IGNORED

R1100RS ABS Fault Code #9 (Unknown)

350sierra

First post on the forum, and new to the R1100RS.  When I bought the bike it had a flashing ABS light, and I wanted to post this since it took me a lot of forum searching to come up with the solution.  I was having a heck of a time troubleshooting, and thanks only to the article below I was able to get it sorted.

http://www.largiader.com/abs/absfault.html

Symptom: turn ignition on, ABS light flashes at 1Hz, take off, and the self test fails (no clunk, and the ABS light alone continues flashing at 1Hz).  I checked the fault codes using the tutorial in the link above and came up with fault code #9 "unknown, but seems to exist".

Turns out the tail light running lamp was burned out (brake light still worked).  Super simple fix: replace the bulb, reset the ABS faults, and no more flashing light.

I wanted to post this since it wasn't obvious to me to check for burned out bulbs, and it makes for a good first check if anyone has a flashing abs light.

Michaelr11

Glad you got it fixed, but not by changing the running lamp.  If your bike really is an R1100RS, then you have the ABS2 system.  The ABS2 doesn't interface with the lights of the bike.  When you did the ABS reset you cleared the error and it didn't return.   The next system, I-ABS does have the brake light and running light in the system. If the brake light fails the system will use the tail light to go low or high to compensate for the missing brake light.  1100RS doesn't have this.

My bike is a 94 R1100RS, and a bulb setting off an ABS light does seem a bit silly.

I cleared the ABS codes 3 or 4 times and rode around trying to troubleshoot the issue before changing the bulb, the 21W bulb and 5W bulb were reversed, and the 21W bulb appeared to still have some continuity.  Oh well, the black magic worked :)

Any idea what sets a #9 ABS fault in case it comes back?

50 minutes ago, 350sierra said:

My bike is a 94 R1100RS, and a bulb setting off an ABS light does seem a bit silly.

I cleared the ABS codes 3 or 4 times and rode around trying to troubleshoot the issue before changing the bulb, the 21W bulb and 5W bulb were reversed, and the 21W bulb appeared to still have some continuity.  Oh well, the black magic worked :)

Any idea what sets a #9 ABS fault in case it comes back?

Afternoon  350sierra

Even on the later BMW motorcycles with the I-ABS (wizzy) brake system a rear bulb will not cause an ABS malfunction or put on the ABS light. It will only put on the general warning light not the ABS light. 

On the code 9, good luck with that one. It's there all right but I haven't ever been able to confirm exactly  what causes it to set. I have seen a code 9 stored after a low system voltage condition but that doesn't seem to always do it, as well as I have seen a code 9 with no apparent malfunctions or other influences. FWIW a code 9 doesn't seem to be the cause of an ABS lock-out or require a re-set to make the ABS function again. It just sort of shows up when reading the codes & doesn't seem to effect much.   BMW doesn't even have the code 9 in their assigned fault list so it seems to not be an assigned fault code. 

__________________________________________________________________________________

On your old  ABS II system one of the better diagnostic tactics is to find out EXACTLY when the system defaults--  

At key-on, the two ABS lights should flash together and should continue to do so until the ABS self-test is complete (doesn't happen until you start to ride the bike away), at that time they should go out.

If the self-test fails, they will begin to flash alternately. The exact moment when they start to flash alternately is usually when the problem appears.

If_ it happens before you start the engine then it is usually a system that is tested at first power-up.

If_ it faults when you start the engine then it is usually a low battery voltage problem.

If_ it faults when you ride away it could be the ABS controller, stuck piston, or possibly a wheel speed sensor.

What systems are tested at first startup?  The bottom ABS light was flashing as soon as i turn the key on.  I did trickle charge the battery over night and tried clearing the codes with no luck.  Could a partially burned out bulb somehow drop the voltage?

16 minutes ago, 350sierra said:

What systems are tested at first startup?  The bottom ABS light was flashing as soon as i turn the key on.  I did trickle charge the battery over night and tried clearing the codes with no luck.  Could a partially burned out bulb somehow drop the voltage?

Afternoon  350sierra

Could a partially burned out bulb somehow drop the voltage?--No, that should have no effect on your older ABS II system. Bulbs have no input or effect on the ABS II braking system malfunctions.

The starter is the biggest drain on the electrical system so they usually fault to low voltage during engine starting. 

What systems are tested at first startup?-- I don't know all of what's tested but it looks for enough voltage on the internal electronics, proper resistance on the ABS motor relay, correct resistance on the shaft clutches (things like that).  

It can be tricky to get the codes to clear so be persistent & go well over 8 seconds on the ABS switch hold down. I have also seen inoperative ABS switches on the older motorcycles so if all else fails try shorting the ABS switch wires to clear the ABS lock-out.  

Does your top ABS light work? 

• 3 weeks later...

So I've been riding the bike a bit more.  It seems if i start the bike in gear and drive off the abs solenoids engage and the light goes out.  Is there supposed to be a starting sequence?  If i start in neutral then shift into 1st the bottom light stays flashing (the light is flashing when i turn the ignition switch).

The top abs light does not come on at all, it may be burned out?

10 hours ago, 350sierra said:

So I've been riding the bike a bit more.  It seems if i start the bike in gear and drive off the abs solenoids engage and the light goes out.  Is there supposed to be a starting sequence?  If i start in neutral then shift into 1st the bottom light stays flashing (the light is flashing when i turn the ignition switch).

The top abs light does not come on at all, it may be burned out?

Morning 350sierra

First, you really should try to get that 2nd ABS light working so we know what the system is doing & when it it is doing what.

As for the starting procedure effecting the ABS malfunction-- I really don't know on that. My guess is something else is effecting it during the different starting techniques. 

Are you holding the brake lever or pedal on differently during the different starting techniques.

Are you holding the clutch lever in or leaving it out differently during the different starting  techniques?

Try doing EVERYTHING the same during the in gear & neutral starting THEN see if it defaults the same.

It is usually a low voltage thing during engine starting that causes the default so keep that in mind when you do the starting & ride off. Is SOMETHING causing a lower system voltage during neutral starting???????

If you are holding the clutch lever in (clutch released) during in-gear starting then  be sure to hold the clutch lever in during neutral starting as that takes the cold gear oil  transmission drag load off of the starter. 

I will try swapping around some bulbs in the short term and see if i can get that upper abs light to come on, it might be as simple as a burned out bulb.

To replicate the abs working condition, i can put the bike in 1st gear, kickstand up, no braking, turn the ignition switch to "on", holding the clutch down I start the bike and slowly release the clutch and throttle to the 5km/hr, i then hear the abs solenoid kick in, and the light goes out.  It feels like I have to pat my head and simultaneously rub my belly 😂.

48 minutes ago, 350sierra said:

I will try swapping around some bulbs in the short term and see if i can get that upper abs light to come on, it might be as simple as a burned out bulb.

To replicate the abs working condition, i can put the bike in 1st gear, kickstand up, no braking, turn the ignition switch to "on", holding the clutch down I start the bike and slowly release the clutch and throttle to the 5km/hr, i then hear the abs solenoid kick in, and the light goes out.  It feels like I have to pat my head and simultaneously rub my belly 😂.

Morning  350sierra

How do you  replicate getting the ABS NON-working condition? (exactly what you do to start it)