IGNORED

Only 5 months out of a PIAA bulb?

twilmotte

twilmotte

Ouch! After only 5 months of riding, one of my PIAA 1100X bulbs has burned out. I knew it would be expensive to replace the bulb, but I sure thought I'd get more than 5 months. And who knows about the other one? How long do these bulbs generally last? Can anyone advise me where is the best source to purchase a replacement bulb? A quick scan of several internet sources reveals the cheapest prices seem to be in the $40 to $45 range. Ouch! frown.gifbncry.gif

Tom, I've had three Piaa bulbs burn out in the last two years. Don't believe any of the sales pitches. I now use a lower price bulb with no problems, last longer,same amount of light. Check out this sight for interesting information about light bulbs.

Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

I'll probably jinx myself, but ...

I've got a pair of PIAA 1200 driving lights, which I installed 4-29-2001 (30k miles ago). I bought replacement bulbs (PIAA's) thinking I'd be going through them quickly. I'm still running the original bulbs.

There. I said it. I'll reckon I'll blow my first one next week tongue.gif

------------------

Chris (aka Tender Vittles )

Little '77 KZ400 in the Big Apple

Black '99 RT for Everywhere Else, such as ...

310287-mar2004.gif

Go to Home Depot or Lowes, and get a 50 watt MR-16 spot light. They are 5 watts less than the PIAA bulb, and about $5 instead of $40.

Tom I had the same problems with my 1100X bulbs - check to make sure your bulbs aren't actually burned out...the PIAA housing isn't waterproof so of course water gets in there and wreaks havoc with the 2 little prongs on the bulb that go into the ceramic connector. They basically corrode and break. The cure is to goop plenty of dielectric grease on the connector pins and also into the little holes. Fixed it for me. You can get that stuff at Pep Boys, Autozone, Strauss, etc...

twilmotte

Larry, thanks for the tip on Daniel Stern lighting. I went to that sight and educated myself, but didn't see any on-line order form. Is that where you got your bulbs from?

twilmotte

Tony, thanks for the tip. I didn't use dielectric grease when I installed them and the bulb doesn't look burned out when I examine it with a flashlight (although I can't see the entire filament). I'll try the dielectric stuff. thumbsup.gif

twilmotte

Burt, I tried to pm this to you but couldn't find your email address. Will I have to pry the glass PIAA lens off the front of the bad PIAA lamp? And what do you recommend to seal the glass lens on an MR-16 dichroic lamp? Looks like the MR-16s don't have a lens on the front of them. TIA smile.gif

Archived