Jump to content
BeemMeUp

Newbie questions

Recommended Posts

BeemMeUp

New member here, wondering about etiquette rules on this site.  Specifically:

- Is there a best place to do a new member intro posting?  I've seen a few on the generation-specific forums (airheads, oilheads, etc.)

- If a member wanted to document Do It Yourself maintenance done on a bike, would the blog section be appropriate for that?

- I have detected some emotions on help requested topics when multiple respondents provide conflicting advice.  How is that best dealt with, both as the original poster, and as a respondent?

Share this post


Link to post
Rinkydink
2 hours ago, BeemMeUp said:

New member here, wondering about etiquette rules on this site.  Specifically:

- Is there a best place to do a new member intro posting?  I've seen a few on the generation-specific forums (airheads, oilheads, etc.)

- If a member wanted to document Do It Yourself maintenance done on a bike, would the blog section be appropriate for that?

- I have detected some emotions on help requested topics when multiple respondents provide conflicting advice.  How is that best dealt with, both as the original poster, and as a respondent?


 

First and foremost welcome to the forum. Maybe just introduce yourself in whatever specific section your bike fits, oilhead/camhead etc. 

 

There is a section named How To (do it yourself) for posting maintenance videos and tips etc. 

 

 

If I am understanding your last question...as a poster: state year and model of bike, be as concise as possible with symptoms and clues and be cordial. 

As a respondent: sometimes people latch onto a thread late in the game. If you don’t read the whole thread you don’t know what’s been discussed or already tried. It really muddies up the water. You will find we have some sage BMW Riders/techs here, one or two are truly invaluable. Start a new thread of your own for your specific suggestions, questions, or gremlins. 
 

Again, welcome to the melee. 

Share this post


Link to post
chrisolson
1 hour ago, BeemMeUp said:

wondering about etiquette rules on this site. 

 

Hi and welcome  !  

 

(hmmm I wasn't quick enough on the draw :cool: )

  • New member intros can be made in "Motorcycle Talk" regardless of which bike you own.
    • Questions about your specific bike should be made in its specific forum
  • Documenting a maintenance procedure can be done in the bike specific forum.  Posts like that are always appreciated.  It can be moved later to our "How To" section upon request.  Note that the posts in that Forum are reviewed by management to be included there.  You might also do a search via our search function to see if maybe something already exists.
  • Regarding help requests, amongst all of our experienced and knowledgable members, our resident expert is dirtrider, (who is arguably the best source for accurate information on repairs or diagnosis of issues , with clearly written text, pictures and graphics on any forum)  .  No, he doesn't know everything, but If he responds to your question, most likely he's going to be right or help guide you through a diagnostic process to solve the issue.  For you as a responder to another's help request, its really  a courtesy that if there is a diagnosis already in progress, to let that process play out before offering additional advice.

Please enjoy your stay here, participate as much as you like.  We're generally  a pretty friendly group.   And don't forget,  we'd also like to see you on the road at any one of our events.  Any other question, just post or send a PM.

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
BeemMeUp

Thanks, I will do newbie post as you suggest.  Regarding How To section, not really trying to document How To as much as document successes and failures, false starts, etc.  Seems like the blog section might be good for that sort of long-running journal.  It doesn't appear the blogs are used much currently.  Regarding my last question, I am really wondering how to respond when conflicts occur.  As OP, how should one respond when conflicting advice is received?  Ignore the conflict?  Acknowledge all responses?  Encourage further discussion?

Share this post


Link to post
chrisolson
1 minute ago, BeemMeUp said:

Thanks, I will do newbie post as you suggest.  Regarding How To section, not really trying to document How To as much as document successes and failures, false starts, etc.  Seems like the blog section might be good for that sort of long-running journal.  It doesn't appear the blogs are used much currently.

 

Ah, Ok, yes for what you're describing, the blog feature is actually designed for that type of use.  But as you've already noticed, its not used much.  I think that's partly because our old software did not have that feature so many of our members just aren't used to having it.  But I encourage you to have a go at it ... might encourage others to try it out,

 

3 minutes ago, BeemMeUp said:

As OP, how should one respond when conflicting advice is received?  Ignore the conflict?  Acknowledge all responses?  Encourage further discussion?

I don't know that there is any one good answer to that ... as with a lot of things ... "it depends".   Sometimes conflicts are opinions, sometimes issues that sound similar really aren't so it can take a close read to understand where and why conflicting information may exist. And no, auto acknowledgement of any reply posts is not necessary ... 

 

 I think the best advice is to read previous threads/topics (which seems like you already have) ... and you can get a feel for how the board operates.  Again, we're a pretty friendly group and even disagreements are smoothed over quickly.

Share this post


Link to post
BeemMeUp

Good advice, thanks!  I think I'm going to like it here.

Share this post


Link to post
Rinkydink

Sorry chrisolsen. I accessed this thread from unread content and didn’t realize it was a discussion board support question. I apologize for overstepping proper forum etiquette. I’ll take my 50 lashes when most appropriate. 👍

Share this post


Link to post
chrisolson
40 minutes ago, Rinkydink said:

I apologize for overstepping proper forum etiquette. I’ll take my 50 lashes when most appropriate.

 

No overstepping perceived ... you gave an appropriate answer :5223:

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...