IGNORED

MotoGP is Back !

chrisolson

I use the same gadget as Skywagon. A little pricey, but that’s Apple. Works great off my iPad, let’s you connect to any tv you have in the house and not locked in to a particular tv. Like when the wife wants to watch “The Good Doctor” and I want to catch MotoGP or...

Marquez has had a second surgery to repair the titanium plate in his arm . According to a MotoGP article ...

" An accumulation of stress in the operated area has caused the plate to suffer some damage, so today the titanium plate has been removed and replaced by a new fixation  ... Unfortunately, an over stress has caused this issue. Now we have to wait 48 hours to understand the recovery time."

Apparently Marc was working a bit too hard to recover.  With this news, one has to question any attempt of a full race weekend of practice, qualifying and the actual competition.  Honda may step in again and  this time not negotiate an option to try.

It should be interesting because it would definitely confirm he's not human  if he manages to qualify. :14:

he recovers like he rides...with reckless abandon.  He's learning a good lesson.  You aren't bullet proof just because you are young.  As much as I don't want to see him on the podium, he is really an incredible rider.  He is good for the sport.

16 hours ago, chrisolson said:

Honda may step in again and  this time not negotiate an option to try.

Honda has replaced Marquez with Stephen Bradl for the Brno race.   

From the MotoGP website.

"The reigning World Champion had his second operation on Monday the 3rd of August after the first metal plate had been damaged, ruling Marquez out of the upcoming Grand Prix in Brno. And after the news, El Periodico, a Barcelona-based newspaper, is reporting that the reigning World Champion isn’t going to return until we head to Misano in September."

Link HERE

I watched the first two races on NBC.  Coverage of the race was very good - no interruption of the race itself.

I'm not finding MotoGP on my cable network.  Did NBC stop broadcasting the MotoGP races?  Yeah, I know MotoGP Video Pass $$$.

Never mind - I guess they updated the guide.  Czech Republic Race, NBCSP, 7:30 AM - 9:00 AM (EDT).

Marquez is an amazing competitor and exciting to watch.  I wish him well in his recovery.

I watched an interesting video this morning about about the injury today in the MotoGP app.  Seems he probably broke the plate opening a large door at home after the first surgery but before the second race.  He was rechecked after the pain experienced trying to do the second race where the damage was found.  Puig implied that Honda would be more proactive in the recovery process going forward.

Great qualifying session ... as always down to the last few minutes.

A surprising pole ...

Spoiler

Zarco takes the number 1 position !

Rossi was looking good going straight into Q2 but even following Morbdelli did not maintain a good enough pace.   Pretty much a disaster for Miller and Dovi as both qualified poorly.

The race will be a test of rear tire management ... all riders complaining of a lack of rear grip causing wheel spin and instability on corner exit.

Interesting race this morning. New riders and new brands coming to the front.  I like that the least financed team did well even though I don’t care for the rider.  The 2019 Ducati sure looked better than the 2020 this week. The old man had a good ride so it was a shame he qualified so poorly.  Seems the newcomers and satellite teams continue to be the ones to beat. 

4 hours ago, lawnchairboy said:

continue to be unable to log in on phone or desktop to my dorna account for viewing.  sucks. 

What error are you getting ... ? ... I've not had a problem (which doesn't help you   :4317:)  ...

I only use the standard browser to MotoGP.com and have never used a mobile app but if you're trying on desktop an still having a problem there should be way to make it work

3 hours ago, 041100S said:

Johann Zarco third

Great comment from Zarco concerning the incident with Pol ... "We're racing, not dancing"

Looking at it again and again, Pol went a bit wide, and logically Zarco went inside to take advantage, Zarco held his  line and to me it was Pol who came back across and created the contact.   Apparently the marshals felt Zarco was a bit agressive and gave him that long lap penalty instead of a drop back a position so they must have felt Pol also had some responsibility to avoid the contact. Fortunately Zarco made the perfect long lap penalty so it didn't cost him a position.  

There was a Youtube video of the incident and I think it clearly shows that both riders were equal in position and that Pol unfortunately did not see Johann and hit him and he lost. It was a racing incident. In my opinion the Safety commission was wrong in giving Johann a long lap penalty. Johann was giving he penalty for "irresponsible riding", well if you can't try to go by another rider when he goes as wide as Pol did then why is his racing? Should Johann have chopped the throttle to let Pol back in line? I don't think so, looking back over the years this has happened many times and nothing happened and that is what should have happened here. I like both riders, but in this case Pol was the instigator of the fall!

Dovi says he will not ride for Ducati in 2021 !!!  :14:

He has no other ride secured, so at the moment its total speculation as to where, or even if, Dovi will be in MotoGp in 2021. 

The sticking point apparently was money, but if so,  what other team would have the open slot and have the necessary funds to pick him up ?

An amazing year so far ...

• Season almost doesn't start due to Pandemic
  • Marquez crashes and most likely will not contend for Championship
  • Zarco takes a pole position for Ducati on a year old bike and even finishes on podium
  • Binder wins a race for KTM in his 3rd MotoGP appearance
  • Dovi quits Ducati
  • what could be next ????

Aprilla has an open spot currently, Bradley Smith is not confirmed and Andrea Iannone is still out due to a drug infraction in 2019. Won't go to Pramac or Esponsorama since they run Ducatis. 

Tech 3 hasn't been too happy with Lecuona, they might consider buying out his contract to get Dovi.

Given the rise of KTM vs Aprilla , not sure Dovi would want to try Aprilla .  Might just choose to sit out 2021.

Should be a fun race this morning.  Im hoping there is no melee over the first couple of corners since  only 1/2 second covers the first 4 rows., and a possible wet race as well. 

On 8/15/2020 at 2:30 PM, chrisolson said:

The sticking point apparently was money,

They said repeatedly during the weekend's race coverage that money was NOT the issue.

That Moto3 race in Austria was insane!  If you don't usually watch Moto3, watch this one!  It's edge-of-your-seat stuff.  And Moto2 and GP, yikes!

1 minute ago, Bill_Walker said:

They said repeatedly during the weekend's race coverage that money was NOT the issue.

Yeah, thats what they said, but various other reports also said Ducati wanted to cut Dovi's 2020 salary as well  as for any deal in  2021.  

But yes,  the major undercurrent to the story is his horrible relationship with Ducati management  and in particular Gigi Dall'Igna. 

Hate where you work _and_  looking at a cut in pay ??  .... Adios Muchachos 

5 minutes ago, chrisolson said:

Hate where you work _and_  looking at a cut in pay ??  .... Adios Muchachos 

I guess nobody will be calling him "Desmo Dovi" any more.

Marquez  out for at least an additional 2 to 3 months. 

Makes the 2020 Championship  a wide open opportunity for a lot of riders to contest for the top spot.

Quartarro  starting on the 3 rd row for the 2nd race at the Red Bull Ring ... meaning there may be a change of championship leader.