IGNORED

Garmin North America Map Update - 6/15/2020 - Ver. 2021.10

ExGMan

Micheal - You're right. I looked back and 2021.10 was posted on 2/20. I updated back then, and wonder why they'd do it again?

13 hours ago, ExGMan said:

Micheal - You're right. I looked back and 2021.10 was posted on 2/20. I updated back then, and wonder why they'd do it again?

Morning ExGMan

It might be as simple as all your current 2021.10 map is on the SD card.

I have 5 Garmin GPS devices (2) for on-road & (3) for off-road), on 2 of my GPS units I have all the 2021.1 mapping on the SD card (no 2021.1 on the main GPS drive) & both of those show a new 2021.1 map available every time they see (or have access to) Garmin Express.

I haven't tracked it down as it isn't a priority but my belief is that if Garmin Express doesn't see the current 2021.1map  PID & FID info on the main GPS drive  it then thinks that you need an update. 

I'm sorry I wasted my time on this update. I already had the 2021.10 map from back in February. Garmin Express (Windows) updated itself without issue. Installing the "new" 2021.10 map to my two computers (desktop and travel netbook) for Basecamp forced me to accept new versions of Basecamp and MapInstall. The problem I encountered on both computers is that Basecamp was downgraded from version 4.6.2 to version 4.4.6. Since 4.4.6 cannot use a 4.6.2 (or 4.7.x) database all my tracks and routes appeared to be lost. Fortunately, I keep backups of the older installation files and my database so nothing was lost but a few hours of time. Mapinstall was left at version 4.04, which is known to work, unlike the more recent version 4.20.  

I'd suggest skipping this "update" for now.

21 minutes ago, lkraus said:

I'm sorry I wasted my time on this update. I already had the 2021.10 map from back in February. Garmin Express (Windows) updated itself without issue. Installing the "new" 2021.10 map to my two computers (desktop and travel netbook) for Basecamp forced me to accept new versions of Basecamp and MapInstall. The problem I encountered on both computers is that Basecamp was downgraded from version 4.6.2 to version 4.4.6. Since 4.4.6 cannot use a 4.6.2 (or 4.7.x) database all my tracks and routes appeared to be lost. Fortunately, I keep backups of the older installation files and my database so nothing was lost but a few hours of time. Mapinstall was left at version 4.04, which is known to work, unlike the more recent version 4.20.  

I'd suggest skipping this "update" for now.

Evening Larry 

It shouldn't have done that, turn in a complaint to Garmin on what happened.

4.6.2 is the one that you want back,  BUT, the current BaseCamp is 4.7.2.   You don't want the current  4.7.2  as Garmin removed some functions on the newer versions for copyright infringements (or something like that) so you will have to go on the internet & specifically look for 4.6.2. (if you can't find it let me know as I have a 4.6.2 update install  file saved. (4.6.2 is the latest that has everything needed before later dumb-down versions)

This is assuming you have win 10 computer_____

Once you get the 4.6.2 re-installed find a way to turn off it's access to the internet (I can do it through my anti-virus) so can't tell you how to do it through computer settings. You can probably do it by creating a firewall rule though.  

If you don't turn off internet access it will try to update to 4.7.2 (or even later) & it will keep trying to auto-update to the latest version.

Mostly, I did not want anyone else to have that heart-skipping moment when they open BaseCamp and see that all their routes are missing. My 4.6 database was intact, but BC 4.4 could not "see" it.  I have backups anyway.

I've been refusing the attempts to "update" to 4.7.x for quite some time. I only agreed to the BaseCamp download today because (a) I was not given an option to opt-out, and (b) I have my 4.6.2 installation file backed up in three different locations. The 4.7x changes were mostly to remove functions that they did not want to support - like the Google Earth linkage. I expected I would be re-installing 4.6. to get rid of the newer 4.7, not a much older 4.4.6.

I sent Garmin an email through their support page to describe the issue - no response yet.

4 minutes ago, lkraus said:

Mostly, I did not want anyone else to have that heart-skipping moment when they open BaseCamp and see that all their routes are missing. My 4.6 database was intact, but BC 4.4 could not "see" it.  I have backups anyway.

I've been refusing the attempts to "update" to 4.7.x for quite some time. I only agreed to the BaseCamp download today because (a) I was not given an option to opt-out, and (b) I have my 4.6.2 installation file backed up in three different locations. The 4.7x changes were mostly to remove functions that they did not want to support - like the Google Earth linkage. I expected I would be re-installing 4.6. to get rid of the newer 4.7, not a much older 4.4.6.

I sent Garmin an email through their support page to describe the issue - no response yet.

Evening Larry

If you turn off, or disable, BaseCamp internet access you won't have to keep refusing update attempts. 

Was your computer a win 98 or win 7 update to win 10? If so BaseCamp might still see it as an old legacy system as I think  4.4.6.was about the last BaseCamp version that worked correctly on the legacy systems.

FWIW, I'm using Windows 10 Pro 64 bit on the desktop. It was new in 2018 so it has never used an older Windows version.  The netbook is Windows 10 Home 32 bit, upgraded from Win 8 to 8.1 and then to Win 10 as soon as it became available.  Express installed the older BaseCamp version on both computers.

In researching the trouble, I found that Windows  BaseCamp 4.7.2 and MapInstall 4.2.2 were both released June 11. Those are the versions I would have expected Express to install. Instead, I was left with BC 4.4.6 and MapInstall 4.0.1.   That is the MapInstall version I started with, so I don't know if it was overwritten by Express or if Express simply failed to change the program.

I'm about ready to accept the updates. I don't really use the old BC features very often and it looks like MI 4.2.2 fixes the problems that the earlier MI 4.20 had when installing third party maps.

EDIT: FWIW, the Google Earth link that worked a couple weeks ago in BC 4.6.2 does not work now.  The old command line /regserver  "fix" that once worked is no help. 

11 hours ago, lkraus said:

FWIW, I'm using Windows 10 Pro 64 bit on the desktop. It was new in 2018 so it has never used an older Windows version.  The netbook is Windows 10 Home 32 bit, upgraded from Win 8 to 8.1 and then to Win 10 as soon as it became available.  Express installed the older BaseCamp version on both computers.

In researching the trouble, I found that Windows  BaseCamp 4.7.2 and MapInstall 4.2.2 were both released June 11. Those are the versions I would have expected Express to install. Instead, I was left with BC 4.4.6 and MapInstall 4.0.1.   That is the MapInstall version I started with, so I don't know if it was overwritten by Express or if Express simply failed to change the program.

I'm about ready to accept the updates. I don't really use the old BC features very often and it looks like MI 4.2.2 fixes the problems that the earlier MI 4.20 had when installing third party maps.

EDIT: FWIW, the Google Earth link that worked a couple weeks ago in BC 4.6.2 does not work now.  The old command line /regserver  "fix" that once worked is no help. 

Morning Larry

I don't know if the latest BC 4.7.2  is different but on the older BC 4.7.x it didn't automatically remove the old map-install or update the registry. (a big screw up from Garmin)

On the older 4.7.x you had to  manually un-install map-install--  if it is in the Windows program list look for Garmin MapInstall 4.2. If it's there, run the uninstaller. (probably not there though)

If not in the Windows program list then  we would  Delete the   "C:\Program Files (x86)\Garmin\MapInstall" directory.

Then re-boot, then install the map-installer of choice. 

Possibly Garmin has fixed the latest map-install but a couple of years ago I rolled map-install back to 4.0.4 as 4.0.4  (last good working map-install) had always worked good with no errors & allowed proper combining & transfer of my 3rd party maps plus my homemade combined maps. 

Added: once/if you update to MI 4.2.2 then use it for while please post a follow up here on how it worked out.  Especially if it completely transfers the entire map not just map overview data in some areas.  (4.0.4  is still working out great for me  in the 'complete' map transfer areas)

Bill_Walker
On 6/15/2020 at 8:28 PM, ExGMan said:

Garmin Express on my Mac can't seem to remember what updates it has already installed when the devices are no longer connected, and frequently indicates that there are "new" updates which aren't new.  On four different Garmin devices.