IGNORED

Fine tune clutch adjustment

Got_Poi?

Just to make sure I understand this right. Now with 12mm on the knurled nut at clutch lever set. I am to adjust the clutch for 7mm of freeplay at the hand clutch level using the 10mm bolt on back of transmission (after unlocking the 13mm bolt).

My question is the definition of freeplay. This freeplay - would it be defined as hand lever 7mm depressed and the clutch disengages (or starts to). The clutch lever still has fair amount of tension throughout it's travel when depressed from start and the 7mm is minutely definable through tension differences.

Or is there a freeplay before this happens that I should be looking for. Where the lever would have an actual "slackness" before the above defined 7mm. So for example a clean shift would require depressing the clutch hand lever a ways beyond the 7mm for it to disengage clutch.

My airhead was the latter and easilly adjusted (airhead specs) . My oilhead I still question whether I have it right.

Erich,

Once you have the 12mm set at the lever adjusting collar, you set the clutch arm at the other end for 7mm of freeplay. I set mine a little wider (about 8mm) just so I can always feel a little freeplay at the lever at higher RPM's. The clutch pack seems to 'grow' a little at high RPM's if you pay attention closely. The older spec was 5mm and they found it was not enough freeplay.

The lever freeplay is just that, freeplay. There should be no resistance at all for the first 7-8mm. You are not yet compressing the clutch release mechanism at all.

Mick

Ahhh...that put the "sport" back in touring. Now my bike feels alive again in all 5 gears.

Thanks

Mick's right about the freeplay and, technically, about the 12mm. Myself, I don't like wasting 12mm of easy clutch adjustment. I leave about 4-5mm of threads between the lock nut and the knurled.

Buffalo Springfield (FWIW)

Bob

bmweerman
Ahhh...that put the "sport" back in touring. Now my bike feels alive again in all 5 gears.

Thanks

clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Glad you perserverd on that!!!!

Feels excellent huh!

Take care thumbsup.gif

Cameron

Archived