was ok with the wear. 

My GS came with the Anakee IIIs, great grip and lasted 6500 miles.  A record for me with BMWs.  They still had tread but the noise from the front tire got to the point where it really annoyed me.  I would not buy another set.  I replaced the Anakees with Pirelli Scorpion Trail IIs which were fantastic.  Loads of grip even at extreme lean angles.  They are a 90/10 tire and not necessarily what you are looking for but still a great tire.        

• Like 1
7 hours ago, MikeB60 said:

I replaced the Anakees with Pirelli Scorpion Trail IIs which were fantastic.  Loads of grip even at extreme lean angles.  They are a 90/10 tire and not necessarily what you are looking for but still a great tire.        

Yes, technically the Trail IIs are a 90/10 tire but they're basically a sport touring tire for adventure bikes. They were the tire of choice for my 2014 GS which spent 99+% of the time on the pavement. That's what I'm going to put on my 2020 GS when the OEM Bridestone A41s wear out.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm running Michelin Pilot 5 GTs on mine, I like Michelin road tires. Wore out the Anakee Adventures it came with, they were OK. Previous GSA was mostly Michelin PR4 GT although a couple of times I put on TKC-70s and Anakee 3s, not for anything actually "offroad" but long stretches of under-construction roads in Alaska and western Canada. I did use Heidenau K60's (50/50) for the trans-Labrador but it's mostly paved or graded gravel now, 80/20's would have been fine. They were surprisingly good (at least to me) and still had life when I took them off at 14,000 miles because I couldn't stand the ride.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the Metzeler Tourance tires on my GSA currently.  I guess they're an 80/20 tire.  It's what was on it when I bought it and they're almost new.  When I do need new tires, I'm going to look at the Michelin Road 5 Trail Tires.  Michelin says they are available for adventure bikes ridden exclusively on the road.

Hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...

Went ahead and got the T31's.  So far, so good.  Excellent grip.  Nice feedback.  Pretty quiet.  $245 through Chaparral including a coupon I had.  Mounted and balanced for $25 each.  New shoes for under $300.  Now to get the Ohlins rebuilt and I'm done refurbishing the old girl.

• Like 1

I put T31s on Das Brick about 120 miles ago, love them so far. From Chapmoto but no coupon :(. Local shop charged $40 to mount them a few months back (pre-COVID), rates MUCH higher now, so mounted the new Trailmax Missions on the GS rims myself. So far it's a good tire for the bike, but mind the grass, it gets slippery quick!