IGNORED

Lock System?

Dreamer

Hi, what kind of Lock do you advise?

I have on my R1200RT the usual steering lock and alarm and have a GPS Tracker. Alternatives:

Lock Weel disk break lock.JPGLock Cable Lock.JPGLock D-Lock.JPGLock Chain Lock.JPG

What lock is to be adviced? 

Thanks

That all depends on what you specifically need and the neighborhood it is being parked in.

Which type of securement are you looking at doing?   Regularly parked outside overnight?  Out and about type of parking?  Daily commute to park in an Industrail area?  

In London, I have seen a LOT of disc brake locks.  Sometimes I see the disc brake lock along with the thick, heavy chain trhrough the wheels around a post, but that is in Bermondsey.  Other areas of England I have seen less secure methods.  In the states, I rarely see anything to that degree, but I do hear about an occasional bike theft.  Same goes for London.  It can happen not matter what.

Hi William, thanks. I will travel for two weeks and park in cities in Italy like Venice, Genua and Florence. I think then a disk lock should be sufficiënt? Mayby also a bike-cover will help preventing theft?

I use a disk lock with something attached from the lock to my handlebars to make sure I never forget the lock and ride off before unlocking.  I also attach the key to the key ring holding my ignition key as another reminder.