IGNORED

Garmin Nav 6 support

BamaJohn

Issues and kudos on Garmin Nav 6.....  This afternoon I'll receive my 3rd Nav 6 from Garmin.  The known issue of it going haywire and acting erratically is the culprit, and it happened to 2 previous units on my 2017 R1200RT.  I called Garmin Monday morning and, after a couple of questions, they mailed a new one that afternoon and I put the goofy one on the UPS truck at 4pm to complete the exchange.  The new one is supposed to arrive today, & the cost to me?  Zero.    It's a shame that a $1000 GPS has problems, but at least Garmin support handles it this well...not always the case these days.

• Like 3

Mine did the same thing, went to the dealer, and all it took was a windex cleaning.

Seems oil from your fingers cause the sensitivity to do stupid things.  And I felt stupid for not attempting to clean the screen.  I had reset the thing, reloaded maps, walked around outside it worked fine, drove in the truck with it on, it did fine but as soon as I put it on the bike and rode a bit, I was no longer on the road I was on, the zoom would zoom and it just did all around weird stuff.  I really thought it was a bike connection thing, but after the windex cleaning, hasn't happened again and that's been about three months ago.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, BamaJohn said:

Issues and kudos on Garmin Nav 6.....  This afternoon I'll receive my 3rd Nav 6 from Garmin.  The known issue of it going haywire and acting erratically is the culprit, and it happened to 2 previous units on my 2017 R1200RT.  I called Garmin Monday morning and, after a couple of questions, they mailed a new one that afternoon and I put the goofy one on the UPS truck at 4pm to complete the exchange.  The new one is supposed to arrive today, & the cost to me?  Zero.    It's a shame that a $1000 GPS has problems, but at least Garmin support handles it this well...not always the case these days.

Morning BamaJohn

Are you using screen protector (stick on type)? If so those can cause a GPS to do some very strange things when the screen gets hot in the sun.  It seems the screen protector expands in the heat then puts pressure on the touch screen in different places. 

18 hours ago, dirtrider said:

Morning BamaJohn

Are you using screen protector (stick on type)? If so those can cause a GPS to do some very strange things when the screen gets hot in the sun.  It seems the screen protector expands in the heat then puts pressure on the touch screen in different places. 

No, but thanks for the info in case others are using it.

19 hours ago, Rougarou said:

Mine did the same thing, went to the dealer, and all it took was a windex cleaning.

Seems oil from your fingers cause the sensitivity to do stupid things.  And I felt stupid for not attempting to clean the screen.  I had reset the thing, reloaded maps, walked around outside it worked fine, drove in the truck with it on, it did fine but as soon as I put it on the bike and rode a bit, I was no longer on the road I was on, the zoom would zoom and it just did all around weird stuff.  I really thought it was a bike connection thing, but after the windex cleaning, hasn't happened again and that's been about three months ago.

Thanks Richard:  I'll add that to my routine just in case...can't hurt to try.

Bill_Walker

Knock on wood, but the only issue I've had with mine is that even when on the bike, it won't power up for a while if its internal battery is dead.