IGNORED

Turn rear turn signals into brake lite

BeemerBerg

My wife commented that the brake lites on my 2016 RTW are not very bright. (She follows behind me on her Canam Spyder). Any recommendations for turning turn signal lights into running/brake/turn signal LEDs? I already have the Skene P3's on the license plate holder, but looking to replace the stock LED's with something better.

Thanks

My experience with Skenes is that the brightness declines quickly off-axis. So make sure they shine parallel to the road.

You can buy a second set of lights from Skene and mount them, the Skene controller will drive them no problem. I found a source for a Whelan LIN-3 and mounted it, these are the eye-poppingly bright cop lights. One is plenty, two will burn out the retinas of whoever is following. 

Whelan makes a TIR-3 and a LIN-3 (and others), after agonizing over the spec sheets I chose the LIN-3 because it's somewhat less directional (better off-axis) than the TIR-3. The downside is that the LIN-3 is only suitable for horizontal mounting whereas the TIR-3 has models for both horizontal and vertical mounting.

Clearwater Billie Brake Light:

https://www.clearwaterlights.com/products/billie-brake-light?variant=6087900677  

You'll need to click on the "Canopener" version for $299.00.  Expensive for a brake light, but it's bright as hell, flashes upon deceleration from engine braking (without rear or front brake levers being used) and can be made to flash with your front brake lever if you see somebody coming up on you too fast in your rear view mirror.  It's adjustable too and unlike a top box LED strip, it stays on your bike if the top box is removed.  

I can't begin to describe how much visibility this light offers.  

• Like 1

HERE is another product to choose from (Whelen).   I saw a motor cop, about a mile ahead of me, use his brakes and it got my attention.  They were programmed to flash a few time then go solid.  I started to move over thinking he turned on the police lights but it was only his brakes.   I researched what it was and thought about getting one for my RT, but I settled for the OEM brake light for the topcase, which is LED (and plug-n-play install.)