IGNORED

A green country turns RED !!!

Francois_Dumas

Francois_Dumas

Once a year our weirdly green and subdued country all of a sudden bursts into a symphony of colors..... red seems to dominate.

What happens!?

It is tulip (and other) bulb time ! Today the Spring 'hit' us with unexpetced force, driving temperatures up to a record 28 C (record since 1949) ! Nature seems to be breaking records each year for the past 5 years or so.

Wettest Automn, Hottest Summer, Hottest Spring Day... you name it, we had it over the past few years.

Although I woke up with my customary (for hot weather) splitting headache, I figured I'd better get on that RT and shoot some pictures before the farmers snap off all the colored flower heads (to preserve the energy in the bulb).

Nina wanted to ride too..... so we both got sore behinds now, but had a wonderful afternoon !! *grin*.

WARNING:

Tune down the brigthness of your monitor before scrolling down... these are some BRIGHT RED TULIPS !!! smirk.gifsmirk.gifsmirk.gifsmirk.gif

I find it so weird to see these stark color stripes through our otherwise evenly green landscape..... seen it for so many years and still it amazes me...

67806528-L.jpg

Good that we went.. as you can see they have already started 'beheading' the poor flowers !!

67806535-L.jpg

A few miles down another road.. pink ones here too...

67806536-L.jpg

And what would be northern Holland without some black-and-whites....

67806539-L.jpg

The region also has some wonderful old towns as you know by now wink.gif Here's another 16th century building...

67806545-L.jpg

And on we rode... over the dikes towards the North Sea.... flowers here too....

67806548-L.jpg

The cows don't seem to care much....... oh well... seen one seen them all I suppose.... tulips, I mean smirk.gif

67806554-L.jpg

Stark contrast eh?

I wonder about these sort of pictures when thinking about some of the desert photos from the US... such a difference... both awesome landscapes....

67806565-L.jpg

This one is near the city of Alkmaar.... we criscrossed all through the province....

67806568-L.jpg

And then we went on to my second passion for the day.. THE PLANES !!!

67806574-L.jpg

Even Nina enjoyed it this time.... she LOVES high temperatures, I love planes..... we both love the RT... what else can one wish for ?

67806579-L.jpg

Our trusted steed....

67806583-L.jpg

Woops.. the snapper snapped !! I usually don't get onto pictures.... and I don't mind at all !!!

67806589-L.jpg

Nina, on the other hand, gets onto MANY of them..... my doing, of course <g>

67806593-L.jpg

All crabbed landings today with a fierce cross wind blowing over the 5th runway.....

67806596-L.jpg

Home after 4,5 hours..... tired..... had fun !

67806600-L.jpg

Amazing story and photos. grin.gif

I love very much the Tulips, 30 years ago I was in Amsterdam visiting the tulip market and saw how the tulips are sold all over the world... Yes I know, to long ago frown.gif

I also love very much the planes, is there any relation between motorcycles and planes??

Thank you as always for sharing clap.gifclap.gif

Mike.

P.D. Don't sell the RT, you will miss it tongue.gif

Francois.... "International man of mystery"....love the shades...put a cig. in your right had and you could be a movie star.....Francois McQueen

67806589-L.jpg

Paul Mihalka

Sure got beautiful tulips! Lucky you don't have the herds of deer we have here. They would behead the tulips faster then the farmers. My wife knows. She loves gardening and became a expert in what deer like and don't like!

Thanks Francois

Great shots. The stark contrast in colours between the vibrant tulips you are showing us now and the "greys" of winter in previous posts is what I sometimes would like to experience (well.....maybe not first hand).

I live in the tropics and you really don't see the "in your face" contrast of colours you have shared with us today.

It's like somone took a bright highlighter and said "This is where I'll grow tulips" and the reply was "So be it".

Nearly 3 weeks from the official start of winter in Cairns and today it was overcast and 28C. And everything is still a thousand shades of green.

I really appreciate your photos from the other side of the world. Keep up the good (no...great) work

Firefight911

Francois,

Thanks so very much for the wonderful photos, as usual.

Wow! Such concentrated bursts of color! And to tie it all up with a bow of airplanes!!! clap.gif

Love it!

Francois_Dumas

Thanks for watching everybody..... and for reading!

I am never sure to 'blabber' about my photos or just show the piccies...

Miguel, the relation between motorbikes and planes for me at least is that I am a total 'mechanical freak' and love airplanes and flying since I received a metal model from my 'crazy uncle' when I was 5.

He was ALSO the one who put me on his BMW motorcycle at that time..... so there !

I also love cars (raced go-karts, Opels and BMW's) and even boats (sailing)......

The bike is my latest 'hobby' and one I can still afford.... so I use it to take me to the other places that interest me.. such as the airfields wink.gif

Moviestar eh? Hardly... Nina hates cigars !! grin.gif

Paul, I think all the deer are in Hungary.. we saw hundreds of them there... they were not eating tulips ! cool.gif

67806579-L.jpg

Wonderful pictures Mon Ami !

All are beautiful but kudos to Nina looking "tres chic" with the fighter pilot scarf, wonderful grin and twinkle in her eye !

Regarding green-turns-to-red though, it's "the funniest thing" grin.gif there is a Holland analog (only an hours travel north from my home) in the Skagit Valley area, specifically LaConner WA:

42695679-M.jpg

18885679-M.jpg

18885682-S.jpg

18885684-M.jpg

"Pre-BMW" I was up there a lot boating in nearby waters and asked a local kid how they tolerate the many tulip-loving tourists.

Don't know that I ever got an answer but he shared a family story that I love to this day:

His grandmother had sent away an order to Holland for tulip bulbs. After weeks of waiting the wonderful day came - she received the bulbs and upon looking them over came to realize indeed they were from Holland but originally from LaConner WA and after much travel and hoopla now returned to their source dopeslap.gif

LOL, one assumes Grandmother never saw the "dopeslap" icon but would have known exactly what it meant tongue.gif

Francois_Dumas

Nina says 'thanks !' (she does not want me to put her pictures on the 'Net, but I ivariably do.. don't we all want to share beiatiful 'things'???).

Yes, I heard about that particular area before, knowing some peeps who fly there .... amazing isn't it ??

But most tourist still flock to the Dutch fields, clogging the already clogged roads...... crazy.gif

Steve1962

How does Nina like being a BMW Sport Touring mascot ??

Great photos and ride report ,

Steve

Francois_Dumas
How does Nina like being a BMW Sport Touring mascot ??

Great photos and ride report ,

Steve

heheh.. I haven't told her smirk.gif

Francois, i love the pictures! i have never seen a live tulip plant before. tulip flowers here in our country are imported from holland. the photos you have shared are really appreciated. i hope i will be able to see the same scenery in the future smile.gif

Funny...I was in Holland last weekend on the bike and the tulips weren't up yet!

What part of Michigan did you say you were from? grin.gif

Nice pictures, the tulips will be blooming here soon thumbsup.gif

Francois_Dumas
Francois, i love the pictures! i have never seen a live tulip plant before. tulip flowers here in our country are imported from holland. the photos you have shared are really appreciated. i hope i will be able to see the same scenery in the future smile.gif

You are welcome to them, Shyr.. AND welcome to the board.

What country did you say you were from !?? smile.gif

Kind regards,

Francois

But most tourist still flock to the Dutch fields, clogging the already clogged roads......

My parents were in your neck of the woods, they took a riverboat cruise on a 120 person boat [not too big, nor too small, just right].

from their email

We just returned from our river cruise through the Netherlands and Belgium. We spent 7 nights on a river boat and 3 nights at a hotel in Brussels. We boarded the boat in Amsterdam and cruised mostly at night and took walking and bus tours from when the boat was docked. Some of the most enjoyable parts of the cruise was visiting the Aalsmeer Flower Auction, Keukenhof Flower Park, Kinderdijk (UNESCO landmark of windmill sites), Gouda (Cheese factory), Antwerp, Lier, Bruges and Brussels (visited a Lace shop and chocolate factory where we sampled the products).

The weather was cool in the beginning and sometimes rainy but when we got to the Flower gardens and Windmills, the sun shined and that made for great pictures. Most of the time the weather was great except at the beginning and the last day at Bruges

It was a "See the Tulips" Crusie, and it was the first cruise to actually see the blooms dopeslap.gif [the crew was more excited than my parents grin.gif]

Sounds like a neat trip [and yours was too thumbsup.gif]

Archived