IGNORED

New GT 750 miles Impressions and Comments - long

BMKrider

I've posted this on the K Bike site but for those who may not visit there:

Well I’ve had my new GT for some 3 weeks now and done some 750 miles on it, mostly two up and plan to take it in for its first service tomorrow and so I thought I’d post my initial impressions about my new ride and other general comments.

Firstly some background. I’ve previously owned a K1100RS and K1200RS (oval mirrors) and do most of my riding with a pillion at weekends and also during 1-3 week tours around Europe with full luggage etc. I’ve tried the BMW twins but really like a smooth bike with 4 cyls. For the most part here I’ve described my impressions based against the K1200RS.

The GT is the UK SE version Dark Graphite Grey which includes : Heated grips, on-board computer, ESA, seat heating, xenon headlamp, cruise control. I’ve also had the BMW alarm fitted

After the first 100 miles or so I’ve set the bars to the low point and the seat to the low setting as well. This feels very like the settings I had on my K12RS. The bars in their highest position with the seat also set on high felt nearly like the riding position of the R12RT. Whilst on the subject of seats I find the riders seat VERY firm and hope it will break in soon otherwise I’m going to find long days in the saddle painful. On the other hand my wife finds the rear seat more comfortable than the Sargent seat we had on the RS? She also loves the heated seats but has “complained” that on the high setting the seat cooks her bottom if left on for too long.

Starting from the front of the bike, the front suspension is a real improvement on the RS, soaking up the bumps with less hassle and causing less jarring to the bars. I’ve also noticed that it corners far easier than the RS, sometimes taking me by surprise and having to adjust my line mid corner. Just drop the bike into the bend and off you go. No “bullying” the bike into the bend and no real need to pick it up out of the bend like I had to do on occasions with the RS. Changes course during this manoeuvre cause no real anxiety. I put this down to the new front fork arrangement and probably the new engine and chassis set-up. More informed opinion may well have better and more precise data and words of wisdom.

I’ve removed both side panel from the bike to fit various bits and pieces, a much easier and less time consuming job than the RS. Just remove 10 (I seem to remember) torx screws, all stainless, and off they come. No worrying about removing the nose cone or inaccessible screws. The battery is also similarly easy to get at in a compartment in front of the filler cap, two torx screws.

The “glove box” in the left side fairing is a real asset for storing a mobile phone, iPod, bike to bike radio etc. as well as other bits and pieces. I’ve run my Autocom cables into there for this purpose and also installed a further power point for charging said batteries etc.

The clocks on the instrument panel are fine and fulfil their function. The LCD panel is very informative about mileage, average fuel consumption, temp etc as well as the state of the heating equipment (seats, grips etc) however, in direct sun light it is extremely difficult to read - annoying to say the least. As mentioned by most riders now the mirrors are FANTASTIC with proper rearward views from either mirror. The screen (I have the standard one) is fine for fair weather touring for me with the wind either on my chest or on the top of my helmet if I sit bolt up right depending on the screen setting. I may consider a taller screen for winter riding.

Moving on to the mechanics and performance of the bike I find the engine silky smooth as expected of the BMW 4 cyl engines with loads of creamy power and boot loads of torque. Gear changing becomes optional rather than a necessity when cornering or overtaking. Lazy I know but … The engine mapping I’m finding a little rough at low revs around town with some surging experienced but hope these will smooth out as the engine is broken in. Gear changing at the moment is a noisy affair and something I plan to mention tomorrow before they do the service. When cold I get the normal BMW clunk into first gear but this seems to get worse as the oils and engine warms up? This is replicated in 2nd and 3rd gears. I’m also having difficulties with smooth changes something my wife has commented on as she says she wasn’t really conscious of at all on the RS. I’m practising real hard at this but find it a little annoying. Once again this may be a break in issue? The brakes are great with far more real feel than the RS and although I’ve not yet practised with the ABS system I’m willing to bet I won’t find it wanting.

The wheels are straight from the RT and shod with Z6’s. Not my favourite but they’ll do until it’s time to replace them with BT020’s. The front wheel has the valve handily placed for easy checking and inflation on one of the wheel spokes – nice touch, shame about the rear! This is masked by both the rear disc brake and the silencer on the other side and I’ve had to purchase a new tyre gauge to check pressures and a right angle screw on valve extender to allow for easy inflation. To remove the rear wheel you also have to swing the silencer out of the way. Not quite as convenient as the RS.

Getting the Bike onto the centre stand requires quite a lot of downward pressure on the stand and I really miss the handy grab rail from the RS to ease this task but I guess it’s just a matter of mastering a new technique.

I’ve managed to find storage space under the seats for the normal type of stuff, straps, gaffer and electrical tape, spare bulbs etc as well as a convenient place to mount the Autocom. Not enough space, I’ve found anyway, for waterproofs though but no big deal.

I’ve mounted a 46ltr Givi on top of the BMW rear rack using the standard Givi rear plate for the RT. Fits well as both the RT and GT racks are identical.

In conclusion, I’m very pleased with the performance and fit of the bike for my and my pillions needs and for the purpose I bought it and use it for. In addition to the above two up riding I’ve done about 150 miles solo and find it plenty quick enough for me and a far better handling bike than I’ll ever honestly need. My minor, at this stage, niggles are around the transmition clunks, the clutch and the riders seat. The seat can eventually be solved if need be by after market equipment. The clutch by practise? The clunk……………by ignoring it?

Thanks...

Would you say the pillion riding hieght is about the same as the R1200RT....my SO is only 4'10" and the RT is a little high...she has to work to get on and off with the large trunk...

Whip

FWIW- The tranny on my S clunks a bit as well, but has gotten better w/ miles. The 3k oil change helped alot. It also helps to preload the shifter a bit. I also adjusted the shift lever to the proper height for my boots, and that seemed to help as well.

Thanks...

Would you say the pillion riding hieght is about the same as the R1200RT....my SO is only 4'10" and the RT is a little high...she has to work to get on and off with the large trunk...

Whip

Probably about the same. I also have a rear box (trunk). My wife tends to mount from the left putting left foot on the pillion peg and then stepping THROUGH the bike rather than trying to throw her leg OVER the bike and rear box.

Does this help?

Thanks...

Whip

Probably about the same. I also have a rear box (trunk). My wife tends to mount from the left putting left foot on the pillion peg and then stepping THROUGH the bike rather than trying to throw her leg OVER the bike and rear box.

Does this help?

Yes...and Thanks

Whip

Thanks for the write up Graham, now what was once not considered, will be. Guess I'll have to test ride one when available! Like I wasn't going to anyway!

Archived