IGNORED

Where can I buy OEM fairing screws for an R1100RT

Miguel!

I'm sure this questions has been asked before but the search function brings up LOTS of threads with phrase "fairing screws". Anyone know where I can get the OEM screws from someplace other than the dealer, who charge $3.50 - $4.00, each. I do not want the after-market stainless steel screws. 

Thanks. Miguel

Miguel- I know there are several places on ebay that sell the stainless screw kits, but I wanted black screws for the dashboard. I tried painting them which worked for about 2 months. On ebay i did find a place selling black (or blue or green..) anodized screw kits (10mm, 1.25 maybe? Go to Ace hardware to make sure on the size). The kit had enough for the dashboard except the long ones st the bottom. they have held up well. So you might need 2 or 3 kits. I think they came with little black washers too. I just searched 10mm screws on  ebay. Dave

8 hours ago, Miguel! said:

I'm sure this questions has been asked before but the search function brings up LOTS of threads with phrase "fairing screws". Anyone know where I can get the OEM screws from someplace other than the dealer, who charge $3.50 - $4.00, each. I do not want the after-market stainless steel screws. 

Thanks. Miguel

Morning  Miguel!

I don't blame you for not wanting after-market stainless steel screws, most of those have cheap cut threads not the OEM rolled threads so they gall easily. Also, most after-market stainless steel screws do not have the tapered tips of the OEM screws so they cross-thread easier. 

If you search on E-Bay you can sometimes find used screws that came out of a parted BMW, just get good pictures as some are a mix of OEM & aftermarket replacement as well black mixed with who knows what. (but price is usually right)

Just be careful on E-Bay as most (kits)  are aftermarket (Chinese import) non OEM kits. You might have to look a few times on E-Bay to find OEM black screws.    

4 hours ago, dirtrider said:

Morning  Miguel!

I don't blame you for not wanting after-market stainless steel screws, most of those have cheap cut threads not the OEM rolled threads so they gall easily. Also, most after-market stainless steel screws do not have the tapered tips of the OEM screws so they cross-thread easier. 

If you search on E-Bay you can sometimes find used screws that came out of a parted BMW, just get good pictures as some are a mix of OEM & aftermarket replacement as well black mixed with who knows what. (but price is usually right)

Just be careful on E-Bay as most (kits)  are aftermarket (Chinese import) non OEM kits. You might have to look a few times on E-Bay to find OEM black screws.    

Thx DR. I've read about how easy it is to cross thread the the insert with non tapered screws and how much of a PITA it is to repair the insert that I'll only use  the oem screws, even at $4 each. 

I've been watching eBay but haven't seen any come up so thought I'd check in here. I'll keep watching. 

Cheers Miguel 

3 hours ago, 9Mary7 said:

How many do you need? I'll have to look through my spares but I think I have some used OEM fairing screws.

Thx 9Mary7. I just need a couple, either 16 or 20mm will work. Let me know if you have  any. Thx!! 

Miguel 

3 hours ago, PAS said:

I highly recommend getting the tapered screws!  Do you know there are a few different sizes needed!

R1100RT screw sizes.jpg

Thx PAS.  I did know there were a few different sizes. I appreciate the diagram. I printed it off and stuck it in my spares box for future reference. 

Miguel 

It is easy to hand grind a taper on the tip of any existing screw.  Clamp an appropriate nut crosswise tightly in a vise grip  feed the screw through with an appropriate key and grind away.  Use the key to control the rotation.  Deburr with a wire wheel.

8 hours ago, nrp said:

It is easy to hand grind a taper on the tip of any existing screw.  Clamp an appropriate nut crosswise tightly in a vise grip  feed the screw through with an appropriate key and grind away.  Use the key to control the rotation.  Deburr with a wire wheel.

Thanks but that's much more work than I want to do. If necessary, I'd order a couple from the dealer for $4 each. But 9mary7 is graciously sending me a couple so problem solved. 

Just a note on the OEM screws. I believe they are aluminum or some other soft alloy. Some riders have chosen to go with aftermarket stainless steel screw sets. Unfortunately, some riders have found they cross threading the inserts they screw into. Some of those can be a real PITA to fix if you cross thread them so most experienced mechanics recommend just using the OEM screws. YMMV.

Best

Miguel 

7 hours ago, Miguel! said:

Thanks but that's much more work than I want to do. If necessary, I'd order a couple from the dealer for $4 each. But 9mary7 is graciously sending me a couple so problem solved. 

Just a note on the OEM screws. I believe they are aluminum or some other soft alloy. Some riders have chosen to go with aftermarket stainless steel screw sets. Unfortunately, some riders have found they cross threading the inserts they screw into. Some of those can be a real PITA to fix if you cross thread them so most experienced mechanics recommend just using the OEM screws. YMMV.

Best

Miguel 

No, those OEM screws are stainless steel. Some are coated with a black finish. 

3 hours ago, AndyS said:

No, those OEM screws are stainless steel. Some are coated with a black finish. 

That is correct, I polished some of mine that were on the tank since the black was looking rough.

• 1 month later...

True, the tapered screws are impossible to find. I’ve removed the panels many times and many of the hex heads have gotten rounded and no longer useful.  I purchased a set of 5m screws in several lengths and anodized black.  No, not tapered but when starting out I just hand start it gently and have not had any problems cross threading. Key is hand starting counterclockwise till you feel it hit the beginning of the thread and gently start clockwise.   I guess you can go thru the process of grinding the ends to a taper. 

3 hours ago, beemer chuck said:

I have used this company to get fairing screws in bulk. 
https://www.belmetric.com/

Thanks Chuck. Looks like a very useful site. I looked but didn't find tapered tip bolts. Did I just miss them or do you use something else altogether. 

Miguel