IGNORED

Bosch

roadscholar

roadscholar

Anyone watching it? Pretty good as TV goes. Harry Bosch is a cool LAPD detective, although a little unconventional, not unlike a modern day Columbo  Had a tough childhood, ex Special Forces, and later found his calling. Good cinematography with a lot of interesting locations around LA. Some other interesting characters too.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bosch_(TV_series)

• Like 3
Joe Frickin' Friday

Binge-watched the whole series last year, and the most recent season as soon as they released it.  Waiting for more. 

• Like 1
roadscholar
8 hours ago, MikeB60 said:

I'm a fan as well.  A few of the actors from the Wire have roles a well, great casting choices me thinks!

Didn't see The Wire but I really like Jamie Hector as J. Edgar, he's good. Noticed Wendell Pierce was in that too, he's excellent as James Greer in Jack Ryan, def waiting on more of that. We've semi-binged watched both (weekends only), addictive stuff for sure although a conundrum so try to exercise a little delayed gratification cause you don't want it to end : ) 

Joe Frickin' Friday

This spring we also binge-watched Homeland, and now we're half way through The Amerikans.  I recommend both series.

Have also enjoyed The Marvelous Ms. Maisel.  Waiting for the next season.

Not sure what's next when we're done with The Amerikans...  

John Ranalletta
20 hours ago, roadscholar said:

Anyone watching it? Pretty good as TV goes. Harry Bosch is a cool LAPD detective, although a little unconventional, not unlike a modern day Columbo  Had a tough childhood, ex Special Forces, and later found his calling. Good cinematography with a lot of interesting locations around LA. Some other interesting characters too.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bosch_(TV_series)

One of the few times, a movie is made from a book series so seamlessly.  I've read all of Michael Connelly's Bosch novels.  The audiobooks are narrated by Titus Welliver who portrays Harry in the Prime series.  When they stop making Bosch movies, I'll have no reason to pay for Prime.  Anyone notice how Prime TV has become more of a paywall for other streaming entities.  Pay to pay.

• Like 1
Joe Frickin' Friday
11 hours ago, John Ranalletta said:

One of the few times, a movie is made from a book series so seamlessly.  I've read all of Michael Connelly's Bosch novels.  The audiobooks are narrated by Titus Welliver who portrays Harry in the Prime series.  When they stop making Bosch movies, I'll have no reason to pay for Prime.  Anyone notice how Prime TV has become more of a paywall for other streaming entities.  Pay to pay.

They did this with Homeland.  The first 7 seasons were free with Prime, and the 8th season was free with a 7-day trial of Showtime.  So we signed up for Showtime, then hammered through the 8th season in less than a week, letting us cancel Showtime without incurring a bill.  

Watched them all.  Good stuff, but for such a vintage stereo system, he really could use a set of speaker cables to hear all of that Coltrane.

boschsys.jpg

• Haha 1
roadscholar
On 7/12/2020 at 5:31 PM, John Ranalletta said:

One of the few times, a movie is made from a book series so seamlessly.  I've read all of Michael Connelly's Bosch novels.  The audiobooks are narrated by Titus Welliver who portrays Harry in the Prime series.  When they stop making Bosch movies, I'll have no reason to pay for Prime. 

Some pretty good insight.

roadscholar
12 hours ago, Jake said:

Watched them all.  Good stuff, but for such a vintage stereo system, he really could use a set of speaker cables to hear all of that Coltrane.

boschsys.jpg

Still have some old Mac stuff similar to that. On 'the farm' in the 70's we'd put the Altec Santiago's on the upstairs porch and crank it up for the occaisional pig roast/party, clear as a bell over a mile away.

• Like 2

Got hooked on it when it first came out.  Now I have my youngest daughter addicted as well.  I agree with the sentiment, the casting is incredible and the attention to detail amazes me.

Cannot wait for season eight.

Mike

John Ranalletta

Connelly's other series are as well written and entertaining, especially, the Mickey Haller (Lincoln Lawyer) series.

Mickey Haller Series:

Books in published order:
The Lincoln Lawyer (2005)
The Brass Verdict (2008) (also featuring Harry Bosch)
The Reversal (2010) (also featuring Harry Bosch)
The Fifth Witness (2011)
The Gods of Guilt (2013)
The Law Of Innocence (November 2020) (also featuring Harry Bosch)

Appearance in the following novels: Nine Dragons (2009), The Crossing (2015), The Wrong Side Of Goodbye (2016), Two Kinds Of Truth (2017), and The Night Fire (2019).

Renée Ballard Series:

The Late Show (2017)
Dark Sacred Night (2018) (also featuring Harry Bosch)
The Night Fire (2019) (also featuring Harry Bosch)

Jack McEvoy Series:

The Poet (1996)
The Scarecrow (2009)
Fair Warning (2020)
Small appearance in the following novels: A Darkness More Than Night (2001) and The Brass Verdict (2008).

Other Main Characters

Rachel Walling Appearances:
The Poet (1996)
The Narrows (2004) (sequel to The Poet)
Echo Park (2006)
The Overlook (2007)
The Scarecrow (2009)
Fair Warning (2020)
Small appearance in the following novels: The Reversal (2010) and The Black Box (2012), and The Burning Room (2014).

Terry McCaleb Appearances:
Blood Work (1998)
A Darkness More Than Night (2001)
The Narrows (2004)

Cassie Black Appearances:
Void Moon (2000)
Small appearance in the following novel: The Narrows (2004).

Henry Pierce Appearances:
Chasing The Dime (2002)

roadscholar
2 hours ago, Medic Mike said:

Got hooked on it when it first came out.  Now I have my youngest daughter addicted as well.  I agree with the sentiment, the casting is incredible and the attention to detail amazes me.

Cannot wait for season eight.

Mike

My girlfriend was watching a few early episodes with her 16 yo grandson (it's rated 18+), she said when it got to a sex scene he fast forwarded because it was embarrassing to watch with his grandmother. She said when he got home he binge-watched the whole thing.

• 4 weeks later...
roadscholar

We're still stuck on Bosch and digging it, really like the current crop of characters. Just into the first couple episodes of season 6, it's a conundrum, can't wait for the end but don't want it to either. I'd pretty much given up on TV until this came along.   

On 7/12/2020 at 3:12 PM, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

This spring we also binge-watched Homeland, and now we're half way through The Amerikans.  I recommend both series.

Have also enjoyed The Marvelous Ms. Maisel.  Waiting for the next season.

Not sure what's next when we're done with The Amerikans...  

If you haven't seen Poldark, give that a try.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/13/2020 at 5:30 AM, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

They did this with Homeland.  The first 7 seasons were free with Prime, and the 8th season was free with a 7-day trial of Showtime.  So we signed up for Showtime, then hammered through the 8th season in less than a week, letting us cancel Showtime without incurring a bill.  

We’re paying for it but at $12. a season no biggie plus no ads, beats the heck out of going to the movies. It’s not quite up with Bosch but not far off either, thanks for the tip.

On 8/14/2020 at 1:10 PM, AZgman said:

I have watched every Bosch episode and really enjoyed it. Another good series is "Goliath" with Billy Bob Thornton

Sounds good always liked Billy Bob, will check it out after Homeland.

I also loved both the books and the show.  Great text to film work.  I have enjoyed seeing Titus Welliver in his roles throughout the years, and think he is very good in Bosch.  Looking forward to more books and series.  Of course, this photo of him always makes me smile.  Loved that series as well.  Rogues Gallery: Titus Welliver | Movies | Empire

• Like 1
Joe Frickin' Friday

Another recommendation on Amazon Prime: Chance.  Hugh Laurie is the main character, but Ethan Suplee's character steals the show.  

• 2 months later...
John Ranalletta

Connelly's newest book, "The Law of Innocence", the latest in the Lincoln Lawyer series, is out.  Bosch, half-brother of the main character, plays a small part.  It's a typically-good Connelly work, except, he, like other authors can't resist takings jabs at Trump.  I really don't care which church an author attends, just don't preach when writing fiction.

I borrowed the audiobook from my local library.  You should be able to do so as well but there's usually a waiting list.

image.png.63148408b9723d1cb68c7733cf24ca5f.png

On 8/25/2020 at 9:13 PM, scout6 said:

I have enjoyed seeing Titus Welliver in his roles throughout the years

Titus Welliver just made a -  let's call it a cameo - on The Madalorian.    Made us giggle.

The-Mandalorian-Titus-Welliver-Moff-Gide

• 2 weeks later...
Joe Frickin' Friday

Two additional worthy series:

Ray Donovan:

Counterpart.  The simple sci-fi premise that sets it all up seems hokey at first, but it results in a really engrossing story.  Just two seasons, but very well done.

We're still plodding thru Homeland, not that it isn't riveting. We're watching 5 or 6 episodes on weekends and are a little over halfway, but at 96 episodes it's being drawn out which is fine. A little far fetched at times with the occasional leap of logic but acceptable considering how good everything else is. Molly has friends that had to stop watching, said it was just too intense : ) It is that but we like it, Claire Danes is one heck of an actress too.

Homeland TV Show | Top tv shows, Tv shows, Top tv

12 minutes ago, roadscholar said:

We're still plodding thru Homeland, not that it isn't riveting. We're watching 5 or 6 episodes on weekends and are a little over halfway, but at 96 episodes it's being drawn out which is fine. A little far fetched at times with the occasional leap of logic but acceptable considering how good everything else is. Molly has friends that had to stop watching, said it was just too intense : ) It is that but we like it, Claire Danes is one heck of an actrees too.

Homeland TV Show | Top tv shows, Tv shows, Top tv

The actually got alot of their information directly from the CIA and other intelligence operatives on how things work.  They also got to interview Snowden.

When I do training at my work, I tell them, "it may seem like this stuff only happens on TV, but in reality, espionage happens every day,......every day, our adversaries are doing whatever they can to get the information in your head". 

You'd be surprised to listen to former "spies" talk and how they went about their jobs........extremely interesting stuff from both our folks and the folks we "turned".

21 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

The actually got alot of their information directly from the CIA and other intelligence operatives on how things work.  They also got to interview Snowden.

When I do training at my work, I tell them, "it may seem like this stuff only happens on TV, but in reality, espionage happens every day,......every day, our adversaries are doing whatever they can to get the information in your head". 

You'd be surprised to listen to former "spies" talk and how they went about their jobs........extremely interesting stuff from both our folks and the folks we "turned".

Watching it I imagined some of it wasn't that far from reality, interesting to hear.

• 6 months later...
roadscholar

The good news is Bosch is back (June 25), the bad news is it's the last season.

Lately we've been watching The Kominsky Method, pretty funny series about a couple oldish buddies (one old, the other getting there) dealing with life's complexities and generation gaps in a Beverly Hills kind of way.  Some good writing, Alan Alda, Michael Douglas and a few cameos, Elliot Gould, Ann-Margaret, Danny DeVito, Jane Seymour and others. We were joking the target audience is probably in the 70-80 range, those younger may not get some of the classic references and those older might not remember them : )   

John Ranalletta
1 hour ago, roadscholar said:

The good news is Bosch is back (June 25), the bad news is it's the last season.

Lately we've been watching The Kominsky Method, pretty funny series about a couple oldish buddies (one old, the other getting there) dealing with life's complexities and generation gaps in a Beverly Hills kind of way.  Some good writing, Alan Alda, Michael Douglas and a few cameos, Elliot Gould, Ann-Margaret, Danny DeVito, Jane Seymour and others. We were joking the target audience is probably in the 70-80 range, those younger may not get some of the classic references and those older might not remember them : )   

Binge-watched the final season of Kominsky in one evening.  Could not believe how Kathleen Turner, Haley Joel Osment and Paul Reiser have aged, then I looked in the mirror and it all made sense.

There's hope:

Bosch is set to end on Amazon’s Prime Video later this year, but the character of Harry Bosch will live on in a spinoff at the tech giant’s ad-supported streaming service, IMDb TV.

Titus Welliver, Mimi Rogers and Madison Lintz will continue their roles on the spinoff, and much of the Bosch creative team, including series creator Eric Overmyer and author Michael Connelly, is also involved. The untitled spinoff is slated to begin filming later this year; the seventh and final season of Bosch will debut in the summer.

• Like 1
roadscholar
2 hours ago, John Ranalletta said:

Binge-watched the final season of Kominsky in one evening.  Could not believe how Kathleen Turner, Haley Joel Osment and Paul Reiser have aged, then I looked in the mirror and it all made sense.

Took me a couple episodes to positively ID Ann-Margaret with all the plastic surgery.