IGNORED

1998 R1100R Anniversary Edition

Tpoppa

I am considering picking up a 1998 R1100R Anniversary Edition.  This would be a second bike for 2 up riding.  GF doesn't like the passenger accommodations on My LC R1200R, the R1100R has a much roomier passenger seat.

I refuse to own anything with tubed tires.  The Anniversary Edition has spoked rims, but I seem to recall they are still tubeless.  Is that correct?

What should I be looking out for on that bike?

I think you're right, it has GS-style tubeless spoked wheels. You can tell by seeing 9f the spokes go out to the edge of the wheel. 

That bike will need an ignition trigger (AKA HES) and new front brake lines, so figure an extra $400 if you do it yourself.

I’m with you on the tubed tires. I love the Triumph Thruxton, Moto Guzzi V85TT etc but it would require (for me) wheel swaps. $$$$. 

• 1 month later...
On 7/10/2020 at 8:05 AM, Tpoppa said:

I am considering picking up a 1998 R1100R Anniversary Edition.  This would be a second bike for 2 up riding.  GF doesn't like the passenger accommodations on My LC R1200R, the R1100R has a much roomier passenger seat.

I refuse to own anything with tubed tires.  The Anniversary Edition has spoked rims, but I seem to recall they are still tubeless.  Is that correct?

What should I be looking out for on that bike?

I have the same bike and yes, the tires are tubeless.  I picked mine up with 44,000 miles on it and love it.  Only issue so far has been a failed starter.  There is a bit of play in the final drive pivot bearings that I'm keeping an eye on.  If it hasn't had an upgraded cam chain tensioner installed, that's worth doing.

P1000394.JPG

It's a redesigned R100S fairing produced by Airtech specifically for the R1100R.  MRA makes the windshield that is shown in the first photo. It's a couple inches taller than the stock S shield, has a slight flip at the top and is surprisingly functional....really transformed the bike for me. The stock BMW R90S or R100S windshield, in this pic, fit perfectly and look really good on the bike.   The fairing comes unpainted and is a bit of a chore to install.  There are scribe lines where it has to be cut out or drilled to be installed and attach the windshield but they are accurately placed and if you take your time it works out well.  

BMW R1100 R FAIRINGS, FAIRING, QUARTER, VINTAGE, CAFE, RS52, R SERIES, /5,  /6, RENNSPORT, KNOSHER, DALPHIN, HEINRICH, R65, R75, R90, R90S, WINDSHIELD,  R1150R, R1200R, R1100S, R1200S, R1200, BOXER CUP

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

Don,

I found the air tech site that sells the f11f fairing.  But I’m interested in the taller windshield that MRA sells.  What is the contact information for ordering that windshield?  It appears to be taller than the one that airtech sells.  Any information would be helpful.  Thank you