IGNORED

2006 RT ABS rear servo won't work

laxman

Hi,

Bought an '06 RT with 23k miles. Previous owner installed a brand new abs unit a couple years ago.   Currently bleeding the system, noticed the rear servo won't pump when the pedal is pressed. Front servo works. Would appreciate any leads. Thanks. 

2 hours ago, laxman said:

Hi,

Bought an '06 RT with 23k miles. Previous owner installed a brand new abs unit a couple years ago.   Currently bleeding the system, noticed the rear servo won't pump when the pedal is pressed. Front servo works. Would appreciate any leads. Thanks. 

Afternoon laxman

I presume that your 2006 has the early I-ABS braking system & not the later I-ABS gen2 system?

If your 2006 1200RT has the I-ABS (twin servo system) then try putting the bike on the center stand, then turning the key on, THEN try the rear brake pedal while spinning the rear wheel. 

The 1200RT  (I-ABS) system had a power saving feature  that shut the rear brake servo off with bike sitting still unless the rear pedal was really pushed hard or the bike started to roll.   

Thanks for the info Dirtrider. I spun the rear tire, then pressed the foot brake. Nothing. Not sure what  ABS version it is. Inspite of no power, I continued to bleed the module. Had a good brake fluid flow on all of the bleeders. However no dice on the rear servo. Btw, when I initially 911 scanned the bike, the fault code  24972 (pressure in rear wheel too high) comes up. Rear wheel spins though. 

20200625_183159.jpg

20200625_183028.jpg

26 minutes ago, laxman said:

Thanks for the info Dirtrider. I spun the rear tire, then pressed the foot brake. Nothing. Not sure what  ABS version it is. Inspite of no power, I continued to bleed the module. Had a good brake fluid flow on all of the bleeders. However no dice on the rear servo. Btw, when I initially 911 scanned the bike, the fault code  24972 (pressure in rear wheel too high) comes up. Rear wheel spins though. 

Morning  laxman

OK, you have the early (pre-ABS gen2) system), that should run the rear servo from the rear brake pedal. 

No way to know for sure but it sure is pointing to a failed rear internal pressure sensor (inside the ABS module). That sensor is not available to buy & non user replicable.

Module Master was starting to repair those I-ABS modules (I think anyhow).

My suggestion to you is to call Module Master (1-208-892-0764)  & talk with them (they are very helpful) have that failure code handy as that will probably help them answer your questions. 

As an alternative, a German company produces a "skeleton" unit that is coded to your bike by them. It permits the removal of the entire unit, has the connections for all brake lines and the coded electronic package keeps the bike thinking that all is well with the ABS so you don't get the yello/red warning triangle and various icons on the lcd. In case Module Masters haven't finished developing the fix for our units.

Hi,

Thank you for all your inputs. Hati, would you have the contact info for this german supplier?  Problem with this i-ABS design is there are no guarantees that even a new one will not suffer the same fate. 

Here you go: https://shop.rhelectronics.de/shop/produkt/motorcycle/new-equipment-en/rh-second-life-kit-can-2/?lang=en

Sorry, had no time to look for it in the morning when I posted about the option, was running late for work. Personally I will go for this when my unit packs it instead of doing a "servoechtomy" because I don't want to remove the warning triangles from, well, warning me. This is the cheap option, rip out ABS, reconnect lines, tape up the triangle. Of course then a real issue needing attention via the warning triangle may go unnoticed... Each to his own I guess.

One thing I forgot to mention is the speedo doesn't work. Would a defective abs (fault 24972) cause that problem or it is a separate issue? 

16 minutes ago, laxman said:

One thing I forgot to mention is the speedo doesn't work. Would a defective abs (fault 24972) cause that problem or it is a separate issue? 

Morning laxman

It could as the speed input is conditioned by the ABS module electronics then sent on to the dash module over the CAN (CanBus).

Give Module Master  a call as they probably have the answer.