IGNORED

Wunderlich Central Locking for GPS - Quick Review and Install Tip

Claudio

I am still learning my way around the fairing removal and other aspects of my new 2019 R1250RT.  I got mine fully loaded with the Nav and central locking.

A few weeks ago, after looking for a way to secure the GPS (all of the mount-based solutions were ugly and cumbersome) Wunderlich released a central locking add-on for the R1250RT.

I installed it without too much difficulty (about 30 minutes as I was being cautious) and am very impressed with the design and capabilities.

How does it work?

It injects a metal tab when locked that prevents one from depressing the nav mount release. Pretty simple. Clean. No visible "cage" like other options.

Is it highly secure?

Moderately secure.  If someone is truly determined to pry out your GPS unit, they'll succeed because the normal Garmin mount is exposed (a thick screwdriver or mini pry bar and they've damaged the dash and got your device).  Other solutions generally block direct access to pry the mount and may be a bit more secure as a result.

Installation tip:

Add a slight bend (towards the left side of the bike ) to the metal tab that gets inserted into the quick release when locked.  This will ensure it doesn't jam on the plastic slider that depresses the release when not locked. Mine was jamming once in a while until I did this slight mod.

This is what the unit looks like. The metal prong is the one I added a very minor bend and sanded the edge on.  Initially it was catching on the plastic mount release slightly.  

If your bike has an XM receiver, the existing mount is removed and the receiver is adhered to the circular metal area

image.png.c5d929a111fcf57b40ec70b9b1df8c9e.png

• 2 weeks later...
Little_Brit

The Wunderlich device looks remarkably like the one developed and sold directly by Oldtimers in Slovenia which is where I got mine from, courtesy of the wonders of the internet.  As Claudio says fitting was really easy although it is worth spending some time watching YouTube videos of how to remove the BMW tupperware before you start!  

Not a cheap solution but really good quality and I love that it is completely hidden when installed.  I wouldn't leave the sat-nav on the bike overnight in a public place but at a fuel stop or coffee break I'm comfortable with the situation.  The original release button is just SO easy and tempting for the light fingered if they have any knowledge of the RT. 

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:  My GPS locking unit has just stopped working (no longer actuating with the central locking) after less than a few weeks of use.  I'll let you all know if its a quality issue (new product problem).

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/1/2020 at 1:23 PM, Little_Brit said:

The Wunderlich device looks remarkably like the one developed and sold directly by Oldtimers in Slovenia which is where I got mine from, courtesy of the wonders of the internet.  As Claudio says fitting was really easy although it is worth spending some time watching YouTube videos of how to remove the BMW tupperware before you start!  

Not a cheap solution but really good quality and I love that it is completely hidden when installed.  I wouldn't leave the sat-nav on the bike overnight in a public place but at a fuel stop or coffee break I'm comfortable with the situation.  The original release button is just SO easy and tempting for the light fingered if they have any knowledge of the RT. 

Another satified Oldtimers customer here :-)  , first fitted to my 2015 and the 2018 R1200RTs and now on my 2020 R1250RT. Oldtimers have imporoved their product over time, the first ones did not come with BMW electrical fittings and were meant to be "splied" into the wiring loom, glad that has changed!

Anyway I would purchase from Oldtimers rather than Wunderlich if the prices were similar. Wunderlich's first attempt was a horride looking external metal bracket with a non BMW key to lock it, I think they are still selling it for some reason. 

IMHO this should have been part of the GPS Prep setup from BMW.

It would be nice to have but for that kind of money, It's not worth it for me. I prefer to just press the button and put the GPS in my pocket when needed.

YMMV

• Like 1

UPDATE: No issue with the unit. When I installed it, the wires from the locking unit were accidentally pinched by some of the fairing/dash parts causing a severed wire.  Repaired it today and its working as designed.  Just a small lesson in getting to know my new bike.