IGNORED

July 20, 1969

On the evening of July 20, 1969, I stood outside staring at the heavens as the three bravest men in the world did what was thought to be impossible.  With less computer power than in our smart phones, two of them landed on the moon while the third orbited that celestial body and waited for his teammates’ return.

Even if the technology existed in those days, it’s doubtful that these three people would have boasted about their accomplishment in 140-character soliloquies.  Such is the measure of true heroes.

Thank you, Neil, rest in peace; thank you Buzz Aldrin and Michael Collins and the NASA crew for showing the world that America really is the greatest place on earth.  Even if you had to go to the moon to prove it. 

men on the moon.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
2 hours ago, dba said:

On the evening of July 20, 1969, I stood outside staring at the heavens

I remember exactly the same , looking up at the moon while looking at the TV being absolutely blown away that it was happening in "real time"

If you haven't seen it already, the Apollo 11 documentary from 2019 is a 'must' for serious space buffs. 

I don't remember much of it per-say, I was born July 19, 1969.......I was 1 day old, LOL.  Mr. Kennedy parked in the Chappaquiddick on the 19th.....busy news week.

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, dba said:

I'll have to find that.  

Yes, I thought so too ... one source said its on Netflix ... but its not.

Did find it on Amazon Prime Video for rent ($3.99) or purchase ($14.99) ....

1 hour ago, chrisolson said:

Yes, I thought so too ... one source said its on Netflix ... but its not.

Did find it on Amazon Prime Video for rent ($3.99) or purchase ($14.99) ....

Should be free in a couple of weeks.

Remember sitting in my Uncle’s living room watching it at age 20. Unfortunately, other historical events that stick in our minds as to the setting we heard the news aren’t as inspiring. But on that magical day in 1969 we were largely unified in our pride for our country and the brave souls who reached for the heavens. Wish that could happen again but not sure it’s even possible. 

Yep, watched  it at my parents’,  was just 20,approaching 21, and wondering what it would  be Iike up there all the while wondering about my student deferment and the forthcoming draft lottery.  At the time I was a physics major and I was super excited about Apollo, lottery number turned out to be A less than exciting 11. 

Hello,

Watched it with family members at my Uncle's home (he had the largest screen TV). My Uncle was in his 70's and not convinced it was real because as he said the Moon was "up there" and to stand on it they would have to be standing upside down and not as the TV screen showed. True story.

regards,

• Like 1
Danny caddyshack Noonan

I remember going in and out of the house to watch and look at the moon.  Had no idea I'd be, eventually in career #2, being an integral part of the engineering of launch vehicles.  No F'in way would I ever ride in one.  Those guys had big brass ones.