IGNORED

Alaska in Mid-September???

DreamTheRide

DreamTheRide

My son just got a short-term gig working on a political campaign in Anchorage.The soonest I can use that as an excuse to go out there, rent a ride-share GS,and explore,is mid-September. Is this a prudent idea weather/road-wise?

Sure Ken will provide better perspective but based on my experience just pack good rain gear. On the plus side though Alaska is a fantastic place to ride and explore.

szurszewski

When we lived there - though never in the area you’d be riding (both a bunch west and a bunch south of there) - I thought September was one of the better months for outdoor stuff. Tourists will largely be gone, the weather isn’t cold yet, and rain is about the worst you’ll find (unless it stars snowing...). 

The great thing about flying up and riding out of anchorage is that if the forecasts are bad, you just do something else...and then you get to fly home :)

• Thanks 1
DreamTheRide

thanks Ken--- any loops out of anchorage and returning there which you might recommend for a 3-4 day trip, obviously avoiding the more mountainous passes which might be a problem, would be appreciated--I will likely bug you more after my new Butler Map arrives(yes--paper map, thats my jam)

• Like 1
5 hours ago, DreamTheRide said:

thanks Ken--- any loops out of anchorage and returning there which you might recommend for a 3-4 day trip, obviously avoiding the more mountainous passes which might be a problem, would be appreciated--I will likely bug you more after my new Butler Map arrives(yes--paper map, thats my jam)

The best advice I got in Alaska was "follow the weather."

Anchorage to Homer, Anchorage to Denali National Park, and Anchorage to Seward via Whittier would all be fine for a 3-4 day trip. IF it's sunny (which it rarely is), a flightseeing trip out of Talkeetna around Mt. Denali is a never-to-be-forgotten experience. https://photos.app.goo.gl/VHnnbMcbjU2ccCkB8

When we got off the plane, both of us collapsed on the grass, and I said, "That flight was as good as great sex." My wife replied, "Yeah, but it lasted longer."

• Haha 1

In mid-September, it's probably doable -- and beautiful.  You'll want warm and rainproof gear that time of year, since August - September is generally the rainy season.  Here's what the weather was like last September: https://www.wunderground.com/calendar/us/ak/anchorage/PANC/date/2019-9

You won't believe the ride south from Anchorage on the scenic byway along Turnagain Arm.  It's amazing to be riding with mountains and glaciers to the east and ocean to the west.  The highway stays about sea level down past Portage, then leaves the ocean and starts up toward Turnagain Pass after that.  No real loop down that way, but there is to the north from Anchorage.

To get to Whittier, you go through a tunnel a couple miles long.  It's actually a one-way road with train tracks.  Check the schedule to see when it's open to cars and which direction.  It changes direction every half-hour I think.  As long as you're careful riding away from the train tracks, you should be OK.  So Whittier and Hope are good choices.  You may also be able to go to Seward.  You do gain a little altitude before descending back down to sea level toward Seward and Resurrection Bay.  It's a beautiful place too.

Let me know if you need assistance, or lodging.  I live in Anchorage, and have a house I've been building about 90 minutes north near the community of Big Lake.  I also have a cabin in the wilderness across Cook Inlet west of Anchorage.

Ken