IGNORED

04 K12GT vibration

GTman

Just wondering if this is normal? My 2004 K12GT has this increased vibration in the range of 4200 to around 4800 RPM. I feels like engine vibration. It's just in that RPM range regardless of what gear it's in. It has been this way since new. I figured it was just some resonant frequency.

My curiosity is up now because the rear transmission seal started leaking around 17,000 miles. It was replaced at 24,000 but is still leaking at 27,000 miles. The SM at the dealer has suggested that BMW will only guarantee that the seals will hold back BMW oil so I'm going to put some of that in and take it in before my warranty is gone. The engine and rear drive seals aren't having any problem holding in the Amsoil.

Aluminum_Butt

I have a definite vibration around the same revs.

Me, too.

Still beats riding a boxer. grin.gif

matanuska

Me, too.

Depends on how much vibration. The K1200 has a natural harmonic with the frame somewhere around the 4500rpm range.

I think we are spoiled by our K's. Even the worst vibration on a K is less than the smoothest ride on many other MCs - the mirrors on my K12RS are almost steadier than on my car. On my old R850, the mirrors vibrated at all RPM's, sometimes more than others. Harley guys might just as well not have mirrors at all - they're unuseable due to the shaking!

Doesn't have anything to due with the seal though.

...The SM at the dealer has suggested that BMW will only guarantee that the seals will hold back BMW oil ...

That's just plain silly. What, German oil is different from what come's out of the ground somewhere else?

Like you said - put some BMW oil in it and make them replace the seal again when it leaks!

ShovelStrokeEd

Quote:

...The SM at the dealer has suggested that BMW will only guarantee that the seals will hold back BMW oil ...

That's just plain silly. What, German oil is different from what come's out of the ground somewhere else?

Like you said - put some BMW oil in it and make them replace the seal again when it leaks!

Funny that, BMW recommends Castrol oil in Europe don't they? I'm sure that is so for Britain. Anybody who told me that would be asking for a good kick in the nuts by way of furthering the conversation.

The local dealer has been real good about doing the work that needs to be done. The comment about the BMW oil was made before the first seal replacement and he was willing to refill it with Amsoil for me. I went by the dealership yesterday. He said if it's leaking again this soon (less than 3000 miles) after the seal replacement then either they messed up with the seal replacement or I may have a problem with the transmission output shaft. I now have a dye in the transmission oil. When it shows up in my drive shaft boot then I take it back for, most likely a new output shaft and seal. thumbsup.gif

Thanks for letting me know the vibration is characteristic of this bike. clap.gif

Me, too.

I'm posting over at ADVRIDER today about vibration / health related issues with me and my R12GS.

My GT isn't perfect but it is waaaayyyyy smoother than my 12GS at 50 mph and up

Well you can have my 2 ct. also. The oil thing is dumb. He was probably really trying to say he can't guarentee seals with the use of syn oil.

The vib is normal if it is slight, the kind that screws with your rear view mirror site. Any more and check for problems. Bettteryet, go test drive one at a dealer.

Archived