IGNORED

Hitch mount carrier for RT

Gage

Traveling this summer and wanting to take the bike. Looking at either a cargo trailer or hitch mount receiver.

i use a light duty for my enduro ktm but I’d be hesitant to put the rt up there.

anyone have good luck with one of these?

szurszewski

I’d not want to put an RT on a single mount rear carrier - maybe a frame mounted, multi point rack of some kind. Heavier and wider than dirt/enduro bikes, which means the rail for them or has to be further away from the vehicle creating a longer lever to the hitch. 

A simple 4x8 flat trailer though would work well. 

Gage...welcome to the forum.  I don't know of any mount that would work.  I looked at that many years ago.  From memory most of those mounts are limited to 500lbs or less.  Your RT will be north of 600lbs.  As mentioned a trailer is best but know that isn't always the answer. UHaul does have some motorcycle trailers you can rent pretty cheap, but if you are going to do this often some form a of trailer is the answer.  Kendon is popular and there are many others if you google motorcycle trailers.

You didn't mention what the tow vehicle will be? 

Check the products these guys have:    https://www.cruiserlifts.com/

I run one of these on the motorhome. RT does fine. Neighbor had the same one and his Gold Wing worked fine on it. 

Their swivel wheel products are very interesting.....

It would be a really bad idea to try to carry an RT on that type of carrier.  I once followed a guy who had a full dress Harley on one, but all I could think about was metal fatigue doing its thing with every bump in the road.  

No way I would use just a hitch carrier, it would have to have some seriously engineered bracing.

For me, a trailer would be the way to go. Get a cargo trailer, and you can haul even more cra., er, stuff.

Thanks for all the replies - I have a utility trailer but was hoping to simplify the trip a bit. For security I think I’ll look for an enclosed cargo trailer.

Another nice thing about an enclosed cargo trailer is that your motorcycle does not take a beating from all the schmutz that gets kicked up by your tires, doesn't take a beating from bad weather.