IGNORED

Where Parking in Venice Italy

Hi, I will be in Venice next week, anyone an idea where to park near the centre? It looks like parking garage are mostly for cars!?

John Ranalletta
1 hour ago, Dreamer said:

Thanks!

Actually, I think we parked our car in this facility when we visited.  buon viaggio

On 7/9/2020 at 1:38 PM, Dreamer said:

Yes it looks like no motorcycle parking in that garage, booking only accepts car's!

I don't know your circumstances, like are you planning on staying on the island overnight, or where you are staying the night before...but, I visit Venezia every year for a few days and have a home two hours away and have some suggestions.  This is what I'd recommend if you are planning a day trip only.  

I would find a hotel on the train line not too far from the island and take the train in.  There are plenty of charming villages and small towns not far from the lagoon.  Leave your bike in the security of your hotel.   When you get off of the train and exit the station, the Grand Canal is in front of you.  When you are finished, hop back on the train and return.  Verona, famous for Shakespeare's "star crossed lovers" is about 60 miles away and is a lovely town with an ancient Colosseum.  If you choose Verona, check the performance schedule for the Colosseum (La Arena). Although it's famous for it's opera, I saw Alicia Keyes there years ago. Closer in there is Vicenza (home to Campagnolo bicycle equipment factory) and Padua (famed for it's University)...both interesting places to visit.  (I'd literally steer clear of Mestre...it's a tangle of traffic and confusing  roads)

That said, staying overnight in Venezia is the ideal.  Once the ship tourists go back to their ships for dinner, you'll find the town much less crowded.  And then, the next morning until those cruise tourists return, you'll find it calm until 11 or so.  But, then you're back to finding a secure place for your bike.  In any event, buon viaggio!

• Like 2
John Ranalletta
7 hours ago, RPondaRoad said:

Once the ship tourists go back to their ships for dinner, you'll find the town much less crowded.  And then, the next morning until those cruise tourists return, you'll find it calm until 11 or so.  

Can vouch for that.  Our second visit included an evening dinner at my cousin's favorite restaurant and a nightcap at the Florin on a virtually deserted and pigeon-free piazza san marco. 

10 minutes ago, John Ranalletta said:

Can vouch for that.  Our second visit included an evening dinner at my cousin's favorite restaurant and a nightcap at the Florin on a virtually deserted and pigeon-free piazza san marco. 

John, I'll bet those nightcaps at the Florian in Piazza San Marco cost about the same as your dinner.  Even with it's history of being the worlds oldest coffee shop, I drink too much to stop there!!!  :4607:

John Ranalletta
12 hours ago, RPondaRoad said:

John, I'll bet those nightcaps at the Florian in Piazza San Marco cost about the same as your dinner.  Even with it's history of being the worlds oldest coffee shop, I drink too much to stop there!!!  :4607:

During our second visit, accompanied by Vittorio, my cousin, an engineer with a business in Gorizia, it rained mightily.  So much so, we walked on elevated walkways and the water was breaching the wall in the piazza - a minor event compared to recent floods.  My cousin's companion, Annalisa, a successful resort manager and realtor in Lignano Sabbiadoro reached out to a friend who worked for Italian TV (Rai Due?) and arranged for a visit and tour of their facility, a castle built by a Spanish nobleman.  It was museum quality complete with gorgeous chandeliers of Murano glass and alfrescos created by renowned artists of their time  .  It was said the owner would entertain guests using gold and silver utensils and dishes, then impress his guests by throwing them into the canal when dinner was over.  Some suggested his servants were dispatched the next day to retrieve them!!!

A memorable experience was the water taxi ride to the airport through the ancient city through a fog that clung to the water.  Unforgettable for sure.

• Like 1
Bill_Walker
15 hours ago, John Ranalletta said:

A memorable experience was the water taxi ride to the airport through the ancient city through a fog that clung to the water.  Unforgettable for sure.

I had one of those rides, too!  Though maybe not as foggy as yours.

IMG_4227.thumb.jpg.b7bcfea43ebef3375cc04d34ef7b4e0e.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi thanks for the reply's, we parked Sam Marco garage which was easy I found out. And watertaxi we did from San Marco square to the parking area, was 50 euro but we needed the break after Al the walking (-;