IGNORED

Autocom Super Pro & FRS Install Location Suggestions on R1250RT?

Claudio

A common (and ideal) mounting location for the larger Super Pro AVI is under the driver or passenger's seat, however, there doesn't seem to be much space in either location on a fully loaded bike.

As shiftcam owners discovered, the under-the-seat anatomy of the R1250RT is indeed different from the R1200  so there is no real room under the driver's seat (a common suggestion for the R1200).  In my case a large audio module also sits like a small castle under the passenger seat leaving very little room.

Any suggestions on a mounting point for the super pro plus an FRS bike-to-bike unit?

The glove box would place the unit likely too far for a convenient location for the leads and would likely involve drilling to run cables (not something I want to do).

John Bentall

My Super Pro Automatic was installed on the left hand side of the bike on the inside of one of the side panels - and it is a very tight fit. It was mounted with all the 3.5mm sockets pointing downward so that water cannot drip into the sockets - it just falls off the cables. All the input plugs were cable-tied to the sockets round the perimeter of the unit before applying the adhesive Velcro. This is to prevent any movement and subsequent loosening of the internal contacts in the sockets which could later cause audio crackle. 

Oh - and the person doing the install was an ex-Autocom employee, so probably OTT.  The old AVi was installed horizontally in the tail of my 2005RT. 

I do have an FRS radio - but none of my riding buddies do. So i have not solved that issue yet (that trip with FRS radios was cancelled by the Covid thing).

Let us know how you get on.

John

• Like 1
On 6/17/2020 at 3:23 PM, TJRL said:

I think there is room to the left side of the frame under the driver's seat, same as on the 2014 RTs.

Thanks for the great tips.

Unfortunately, the R1250 doesn't have any room directly under the driver's seat (unless you mean the same as John noted, under a panel on the left side of the bike)...that's an area I hadn't looked closely at.

The FRS radio will be the toughest to stealth in so I may opt for what I do on our GS bikes.....  Autocom on-board, FRS in the tank bag and plugged into the Autocom with the help of an extra lead extension.

They really changed up that part of the bike, even the battery is no longer accessible under the seat on the R1250) and I already have a Denali Cansmart unit in the tail so its a tricky one.

I'll post some pics of my final install once I get to it this weekend.

"Unfortunately, the R1250 doesn't have any room directly under the driver's seat (unless you mean the same as John noted, under a panel on the left side of the bike)...that's an area I hadn't looked closely at."

Yes that is the space I was trying to describe (but clearly failed!). It is a tight fit as John noted but an Autocom will fit there. 

As it happens there is also some space directly under the drivers seat,  just enough to fit a "fully loaded" PDM60 even on the low seat setting. But again a tight fit that needs some careful routing of the various cables.

Both the water cooled R1200RTs & R1250RTs have minimal space under the seats and fitting things in takes a lot of planning, espcially if you ahve the BMW alarm and audio fitted. But I have found you can get a;  PDM60, dashcam DRV, Autocom,  Clearwater CANopener and VisiTec controllers in there if you really try.

Have fun!!  

I was able to fit an Autocom Super Pro, Bluetooth dongle for Autocom, and a Kenwood FRS radio (with a blade antenna) in the little side "pockets" of the fairing adjacent to the dirver's seat.

The right hand side of the bike requires some dismantling to allow the component to be inserted but is not a huge undertaking. Just loosen things up, temporarily untether the wiring loom and you can insert something the size of that big FRS radio.

All of my devices are powered from a Denali CanSmart controller (aka Hex EZ Can) which sits in the tail of the bike.  In my case the FRS radio cannot be easily accessed for volume adjustment but I wanted the more accessible side to house the autocom so I could adjust volume..etc.

IMG_3927.jpg

IMG_3928.jpg

IMG_3930.JPG

IMG_3933.jpg

IMG_3935.jpg

• Like 1