IGNORED

Brake pad replacement

NumbHands

Well, at least it isn't an oil thread.

Lookin?g for advice on pad replacement with aftermarkets that most resemble original braking performance. Bike has 19K and is about due for new shoes. 

Are the HH too grabby? Would the semi-sintered EBC V series feel the same as OEM?

Thoughts?

Michael

alegerlotz
3 hours ago, NumbHands said:

Well, at least it isn't an oil thread.

Lookin?g for advice on pad replacement with aftermarkets that most resemble original braking performance. Bike has 19K and is about due for new shoes. 

Are the HH too grabby? Would the semi-sintered EBC V series feel the same as OEM?

I'm running the EBC Sintered pads FA630HH up front and have yet to install the FA209HH in the rear.  I bought them from Beemer Boneyard.

I've had the front pads on the bike for about 6K miles and I like the feel of them; they stop as least as well as the originals and seem to dust less.

They do make a bit of a funny noise (almost like a whir) when being applied.  I think that the noise has to do with the fact that they're essentially two large pad blocks per side with a gap in between.  Somehow that design and the drilled rotors must create the unique sound.

I'll be buying them again.

Edit:  BTW, The picture on the beemer boneyard web site shows a single large pad block for each side on the FA630HH.  My pads look more like the picture for the FA630V... with 2 piece pads, but I have the packaging and I am definitely running the FA630HH pads.

• 2 weeks later...

I will also recommend the pads from Beemer Boneyard ( use the code BMWST for a 10% discount! ). I could feel an improvement in brake feel when I installed them. 

That "whir" noise isn't necessarily made worse or better by which pad you are running. Likely the same with the stock pad. Caused by the holes in the rotor. 

• Like 1
On 7/17/2020 at 1:14 PM, realshelby said:

That "whir" noise isn't necessarily made worse or better by which pad you are running. Likely the same with the stock pad. Caused by the holes in the rotor. 

I never heard it with the stock pads for some reason.  Doesn't matter, these brakes work great and dust less than the stock pads in my experience.

Haven't replaced brake pads yet on my Wethead, but have used EBC pads many times on other bikes I've owned with excellent results and maybe even easier on disk wear too.  Will go to EBC when the time comes.