IGNORED

Riding in gravel

Francois_Dumas

Francois_Dumas

Hi all..... we finally had our yard finished with a top layer of gravel. Alas, it turned out a bit thicker than we envisaged, and now I need to drive my GS through it. Am a bit apprehensive... our gravel ROADS here are dusty, but HARD. This stuff is like soft sand... 

Any tips (apart from shoveling a path through it 🤣🤣🤣

20200714_185953.jpg

20200715_092221.jpg

That can be a problem! The main problem is you have to slow and stop to park. 

I am quite sure I would be feathering the clutch and pedaling with my feet the first try at least.....

• Thanks 1

I would have your wife dismount before you ride across it. Also, loose grip on the bars, the wheels are going to squirm a bit, you can't fight that. And don't grab a handful of front brake. 

• Thanks 2
Francois_Dumas

Thanks, that is what I thought. We never ride two-up here because the entrance to the yard is an extremely steep little driveway. I stopped them from throwing gravel all the way to the end, so I have some firm ground just before I have to go up, or come down. 

If you don't hear from me again..... 

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, Francois_Dumas said:

If you don't hear from me again..... 

Deep breath, you'll be fine! :thumbsup: :grin:

• Haha 1

Don’t use the clutch.   On/Off.  Weight way back.  Head up.  Eyes forward.  Hold the grips like they are egg shells.  Throttle, Throttle, Throttle.   The GS is more than capable in deep gravel.   Let it do the wok.   Keep giving it gas.  

FWIW, four inches of loose new gravel is enough to bring an RT with Roadtec 01 tires to a halt in the middle of the road where you will spin the rear tire and be unable to deploy side or center stand or push the bike in any direction.

DAMHIKT.

• Haha 2

If you have crushed angular gravel, consider mixing in some fine angular sand to help it from smushing around.  If it's rounded or river gravel, probably no changing the physics of your mix.  jc 

Francois_Dumas
2 minutes ago, Red said:

If you have crushed angular gravel, consider mixing in some fine angular sand to help it from smushing around.  If it's rounded or river gravel, probably no changing the physics of your mix.  jc 

Yes, it's the former. Will give riding through it a try this weekend. Drove the cars through it now, and that didn't look too bad. So I hope it will be okay for the GS as well. 

Good luck.  Let us know.  My wife and I are looking at a house that has that stuff up the hill until the concrete in front of the garage.

• Like 1

Yeah big street bikes which the GS is more street than dirt can push the front end.  while the front end may wander don't go stiff armed and keep a loose upper body to keep the your weight on the center of balance...maybe even stand on the pegs keep it moving with out a lot of rear wheel spin.  Rear brake only.

• Thanks 1
Francois_Dumas

Made it out, and back in again. Wasn't too bad.... sometime you must not overthink a situation 😊😊😊 Appreciate all the advice and tips, it all helped. Now the GS is fully functional again. 👍👍

20200725_191950.jpg

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Francois_Dumas said:

sometime you must not overthink a situation

Amen to that. Glad to hear things worked out. Do you also have a car? Driving it back and forth repeatedly over the gravel should help compact it, especially after some rain.

Francois_Dumas
8 hours ago, Selden said:

Do you also have a car? Driving it back and forth repeatedly over the gravel should help compact it, especially after some rain.

Yes, drove the car over it a few times but this stuff doesn't compact much. We had special river gravel for that, which is underneath. The problem is that we put a bit too much on. We had to rely on the experts when we ordered it. Could have done with 1/3 less. But hindsight is everything. 🤣🤣

18 hours ago, Francois_Dumas said:

Made it out, and back in again. Wasn't too bad.... sometime you must not overthink a situation 😊😊😊 Appreciate all the advice and tips, it all helped. Now the GS is fully functional again. 👍👍

20200725_191950.jpg

Can't quite see it all but looks like you may have an awesome view off the edge of your driveway! :thumbsup:

• Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...