IGNORED

Taking Experienced Rider course with ABS

ChrisA

I'm taking the Experienced Rider course tomorrow. I've heard things about ABS system overheating, or overload or something bad about continued hard braking. What do I need to know about the system during the day while I'm there?

Having take the ERC on an BMW ABS bike, although admittedly an R1150RT, not a R1200RT, I don't think you'll have any issues. The course is just not that strenuous.

From what I've read the very rare circumstances on the R1200xx ABS where it fails (due to low battery) is after very intense prolonged police riding type training. That the ERC is not.

Besides, even if it does, it will be good training for you should you ever experience a real ABS system failure, right?

Have fun, the ERC is a hoot!

BTDT, a few weeks ago, with no problems whatsoever. I found the class very worthwhile, but as Ken says, the drills aren't that demanding on the braking system. Balance and control, especially at low speeds, are tested much more than braking.

Enjoy!

marcopolo

I picked up a 2006 RT two weeks ago and interestingly enough there was a 31/2 page supplement to the owner's maual about ABS. There is one whole section entitled "What Do We Observe During Rider Safety Training?". Essentially it says activating the ABS puts a heacy load on the battery, and if in training there is an unusual number of ABS-controlled stops in rapid succession, interspersed with periods of waiting/assessment without the bike being ridden much, the battery won't be recharged properly (by riding). This they say, "...can bring the ABS up to its technical limits in which its control function is no longer fulfilled.". They advise to check waring lamps before any session, ride the bike to charge the battery after max 5 braking exercises, switch off jheated grips/seats etc, and in pauses in training switch off the ignition (not/not with the kill switch).

Turning off the headlights might also help in this situation by reducing current drain, and would certainly not be a problem since you're on the track anyway. The way to do this has been posted before - hold down the turn cancel switch for 5 seconds, then the right turn switch for 5 seconds with the bike in neutral.

Jay

I picked up a 2006 RT two weeks ago and interestingly enough there was a 31/2 page supplement to the owner's maual about ABS. There is one whole section entitled "What Do We Observe During Rider Safety Training?". Essentially it says activating the ABS puts a heacy load on the battery, and if in training there is an unusual number of ABS-controlled stops in rapid succession, interspersed with periods of waiting/assessment without the bike being ridden much, the battery won't be recharged properly (by riding). This they say, "...can bring the ABS up to its technical limits in which its control function is no longer fulfilled.". They advise to check waring lamps before any session, ride the bike to charge the battery after max 5 braking exercises, switch off jheated grips/seats etc, and in pauses in training switch off the ignition (not/not with the kill switch).

I am fairly sure that the 'rider safety training' referred to is the typical European police style training which is very intensive with many quickly repeated deliberate ABS events. Ordinary road-based rider training should not get close to this - certainly my UK Institute of Advanced Motorcyclist training did not.

Andy

RoyTemple

I took the ERC course on my R1200RT on March 26 here in CT. The brakes performed great. No evidence of failure. I ran the whole time with all lights on. There are several braking exercise but nothing too strenuous. The bike stopped quicker than any other bike in the group.

I don't think you have a thing to worry about. thumbsup.gif

Archived