IGNORED

clutch switch problems

jjpen

I just put a new clutch switch on my 2010rt and now it still will not start in gear.  I also have a new problem that the cruise won't engage.  Does anyone think or know if I might have the new switch installed upside down?

10 hours ago, jjpen said:

I just put a new clutch switch on my 2010rt and now it still will not start in gear.  I also have a new problem that the cruise won't engage.  Does anyone think or know if I might have the new switch installed upside down?

Morning  jjpen

I'm not sure that is possible but I suppose it could be.

Look on your old (removed) switch to see if the screw witness marks can tell you anything about how it was installed, then see if you new switch is installed the same way.

Otherwise you might use an ohmmeter to see if the new switch is working as you move the clutch lever.   

Dirtmerchant

There are two switches built into one assembly, one switch cancels the cruse control with the clutch lever and the other allows the bike to start in gear with the clutch lever pulled in. It is possible to install it upside down, I just took mine off the clutch lever assembly this morning and cleaned it up. For reference, MINE is installed with the painted numbers facing the floor. 

NOT THAT I AM RECOMMENDING YOU TRY THIS but with my bike on the center stand, I put my bike in first gear and pressed the switch to confirm the switch was working. This will end up very bad if it is on the side stand!! 

well I had fifty per cent chance of installing that switch correctly.  Guess what happened when I turned it upside down. I have cruise control and start in gear!!!  Thanks for the input.

• Like 1
Dirtmerchant

Good deal!  I've gotten in a habit of snapping a pic of everything with my phone before or while I'm taking it apart. I never know when something like a "senior moment" is going to come up...  :lol