IGNORED

Sore Palms

tonyurban

tonyurban

I just acquired a 95 R1100RS and I noticed something strange.... my palms were very sore after riding for about 20 miles. I rode a few days ago and my palms were sore within about 5 miles. I noticed that the BMW grips can be adjusted and I thought maybe I need to push them "out" farther so they are more square with my shoulders.

Any other thoughts?

Tony,

Welcome to the board. I have a suspicion you're placing way too much weight on the bars (irrespective of their position, albeit that may contribute). What sort of bike were you riding prior to the RS?

I would recommend you read this fine write up on Master Yoda's Riding Position before making to many further adjustments.

Regards,

Mike O

R4ND0M_AX3

Put almost zero weight on your palms. Search for Master Yoda Riding Position.

Sit on the bike and lift your hands about a half an inch above the grips. Feel all of those other muscles? Use those instead. But read the MYRP for more details.

EDIT: Damn. I was too slow on this and didn't even post a link.

tonyurban

Yes, that's entirely possible given the different riding position from my '00 V-Star. Anything is possible...

Thanks for the link... I'll give it a read.

Tony

tonyurban

I read that article... very informative. I took my bike out for a ride last night and practiced. It made a big difference. It's a fight to overcome my tendency to shift my weight forward and lean on the bars. But it reduced my soreness considerably. It's just going to take time to learn that as an "automatic" skill.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Tony

I put foam padded handles on the throttle side. Rumor has it, the Boxers vibrate (just a rumor).

I have heated grips so I had to use both on just one side. Used contact cement and it works for me.

I don't remember where I got them. Maybe that might answer your next question. Welcome aboard.

I suppose it's the prurient in me (or the juvenile) but each time I see the subject of this post I snicker like a grade schooler in health class. Sorry, I'll go sit down now. dopeslap.gif

I suppose it's the prurient in me (or the juvenile) but each time I see the subject of this post I snicker like a grade schooler in health class. Sorry, I'll go sit down now. dopeslap.gif

And take those hands out of your pocket, young man!!!!

Riding position is certainly a better answer, but Olympia makes gloves with a gel insert in the palms and I used them for awhile with good result.

Beemeroil

After riding the bike for a while you body will automatically build strength (muscle)and this complaint will disappear. In fact I would ride the bike some 3000 to 5000 miles before I changed anything or added any goodies. Lot cheaper this way.

Congrats on the bike.

I moved from a Honda Shadow to an RS, and have had the same experience with learning to change riding position. It's all about posture, with the right posture I find my hands have no need to rest hard on the grips, and of course they immediately feel better. Since working on posture I've found I feel noticably more in-control, guiding the bike more with with legs, torso and shoulders than with fists and tush.

Archived