Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Brucifer1150

Handlebar Switch Wiring

Recommended Posts

Brucifer1150

I was going to try and keep all the insanity to my Moneypit thread, but this might help someone else out down the road.

 

'02 1150RT. Handlebar control switches are functional, but rough. Actually, 'Kill Switch' is broken off (horrible design IMO). Find a set of switches off an '03 in good shape and decent price. Clymer shows 7 wires for the left, 8+3 for the right. Front cowling is off, so easy-peasy, right?

This the the '02 side of things:
 

02Left.jpg

02Right.jpg

02Extra.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Brucifer1150

Here is the '03:

 

 

03Left.jpg

03Right.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Brucifer1150

Sorry about the multiple posts. Still need to figure out how to label each pic with text around it. Always seems to be ALL the words, then ALL the pictures....

 

Anyhoo.

 

The first set of pics is the '02 left side, followed by the right, then the bonus wiring.


First, there is a pin size difference between the years of the plugs: '02 Big-Pin and '03 Thin-Pin. Didn't pay attention to this when purchasing the switches.

Left side is fairly straight-forward, right side is a bit hard to tell with bad pic (shadows), but there are two sets of 'jumper' wires going back into the plug.

 

Second set is of the '03 switches (left, then right).

Does the '02 have second sets of hot wires and grounds? I think I can get new, matching plugs and connectors to make the '03 compatible, but will I have to create new jumpers/splices to work with the '02 system?
Should I just wait for a good set of '02 switches (with Big-Pin connectors) and swap out at a later point in time?

 

I'm at the point of using the old switches at the moment. Taking the the front cowling off and an on will become old hat after a bit.

Share this post


Link to post
dirtrider
11 hours ago, Brucifer1150 said:

Sorry about the multiple posts. Still need to figure out how to label each pic with text around it. Always seems to be ALL the words, then ALL the pictures....

 

Anyhoo.

 

The first set of pics is the '02 left side, followed by the right, then the bonus wiring.


First, there is a pin size difference between the years of the plugs: '02 Big-Pin and '03 Thin-Pin. Didn't pay attention to this when purchasing the switches.

Left side is fairly straight-forward, right side is a bit hard to tell with bad pic (shadows), but there are two sets of 'jumper' wires going back into the plug.

 

Second set is of the '03 switches (left, then right).

Does the '02 have second sets of hot wires and grounds? I think I can get new, matching plugs and connectors to make the '03 compatible, but will I have to create new jumpers/splices to work with the '02 system?
Should I just wait for a good set of '02 switches (with Big-Pin connectors) and swap out at a later point in time?

 

I'm at the point of using the old switches at the moment. Taking the the front cowling off and an on will become old hat after a bit.

Morning  Brucifer1150

 

The easy thing (and correct thing) to do  is to just buy the correct switches for your motorcycle. 

 

The second best thing to do is to buy an old scrap wire harness then cut the switch connectors off including about 10" of wire pigtail wire. Then splice those into your existing wire harness (that allows both type of switches to be used)

 

The third (and to me the worst) is to try adapting your existing wire harness  to the new (incorrect) switches. This will make future troubleshooting a mess, make life difficult for a future owner trying to replace switches, and really complicate an already complicated wiring  system.

 

If you REALLY / REALLY /  REALLY  want to  re-pin your motorcycle wire harness to fit the new switches then it can be done with a good wire diagram(s) & a multi-meter to verify switch function & pin position. I can probably help you with this but it will take a number of posts  some slow verification of circuit function. 

 

I do have some official BMW wiring diagrams but they don't always show those subtle changes encountered with things like a switch update change during a model run. We can probably figure it out but not without some work & research. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Brucifer1150
22 hours ago, dirtrider said:

Morning  Brucifer1150

 

The easy thing (and correct thing) to do  is to just buy the correct switches for your motorcycle. 

 

The second best thing to do is to buy an old scrap wire harness then cut the switch connectors off including about 10" of wire pigtail wire. Then splice those into your existing wire harness (that allows both type of switches to be used)

 

The third (and to me the worst) is to try adapting your existing wire harness  to the new (incorrect) switches. This will make future troubleshooting a mess, make life difficult for a future owner trying to replace switches, and really complicate an already complicated wiring  system.

 

If you REALLY / REALLY /  REALLY  want to  re-pin your motorcycle wire harness to fit the new switches then it can be done with a good wire diagram(s) & a multi-meter to verify switch function & pin position. I can probably help you with this but it will take a number of posts  some slow verification of circuit function. 

 

I do have some official BMW wiring diagrams but they don't always show those subtle changes encountered with things like a switch update change during a model run. We can probably figure it out but not without some work & research. 

 

 

 

Morning DR

 

Well, monkeybutts.

 

I ordered the switches at the same time as I ordered the fairing cowling (before I took the old one off). Didn't seem like a bad price for new-looking switches versus the ones I had. The Clymer's manual made it look so simple. I guess I'll button it back up and keep a look out for the Big-Pin connectors. I should be able to relist them on EBay whenever I get around to listing my Harley manuals. I was looking more at the second option, but with just getting new connectors and pins to go on the end of the new switches, but with the wide discrepancy with the wire counts (and bonus wiring!), that ain't gonna happen. I guess some German engineer ate his schnitzengruben some late-2002 morning and decided that he would eliminate as many wires from the handlebars as possible (though it does make you wonder why there are 4 green wires in the right side switch harness on the '02) .

 

Thanks again.

Share this post


Link to post
Brucifer1150

Morning DR

 

One more thing: are the switches for the 1150 line about the same? Meaning that that a GS or R switch would work on my RT (as long as it's a Big-Pin connection).

Share this post


Link to post
dirtrider
28 minutes ago, Brucifer1150 said:

Morning DR

 

One more thing: are the switches for the 1150 line about the same? Meaning that that a GS or R switch would work on my RT (as long as it's a Big-Pin connection).

Morning  Brucifer1150

 

I don't know, I do show some different part numbers for some of the switches. Then you have the heated grip thing as R/H heated grip switch pods have some extra wiring. Then you have the pre/post 2003 pinout thing. 

 

About the best I can tell you is, to FIRST find the switches, then do the research on if THOSE specific switches will work before you buy them.  

 

You might also check with some of the major used BMW motorcycle parts distributors to see  what they list. If they list a used switch that says fits pre 2003, RT, R, GS with heated grips then that is a pretty good indication that an R switch will fit a pre 2003  RT heated grip motorcycle. Caution: don't use E-Bay listings as in a LOT of cases those are wrong (they just want  to sell the darn things so some sellers are not real careful in using correct listings)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...