IGNORED

Knowing when to say when.

I've decided that my riding career is over. I've sold my bike and am in the process of sorting out what gear I have left and will post it here and on ADV.

Nancy and I have bought a boat (actually two, but we only owned one of them for a few weeks) and I've been busy making it "ours" via various projects. She will be 75 in July and I will be 74 in September. Knowing we do not have limitless time together, I would rather spend it with her on our boat than to be riding by myself. She never once complained about my bikes, my trips or my time spent online. It was never her thing and I knew that from day one. 

I joined in March of 2005 and rode to Gunnison for my first UN where Mama Hoon gave me a welcoming hug. Everyone there was friendly and I had a great time. A few years later, the Pied Pipers started out in CA on their way East and ended up at our house. What a great time. We had a mini-tech day with Jamie showing me how to sync carbs with plastic tubing and power steering fluid. Home made ice cream was a great hit with all in attendance. 

Looks like I almost made it to 7,000 posts which makes me wonder if I needed a 12 step program!

With only one exception, everyone that I have met on or because of this forum would make a good neighbor.

Thanks for all the good memories.  I have ridden coast to coast including Meat Cove at the end of Nova Scotia. Owned a lot of different Beemers over the years and enjoyed the last one, 2012 R 1200 R the most. Last fall I enjoyed some of the finest riding days ever in Colorado when the sky was blue, the sun was shining and the Aspen were quaking. I have no regrets.

My thanks to all of you who have made my time here so welcoming and enjoyable.

Ride Well

Bud

IMG_20190924_134218 (1).jpg

IMG_20190924_133036.jpg

• Like 8

There's nothing more enjoyable to me than spending time with my wife.  Sometimes, when she's doing whatever project she's doing and I'm there just "lending a hand", I stare,......she asks what I'm looking at "nothing",.....but in my mind, I'm looking at the best thing that ever happened to me.

I've been asked at work why I'm in such a hurry to leave in the evening,......my reply is, "I love my wife and never know how much time I have left with her",......I get blank stares back.

Good on ya Bud,....methinks you're making the correct and right decision.

• Like 2

Bud...have fun.  Just consider it a hobby change.  I doubt shortly you will miss it at all.  Stay engaged with forums like this, keep reading, magazines etc.  I gave up flying in March after 43 years.  I thought I would miss it but I don't.  I am still engaged keeping up with reg changes, new electronics, new flight planning software, etc.  I pretty much do all I use to except getting in the plane.  It keeps me satisfied.  Flying is over but fishing is up more.  Just a hobby change.  Change one thing I loved for something else I love and didn't have time to do.

Stay with us...it will be therapeutic and you have a lot to offer this site.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Rougarou said:

I've been asked at work why I'm in such a hurry to leave in the evening,......my reply is, "I love my wife and never know how much time I have left with her"

K...what are ya after now? Let’s see, New bike, Nice new flagpole, New John-Deere tractor...I’m Kidding, ;) :D that’s nice! :thumbsup:

• Like 1
realshelby

Bud, I have no doubt you would enjoy driving to BMW events just to meet up with those you have come to know. You would always be welcome. Your wife would enjoy the trips. You might not be on the rides each day, but there is usually a lot to do that is interesting in areas where events are!

• Like 1

Bud, I understand completely. I played music semi professionally since I was 18. When I gave it up I thought it would be terrible. I don’t miss it at all. Life goes on and it’s best to roll with it. Enjoy. 

I think it is a question that cross everyone's mind these days - when is it time to stop _____ . Unlike Rinkydink, I stopped playing drums for a few years due to a band breakup, but the urge came back to harder than it was before so I am playing and composing again.  Maybe just for me, but who knows.  As for riding, the more I see the idiots on the road, the more I question it myself.  I value my life and limbs. Eventually the value will outweigh the joy I get from riding. But enough about me - I am happy for you Bud just sorry I have not gotten to meet you.

3 hours ago, TEWKS said:

K...what are ya after now? Let’s see, New bike, Nice new flagpole, New John-Deere tractor...I’m Kidding, ;) :D that’s nice! :thumbsup:

I guess Google flew over my house this morning as this wasn't in my driveway last night.:18:

IMG_20200709_093903.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
John Ranalletta

Did you sell the 2025, Bud?  I'm looking at buying one if a certain seller accepts our purchase offer.

3 hours ago, TEWKS said:

She did get two new trucks in 2018,.....I'm just trying to catch up.:5146:

• Haha 1

Thanks for all of your responses. It has been an honor and pleasure being a member of the BMWST family.

• Thanks 1

Bud - 

Great post - sweet C-Dory!

Here is wishing you and your most loved one many wonderful nautical (s)miles.  I noticed you did not say good-bye, so let's call it a fare-thee-well.  I am influenced by those who make great life decisions and do it right, this is one of those.

Bud, enjoyed our times with you at events. Driving to see old friends is encouraged.

I stopped, not by choice. It is difficult. 

Beth and I shared riding for many decades, have  many friends from here.

Stay in touch, enjoy your time together. We've talked about this and I'm happy for y'all.

Hope you find favorable winds.

• Like 1

Reading this pushes a lot of buttons for someone who turned 74 last month, especially the part about "She never once complained about my bikes, my trips or my time spent online." Many of us have spouses who have put up with a great deal to allow us to pursue our passions. Fortunately, my wife is an excellent passenger who enjoys riding — plus I get free shoulder massages 2-up. 

The end of the road is there for each of us; it's just closer for some than others. Enjoy your boating years. I have friends in North Carolina who made exactly the same decision, and now spend their time together sailing, having sold all but one of their motorcycles.

• Like 2