IGNORED

My 2017 RTW

BamaJohn

I bought my '17 RT in Oct 2019 with 1100 miles on it.  Now at 24,000+ miles, it has been without fault....Valves/cams checked twice now and they are looking great (did a minor cam position adjustment on last check); I ride in "Dyno/Normal" mode unless raining and performance is stellar; all my customizing farkles to make it fit my old carcass are perfect now; and I do believe it's the best motorcycle I've ever had in over 50 years and MANY different bikes.     Guess this is a boring review with no drama.....  so the only drama I can recall is how the front wheel got bent without me knowing it...just happened to notice it last fall while on a north Georgia ride when stopped for lunch.  A new wheel and tire put things right again.

• Like 7

Same here with my RT's front wheel but I kinda knew it.

I hit a cavernous hole on I-84 during it's maiden voyage South. (Freshly powder coated wheels BTW) I briefly closed my eyes and said "please God save the powder coat" :rofl: (It's possible I waisted that one. :dontknow: :grin:) Anyway, we continued on with no issues to the next gas stop where upon inspection, I found that the rim was bent. :( 

It still held air perfectly and hadn't the slightest handling fault so the ride continued on without a hitch. :thumbsup: Darn BMW for not making a self healing rim. :/

I hope I don’t jinx myself here but I have owned three RTs since 2004, an 800ST and 76 R90/6. I have never had one iota of a problem and have never been stranded in a over 150k+miles. My 17 RT is a joy and you’ll have to pry it from my cold dead hands to take it from me. Now if I can only continue the trend with my newly ordered F900XR complete with Chinese motor. Now that I’m retired and don’t have to get back from a tour due to work constraints my luck might change. That’s ok, I have a credit card, MOA roadside and some warranty left still. Ive owned many brand scoots over my 64 years but BMW is my go to brand hands down. I am the same with Toyota trucks since 77. 

• Like 1

I bent a front rim on my '99 three spoke wheel on a + 4" edge from road resurfacing and had hoped the more numerous spokes on the Waterhead wheels would be more robust.   I guess not.

5 hours ago, BamaJohn said:

I bought my '17 RT in Oct 2019 with 1100 miles on it.  Now at 24,000+ miles, it has been without fault....Valves/cams checked twice now and they are looking great (did a minor cam position adjustment on last check); I ride in "Dyno/Normal" mode unless raining and performance is stellar; all my customizing farkles to make it fit my old carcass are perfect now; and I do believe it's the best motorcycle I've ever had in over 50 years and MANY different bikes.     Guess this is a boring review with no drama.....  so the only drama I can recall is how the front wheel got bent without me knowing it...just happened to notice it last fall while on a north Georgia ride when stopped for lunch.  A new wheel and tire put things right again.

should read "Dyna", not Dyno....:3:

2 hours ago, TEWKS said:

It still held air perfectly and hadn't the slightest handling fault so the ride continued on without a hitch.

So did mine...I was pretty amazed at that, and had been riding pretty hard (for an old fart).  We (Dave and I) had changed out the front tire twice, and didn't notice it.  You'd think that a jolt severe enough to bend a wheel would be noticed by even the most ham-fisted rider, wouldn't you?!   Musta slept thru that one.....

• Like 2

My experience with my ‘15 RT has been trouble-free as well.  I just hit a milestone last week with it...100,000K miles!  The only repairs that have been necessary are an outboard final drive seal, $35.00 and 30 minutes of my time, a fork seal, $40.00 and about 2 hrs time, and the rubber seal between the fuel filler and the tank, $8.00 and 10 minutes since I replaced it when all the tupperware was off for an air filter replacement anyway.  Best and most capable bike I have ever had!

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...

I have a 2014 RT1200-LC and it will be my last bike as it does and has everything I need. I might add some more farkles but that's as far as it goes. I won't say the mileage as it is embarrassing but it's been faultless so far.

• Like 1
On 7/19/2020 at 2:50 AM, BamaJohn said:

I bought my '17 RT .....  so the only drama I can recall is how the front wheel got bent 

I bought the same bike with 6k miles on it, and a dented front rim that I didn't notice until I was ready to change the tire.  Fortunately for me, I am within driving distance of Woody's Wheel Works

They fixed me up, and the rim looks like new.  What did you do with your old, dented, rim?

1 hour ago, Cap said:

I bought the same bike with 6k miles on it, and a dented front rim that I didn't notice until I was ready to change the tire.  Fortunately for me, I am within driving distance of Woody's Wheel Works

They fixed me up, and the rim looks like new.  What did you do with your old, dented, rim?

I put it in my shop and still have it, dent and all.  

2 hours ago, BamaJohn said:

I put it in my shop and still have it, dent and all.  

fyi, it is worth its weight in gold.  Well, not quite maybe.  But you probably discovered that a new rim is $1700 plus $400 for rotors plus $200 for TPMS plus bearings plus ABS ring plus bearing spacer.  If you send it to Woody’s they can fix it for ~$150.  Then either keep it as a spare or sell it on eBay for a good price.

Used rear rims are pretty easy to find, but fronts are rare.

cap

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1