IGNORED

Exhaust valve seized

AndyS

Today I had a look at my seized exhaust butterfly valve. After disconnecting the cables, careful application of penetrating fluid laden with MOS2 and working the butterfly left and right, I finally got it to move. Now, never having played with a new one of these valves, I have no idea on how freely the butterfly shaft rotates. Have any of you folk got any experience of a new one?

Thanks

Hi Boxflyer.

Thanks for that. I am not sure how I am going to free it up. It is at least moving  now...just net free enough (from your description) ☹️ 

Well, it is now moving really easily. After soaking it (taking great care not to get any lube down onto the cat), I got it to move using some long snipe nose pliers across the spindle and the butterfly. I disconnected the servo cables to the valve and fitted a pair of bicycle gear cables to the drive flange. Then continued to work the butterfly open an closed whilst lubing the shaft. It now totally springs open.Success!

Andy...when yours was stuck did you notice any performance issues?  How did you know it was stuck?  

Thanks

I couldn’t tell the difference.

I’d heard of other folk with this problem. When I had the exhaust off for a tyre change, I tried to cycle the valve, by switching the ignition on and off. The valve just wouldn’t budge. It was locked solid in the open position.

Now it’s working, I may leaving the servo cables off and jury rig a hand operated wire to play around while I’m riding.