IGNORED

Transmission Recall?

SourKraut

Just started shopping for a K1600B.  Never owned a BMW before but very impressed with what my research feedback has been so far......until just now....... on Cycle Trader I see a 2018 K1600B with a few thousand miles and warranty about to expire in 2 months.......description says,  " transmission recall completed."  What???   The bike I wanted has a POS transmission?  Can someone please elaborate on what this is about?  

13 minutes ago, SourKraut said:

Just started shopping for a K1600B.  Never owned a BMW before but very impressed with what my research feedback has been so far......until just now....... on Cycle Trader I see a 2018 K1600B with a few thousand miles and warranty about to expire in 2 months.......description says,  " transmission recall completed."  What???   The bike I wanted has a POS transmission?  Can someone please elaborate on what this is about?  

https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2019/10/21/bmw-k-1600-gt-glt-b-motorcycle-recall-transmission-issues/

• Like 1

Welcome!  

They recalled them from 2016 on can't remember the issue seems like might have been a shift fork issue.  My 2013 wasn't recalled. 

Not many K1600 owners over here but this is a much better group.  Head over to K1600fourm.com and you will find a long thread on the issue and plenty of info on the 1600B.

• Like 1

NHTSA has all the details here: https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2018/BMW/K1600B#recalls. Click the Recall tab, and then Associated Documents. 

Three instances of the transmission locking up, one accident with a minor injury.  Cause was incorrect heat treating of shifter forks by a supplier, which allowed two gears to be engaged at the same time. 

If the recall work has been done, you are good to go. 

spacewrench

Have there been any reports of what happened to the bikes that locked up (other than some crashes)?  I'd guess there's a fair amount of rotating mass when it happens; does it wreck the engine and/or transmission (even if you manage to skid to a stop safely)?