Fabreezai

Greetings fellow “oilheads”!

Fabreezai

Just found out that Im an oilhead! Awesome!
Im continuing post from the introduction section. So here goes:

I am a self proclaimed mechanic (Only for myself/hobby) worked On many engines on cars, boats, trucks, motorcycles, tractors, mowers, etc. Im particularly fond of 2 stroke engines. I have a couple of bikes now, both are Japanese. I have a small shop with a bike lift and Mr. Snap-on man is my drug dealer.

Enter my 97’ BMW  R1100R (ABS). Whole new ball of wax for me! Engines are engines overall but fuel injection and ABS is not something Im familiar with. I did all the basic stuff since it was sitting so long. Final drive, transmission, engine oil, New air and oil filter, front and rear brake fluid, new tires are on the way.

Now, the fuel system...... The tank, yes that tank, the same tank I took off the bike,  Tank that holds fuel, aka “fuel tank”...... 🤦‍♂️

The ethanol that was in the fuel, reeked Havoc on the inside of the tank.  

😔

30AC0B10-12D9-4BBF-B981-A9B3D214990F.jpeg

435D7917-3D9C-478B-BABC-6FE03C2FD348.jpeg

6DB36BA0-5350-4BAD-9AF1-D23F090A3BF8.jpeg

C5E271EE-7CF8-4B30-B35F-921A7E64E014.jpeg

dirtrider
1 hour ago, Fabreezai said:

Just found out that Im an oilhead! Awesome!
Im continuing post from the introduction section. So here goes:

I am a self proclaimed mechanic (Only for myself/hobby) worked On many engines on cars, boats, trucks, motorcycles, tractors, mowers, etc. Im particularly fond of 2 stroke engines. I have a couple of bikes now, both are Japanese. I have a small shop with a bike lift and Mr. Snap-on man is my drug dealer.

Enter my 97’ BMW  R1100R (ABS). Whole new ball of wax for me! Engines are engines overall but fuel injection and ABS is not something Im familiar with. I did all the basic stuff since it was sitting so long. Final drive, transmission, engine oil, New air and oil filter, front and rear brake fluid, new tires are on the way.

Now, the fuel system...... The tank, yes that tank, the same tank I took off the bike,  Tank that holds fuel, aka “fuel tank”...... 🤦‍♂️

The ethanol that was in the fuel, reeked Havoc on the inside of the tank.  

😔

Evening  Fabreezai

Pretty common on a lined steel tank that has been stored long term with old fuel in it.

My guess is the fuel pump & pump pass though assembly are just as bad. Might even have totaled fuel injectors. 

A used tank from E-Bay, complete with fuel pump assembly & pump  (if you can find one) is the best/easiest repair.

Otherwise you can work your tail off trying to get all that rust, corrosion, old tank liner, etc cleaned up (I usually use electrolysis method as that works pretty good) but a handful of old bolts & nuts with some small stones mixed in, then some solvent (or lye) in the tank with the bolts & nuts. Then bungee cord to your tractor wheel or ATV & mow the lawn a few times, that  can break a lot of that crud free.

Once you have it squeaky clean inside (like clean enough to eat out of) then you can re-apply a new tank liner (Red Cote or something similar).

Probably E-Bay (or maybe Beemer Boneyard  for a new pump assembly & pump/strainer/ filter/ & definitely new hoses. 

Remember the hoses inside the fuel tank are special (expensive)  as they must be high pressure & fuel submersible (both inside & outside). 

Mrclubike

The local Airhead guys have made a rotisserie to mount the tank into for agitation 

Like DR said put your cleaning solution in with some screws

Mount it up in the rotisserie  and let it eat

Good luck with finding a good used tank

Make sure the seller describes the condition inside the bottom of the tank looking thru the fuel pump hole

They like to only show the filler that usually looks Good  compared to the bottom

You will also have to expect some dents

I had the same problem you had and was very lucky to find a very good tank for $300 USD

The used replacement had a few small dents ,was dusty and had some dead bugs in it :classic_rolleyes:

IMG_5826.JPG.jpg

Fabreezai

Thanks DR and Mr for the replies. Gonna try and clean up this tank this weekend, been doing a bunch of research on it. Let you know how that goes.

happy 4th!!