IGNORED

MotoGP is Back !

chrisolson

Season starts back up July 19 .... you can see  events at the same track being held in consecutive weeks as a means to reduce travel and squeeze in more events in the time left for the season.

Can't happen soon enough ... lots of interesting racing should take place as out of practice riders and new , mostly untested machines take to the track.

1073767501_ScreenShot2020-06-11at9_33_57AM.thumb.png.b1c8d2fad2f6097085df9d430481c2b6.png

• Like 1

hooray.  I've been feeding myself on videos of old races.  Watched the first 4-stroke MotoGP race last Sunday which was in the rain and had 2 and 4-stroke machines.  Real ballsy rides by everyone.

• 4 weeks later...

Well just received my notice from COTA...the race in Austin moved from April to November is now cancelled...so no US presence this year.

chrisolson
1 hour ago, Skywagon said:

Well just received my notice from COTA...the race in Austin moved from April to November is now cancelled...so no US presence this year.

Sad, but may well have been influenced by the still in place restriction of visitors from Europe (effects the teams and whole MotoGP infrastructure for holding a race) as well as the Covid-19 problem in Austin itself

Was looking at the recent covid-19 flare up in Spain, but it is in the northwestern Galicia region and the race in Jerez  is far to the south .... hope the geographical separation will let the race procede , but it depends on the Spanish government.

• 2 weeks later...

Fabio is still fabulous ...

On poll for Jerez ... then  Vinales then Marquez 

It looks to be a great race.

4 hours ago, lawnchairboy said:

A hell of a race today.   

You can say that multiple times ... brutal ....

Spoiler

Marquez will not repeat as World Champion.  After an amazing save at over 100 mph, and then coming from almost last to carve back through the field to a sure podium finish ... a horrible high side crash resulting in a badly broken arm  that will sideline him for too many races in this shortened season.

• Like 1

Really tough race in that heat.   I saw later that Marquez received a broken upper arm from being hit by his bike.  Hope he heals ok.    His run from last to what, 3rd or 4th, after his gravel trip was awesome. 

good first race.  Watched it live.  Will be on NBC this afternoon.  Will tune in to see how they do with commercials and other non-sense.

lawnchairboy

I concur Mr. Olson.   That was a stupid hard whack.   I could see that it was a fracture immediately upon seeing the replay.  

Tough day in the racing world.

roadscholar

Reminds me of the old racing adage, "to finish first you first have to finish". It was an epic comeback after the first mistake, until it wasn't. Living on the ragged edge is dicey, even the best can't stay there forever, sooner or later it gets you.. Made for some excellent drama while it lasted though and I'm sorry he couldn't pull it off, was a Herculean effort.  

• Like 1
lawnchairboy
12 hours ago, roadscholar said:

Reminds me of the old racing adage, "to finish first you first have to finish". It was an epic comeback after the first mistake, until it wasn't. Living on the ragged edge is dicey, even the best can't stay there forever, sooner or later it gets you.. Made for some excellent drama while it lasted though and I'm sorry he couldn't pull it off, was a Herculean effort.  

Nobody pushes a front tire like that guy.  And I love Rossi also, but it is time to hang up the spurs.  

duckbubbles
19 hours ago, Skywagon said:

good first race.  Watched it live.  Will be on NBC this afternoon.  Will tune in to see how they do with commercials and other non-sense.

Like others (ESPN F1 coverage, MotoAmerica) the race is covered flag to flag without commercials.  Commercial heavy pre and post race.  Really happy to see that happening.

Frank

• Like 1
roadscholar
1 hour ago, lawnchairboy said:

Nobody pushes a front tire like that guy.  

Now you know why : ) He was lucky on the first one it popped him back up, the 2nd time not so much. You can only defy physics and gravity for so long, they always win in the end. He’ll have some time to think about it.

On 7/19/2020 at 1:29 PM, Skywagon said:

Where do you watch it live? Is the feed ppv? I used to watch it religiously but coverage has moved from the old Speed Channel, MAV TV, ESPN etc. I can’t keep up and admittedly quit chasing it. A big part of my touring used to be Indy, COTA, Daytona and the short track, TT, and mile dirt track races that accompanied the GPs. 

I yearn for some kind of motorcycle channel (MET) with all types of racing, motorcycle movies, Long Way Round and the like, motorcycle news, scoot oriented rides, new product reviews, an infomercial or two, and of course themed commercials. The possibilities seem exciting to me.   I think it could be worth a shot and might succeed if done well. I would pay extra for that to be able to DVR those GP,  and Dakar races that run at 3am in the states to watch later. 

29 minutes ago, Rinkydink said:

Where do you watch it live?

A few years ago after MotoGP kept appearing and then disappearing on cable TV channels I bit the bullet and subscribe thru motogp.com videopass. You can watch any of the practices, qualifying and races live or on demand. Well worth the $150 for the year.  

• Thanks 1

Any idea what caused Marc's crash? I stopped the video a few times and the bike reacts like the front wheel stopped turning. He was riding in a position that would have suggested a low side crash and then the bike jumped in the air and turned almost 90 degrees!

duckbubbles
23 minutes ago, AZgman said:

Any idea what caused Marc's crash? I stopped the video a few times and the bike reacts like the front wheel stopped turning. He was riding in a position that would have suggested a low side crash and then the bike jumped in the air and turned almost 90 degrees!

Ultimately, the rear end broke loose, and then caught traction which resulted in the highside.  The front might have slid first, but what did him in was the rear end.

Frank

Rinkydink...I have a subscription service to https://secure.motogp.com/en/subscribe?gclsrc=aw.ds&&scp=true&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI55LSl9Le6gIV0cDACh0b6QlrEAAYASAAEgI-UfD_BwE

I think it cost $150/year...about the equivalent of $10/race.  It's good because you can watch any race in history, watch the free practice, watch all the qualifying runs, watch gp2 and 3, watch whenever you want or live, interviews with the riders and crews, and on game day they do a good job.  The above link I sent you looks like they are running some sort of free trial.  I didn't read it so I  don't know what it is about.  I like GP2 as well.  Most GP folks came from GP2.  Not too big a fan of GP3

• Thanks 2

There probably will be a lot of pressure for Marquez to return ... hope instead that he's given enough time to heal and gradually work back into racing. 

This year's Championship is history  ... with the shortened, compact schedule and even with a herculean recovery effort, he will have lost too many points so there is no reason to push the envelope.

Better he concentrates on coming back in the last couple of races and dominating as he does to carry momentum into 2021 .  Early on I had not liked Marquez' personality as a representative of the sport ... but there is no denying he is "not human" in his ability to ride a MotGP  bike ... (even considering the high side ... yes , a mistake but the recovery at over 100mph with the front totally lost heading to the gravel and then carving back through the field as if it never happened was/is amazing .)

The thing called Apple TV is just a little  box that you connect to your TV with an HDMI cable.  You pair it to your home WiFI and then when you call up Video Pass on your phone or iPad, with a couple more clicks you have the race on your big screen TV.

VideoPass was my major entertainment during COVID quarantine and I watched every MotoGP race from 2010-2019.  Some Moto2, especially to see Tony Elias who now is a major player in MotoAmerica.  Saw the Simoncelli disaster.

Of course with VideoPass you can watch all the pre-race practices and qualifyings as well as the races for Moto3, Moto2, and MotoGP.  Even MotoE if you can stand it.  All live or even just a few hours later or ... next year.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, bwpsg42 said:

Marquez was declared fit to race this weekend. Scary to think about the possible outcome of another crash. 

Yep ... amazing ... and it will yet be seen if its a good decision or total crap if he starts but finishes out of points which then accomplishes what ? Or worse  has another crash damaging the nerve.

Its obvious Puig is leery of Marc's decision and had already planned, with the agreement of Honda, to "cancel" the race which apparently meant to scratch Marquez as an entry without a replacement. 

The lure of the Championship apparently defies all reason. :16:

Marquez sits out first two practice sessions but is scheduled to take the track tomorrow.  Still a lot of speculation on what will happen.

Vinales tops the FP1 / FP2 combined practice time list.  Rossi found something and is 2nd  .... the Doctor is still in the building !!

Brad Binder is the new sensation for KTM .  Being mentioned as a possible top 5 in only his 2nd MotoGP race.  Sits 3rd in combined practice time so far.

Crutchlow and Rins both struggling.

1 hour ago, lawnchairboy said:

can't believe marquez is suiting up for sunday. 

I don't think he will.  I think he'll go out in practice tomorrow and come back in and park it.  Both Puig and Honda don't want him to risk anything ... according to the announcing team, Honda had packed up Marc's side of the garage and then brought it back and are saying is a "compromise" that Marc will go out on Saturday.

Great show by the old man today. Hope it holds.  As for Marquez, have to agree, I think he’ll ride tomorrow a bit and call it a day, I hope so anyway. He’s not my fan pick but he is off the scale at times and I’d hate to see him get badly injured. 

Cant you just hear Marc saying....I'm faster that all you guys with one arm tied behind my back....and he might be.  I think if he has slip or gravel run this week he may not have the strength to correct it.  I don't care for him but he is an amazing rider and competitor.  Truly no fear..

• Like 1

Wow,  i dislike cruising when it is 100 degrees and these guys are racing balls out. Congrats to the old man For making 4th in qualifying. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, bwpsg42 said:

Congrats to the old man For making 4th in qualifying.

Absolutely ! ... the Doctor still has some life left ...

Marquez did as expected ... made a valiant effort, but being presented with the reality of being off the pace , pain and pressure from Honda ... Marc will not race on Sunday.

Olivera and Bagnia qualified well, but may not have the pace for a full race.

Should be a very good race between Quartararo and Vinales with any one of 6 others close ... less than .5 second covering the top 8 riders.

did you see the time he did on his 1 lap?  Even on 1 lap on cold tires he would have qualified 14-15th...amazing.

lawnchairboy

Only got partial gap race via the app.  Pissed.   All kinds of technical difficulties.  Got the moto 3 and moto 2 races twice.   No GP race save for about a lap and the press conference.

Won't be a subscriber next season.  

On 7/19/2020 at 9:52 PM, Whip said:

I love Rossi.... hate to say it but it is time...give the SRT position to Lorenzo next year. 

3 hours ago, lawnchairboy said:

I might be having breakfast crow.😁

Save a few bites for Larry...

• Haha 1

Yamaha engine issues may jeopardize Quartararo's and all the other Yamaha riders championship standings. 

Engines are received by the teams as "sealed" by the factory and teams are allocated only 5 engines for the season.  Engines can not be opened up for repairs, only electronic issues can be addressed ... so engines like Rossi's red dash light and Morbidelli's "it just stopped" could be electronic problems and fixed and the engines reused.

The problem is Vinales has already unsealed all 5 of his engines, Rossi , Quartaro and Mobridelli have unsealed 4.  This means Maverick only has "used" engines available for the rest of the season.  But clearly, all the Yamaha riders have almost no "new" engines to fall back on for the rest of the season. 

If any have to go to a sixth engine, the rider must start from the pit lane ... not a pleasant thought.

lawnchairboy

Too bad, I hope the yammie crew holds it together engine wise, it is nice to see SRT and factory teams having bikes in contention.

Bill_Walker
On 7/26/2020 at 7:19 AM, lawnchairboy said:

Only got partial gap race via the app.  Pissed.   All kinds of technical difficulties.  Got the moto 3 and moto 2 races twice.   No GP race save for about a lap and the press conference.

I had no problem.  What device were you watching on?  I was using my iPad and displaying via AirPlay to my AppleTV.  There's a page in the app, I think called Videos (and from there you can select "No Spoiler", which I have set as my default) that just gives you a list of links to each video, with a separate one one for each class' warm-up and race.  I've never watched other than from that page, so I don't understand how you'd get any race twice.

If my opinion, if you are really into watching MotoGP, WorldSBK, and MotoAmerica Superbike is to purchase the video pass for each. For MotoGP yo get to watch all practices, qualifying, and races either live or on demand and  for WorldSBK all the races plus all superbike practice and qualifying. This can be watched on either a computer or tablet. If you get a Roku or Amazon Firestick you can watch it on your TV. For Motoamerica subscribe to their Motoamericalive+ and watch on your computer or tablet, all races and most if not all practice sessions and qualifying. Yes, they each cost but you get so much more than other outlets. Have all of these since their inception and do not regret it, almost better than being at the races!

I just use this and a usb cable to connect my Ipad to the hdmi port on my tv. It also will work off of iphone.  works great.  Apple Lightning to Digital AV Adapter